Booked two nights for two people in a superior double through a booking agent - and was shocked at the extremely small dark room we were allocated on arrival. Couldn't contact anyone to dicuss, as the whole phone system wasn't taking internal or external calls, but kept telling us we had messages waiting!
Went down to query whether this was indeed a superior double with our receptionist who was very evasive about their room categories. She did eventually find us a similarly styled but slightly bigger room which was acceptable, although made it clear that this was something of a big deal, as she had to check with her supervisor. Disappointing to subsequently find that the original room allocated was a 'classic', generally sold for single occupancy, and that our 'upgraded' alternative reluctantly provided was in fact the 'superior' we had booked!
The outlook from both rooms was poor, but our eventual room was comfortable, quiet, and well equiped with a comfy bed. Having experienced many London 5 stars, the first option was just not good enough, when compared with the competition.
From this unpromising start with reception, I have to say that the hotel is lovely in very many respects, clean and in good condition, stylish and comfortable, well located, and generally with the most charming helpful staff. Afternoon tea is excellent, bar service and ambiance good (although bar rather small), and breakfast fresh and very pleasant in a lovely room. It does have quite an intimate, quality feel.
Would otherwise have given five stars if it had not been for the disappointing first impression, but first impressions do really count, and we were expecting to be wowed on the basis of TA reviews. As it appears they have many different sizes of room, and some very small ones, do clarify this if it is an important factor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel London St James lies discreetly at the very heart of London. Created in a magnificent grade II listed building, the 183-room hotel boasts accommodation to suit every taste. The hotel features a restaurant, "The Balcon," an elegant cocktail bar, the St James Bar and a chic yet cosy Rose Lounge, ideal for afternoon tea. The hotel is the perfect place to unwind with So FIT, a gym and relaxation space, and a luxurious spa, So SPA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, TravelUp, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Sofitel London St James reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel St James London Hotel London
- Accor St James London
- Sofitel London St James England
- London Sofitel St James