“Lovely hotel in a great location”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #24 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I chose the Sofitel because of its location and reputation, and we thought the price we paid was very reasonable for a central London hotel.
Our pleasant stay started from our early morning arrival, when we found our room was ready. Bliss! Although the room wasn't huge, it was attractive, and the bathroom was large and well appointed.
The location was wonderful, we were able to walk to so many of London's main attractions.
We enjoyed breakfast there one morning, and the food and service were outstanding. I was sorry we didn't get to try their high tea.
We did eat dinner there one night, and it was quite good.
The hotel itself was very elegant, and the staff were very helpful.
I wouldn't stay anywhere else while in London, and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maussie54
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

I thank you for your kind feedback.

Indeed we are centrally located yet on the quiet Waterloo Place.

I felt proud of my whole team when reading that they have provided you with an "outstanding" service.

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your breakfast and dinner in our restaurant The Balcon. We only serve the freshiest seasonal products on the market.

I hope you will have the time to pamper yourself with the Afternoon Tea at The Rose Lounge upon your next stay. We have kept the English tradition and have added to it a twist of French elegance.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have been staying at the St James regularly for the past 8 years and I have never, never been desapointed.
Maintaining such a level of excellence is quite an achievement. Well done to every member of staff of make each stay a special one.
Simply the best hotel in London on all account.
Don't look further, you will not be desapointed

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

I truly thank you for your loyalty towards Sofitel London St James!

Thank you also for highly praising our standards of service.

We all look forward to welcoming you back for many many more years.

A très bientôt,

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Sofitel St James recently and we were really pleased with the overall Sofitel experience. Room was an ok size, with all the plush comfort of Sofitel! Lovely bedding and towels. Food was to a high quality with some quirky twists! Loved the black pudding scotch egg with pickle. Fantastic location for business and sight seeing! We will stay in this hotel again as its location for the theatres, restaurants and London sights was second to non.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for such positive a feedback.

I am glad to hear that you have very much enjoyed the food served in our restaurant The Balcon.

Indeed our central yet quiet location is one of our assets.

We then look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My Husband and I booked a trip as a gift to your son and his fiancé.The one thing I insisted on was that the four of us stay at the Sofital St.James. We all agreed that our stay at this hotel made the difference between having just a vacation and Having one of the Best vacations! Location was super convent - staffing top notch, warm, caring, helpful- lovely rooms- super ambiance all around ( something as simple as the flowers were changed daily in the lobby was so lovely to see and experience ) Fabulous spa - loved the high tea!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

I am most pleased to hear that you have been enchanted by the whole team at Sofitel London St James. Indeed we genuinely love to indulge all of our guests and they can tell that our service comes from the heart.

I thank you also for pointing out our "fabulous" So-SPA.

The Rose Lounge where you have had your Afternoon Tea is the perfect room to be pampered in the English tradition with a French touch.

We look ofrward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Our recent stay here,was a memorable week in the life...As a grand prize winner of a contest by the Coca-Cola Co.,with almost all expenses paid,we chose London and this fine Hotel.The staff was very competent and helpfull.Many spoke French,which was appreciated by my wife.Our Superior room was quite adequate.The breakfast buffet had a plentiful selection to choose from.The Hotel's great location in the heart of the west-end.permitted us to visit much of the best attractions by foot or by the city's double-decker buses to get to some farther attractions using the Oyster Card wich is easy and cheap to use..Overall,found London to be a great place to visit, ,very clean city and not that expensive if you take the time to search in advance of your trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

I am so pleased to hear that you and your wife have had such a "memorable week" at Sofitel London St James! Thank you for pointing this out in your feedback!

We look forward to welcoming you back as often as possible as Canada is a bit far away.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here for one night as we had to go to The ExCel for business and decided to try it, our first time in a Sofitel Hotel but the reviews on Tripadvisor were very good.
We checked in and they kindly upgraded our room which was very nice, but when we got to the room they had upgraded us to a Luxury Disabled room which didn’t have a bath but a large shower.
We decided to go back to reception and ask to change as we preferred a bath and a shower, this was done without any real issue and we have a very nice room on the 6th floor.
One thing I will say about this hotel is that the rooms are very quiet to say it is in the centre of London and you cannot hear any traffic noise.
We went for lunch at The Balcon restaurant which was very good and I have already reviewed this.
We went out that night for a meal but when returning to the hotel we tried The St James Bar and yet again great staff, great atmosphere and had a really good time.
Breakfast – this was really very good, the best breakfast I have had in a 5 star hotel in a very long time and would recommend to anyone any day of the week.
When we were leaving the restaurant after breakfast a member of the management team came over to my Husband and myself to say there had been an issue with our car and that they had damaged one of the wheels getting it out of the car park, but not for us to worry as they would sort all of this out for us as the damage was enough to need the wheel replacing.

The reason why I have not reviewed the hotel before now was the simple fact that I wanted to make sure they were true to their word and that they would sort this out, which I am very happy to say they have and that we have booked again to stay for 2 nights in June and if the service and food is as good as before this place will now be our preferred London hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NooLeeds

I thank you for your generous feedback about Sofitel London St James as well as about our restaurant The Balcon!

I thank you for mentioning the good atmosphere you have felt all over the hotel areas. As a matter of fact we proud ourselves in delivering high standards of services in a genuine way. I am pleased to hear that you have felt so.

We look forward to welcoming you back in June.

A bientôt.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and i spent 4 nights on this hotel. The hotel is very beautiful and luxurious, the staff is great and make you feel easy. The breakfast is fantastic! The room was a little but small for the price but inside of the room you have all the convinient goods to make your stay very confortable.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ClaraAB

I thank you for your praise regarding the high level of service provided by the whole team at Sofitel London St James.

I am very pleased to read that you have had a "fantastic breakfast" as we proud ourselves in using only the freshiest products on the market.

We look forward to your next visit.

A bientôt,