“Perfect location, stunning hotel”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #27 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Sofitel St James was top of the line for my husband and I's recent trip to London. It was in the most perfect location, walking distance between Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Parliament, and Westminister Abbey. The other side is between Trafalger square and Picadilly Circus. Covent Garden is up the street too! Great area for shopping as well, designer and department stores galore! There are 3 tube (subway/underground) stations within a 2 minute walk. It was perfect for someone seeing the sights. The staff and conceirge were very helpful. We got in at 9am and were shown our room immediatly. The concierge made dinner reservations for the same night (our anniversary) and even told the restaurant it we were celebrating so they brought us a special dessert! He also helped with our train schedule for a trip to Dover.
The room was spacious and only lacking a lot of closet space. They had 2 small "wardrobes" but they didn't hold much. The bell boy did offer another luggage rack but I used the large windowsill as a makeshift dresser. The bed was so comfortable, lots of down pillows, down comforter and down overlay on the mattress. The room came stocked with robes and slippers. The bathroom toiletries were Hermes and although they smelled nice, were too strong for me.
The Rose Lounge was a perfect spot for traditional afternoon tea, complete with a harp player. The tea was literally bottomless, and the sandwiches, scones and french pastries were divine. We did not dine in any other of the hotels restaruants. All in all I would reccomend this hotel to anyone and stay there again next time I was in London.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sofitel London St James

Reviewed April 18, 2009

We had a great time here on business, would recommend it.

G

[--]

Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Theclearboxstore
Reviewed April 14, 2009

This hotel is ideally situated only a 3 minute walk from Piccadilly Circus but in a quiet location just off Pall Mall. The rooms are well appointed, well maintained and reasonably sized. The bed was, like all Sofitels, very comfortable. Last stay I found the service people a bit reserved but on this stay they were warm , friendly and helpful. They now have free internet in the room and although you can pay for super high speed the regular connection was reasonably quick and did just fine. One quibble, although we stayed a week, they still charged me 2 pounds for 15 minutes of access to the computer in the business centre in order to print my boarding pass .

Our room was excellent value for London as it was a "luxury" room of very good size for 200 pounds a night , including taxes.

We ate in the restaurant one evening and it was very good. The usual very expensive London hotel breakfast is available there ( 24 pounds plus taxes).

We have stayed at the Bentley and Hotel 41 and enjoyed them both but prefer this hotel for value and location.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights last week. very nice but not 5* like four seasons. They gave me a room upgrade. Great location but a few things that take away from the 5 *. The furnishings were top quality but one of the towels one day was frayed and the shower door did not close properly. nit picking but if you are 5 star you should be 5*

Restaurant is quite nice

Would recommend but if you get a deal. Staff are very nice as well tho.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank dp123
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Nice rooms – never slept better in a hotel. Very quiet – good beds – very clean, if you stepped out for a minute, they cleaned it up. They prepared the room for the night also (brought out slippers, prepared the bed, put out water + + ) – I stayed at a Deluxe room with OK view (of some buildings).

Excellent service, tough they were eager to sell me an upgrade….

Location, location, location – smak in the middle of everything. A close walk to the tube, shopping, theatre and of course pub’s and restaurants.

All in all a very good hotel – diden’t try the restaurants in the hotel, but I am sure they are ok to.

But all this costs, if you can afford it – book this hotel

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We chose to stay in this hotel based on reviews found on Tripadvisor, and we definitely chose right. The staff is very friendly (many are french), the lobby is very elegant, the rooms, even though are not very large, are exactly what you would expect in a Sofitel. The breakfast is very good and there are a lot of dishes to choose from. There is free Wifi in every room and in the lobby.
The location of the hotel is very good. We were in walking distance from Soho, from Trafalgar Square, from Bond Street, from Oxford Street. The Underground station of Piccadilly is also 8 minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I love this hotel. I don't think I've ever used the word immaculate. But this is the word to describe our room. The room was spotless. The location was very centrally located to tourist sites. It's in an upscale neighborhood. At the time, it was very reasonably priced for what we got in return. I had concerns about the staff. They were helpful with directions and recommendations. And when our room wasn't ready by check in - they treated us to afternoon tea while we waited a brief 15 minutes. But I had some questions about our room rate - because it was inconsistent with what I booked originally. When I inquired about it, the staff was a little rude and they took forever to get back to me. But that all said, I would still recommend this hotel because I feel as though the benefits outweigh the drawbacks of the annoying staff.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple