“Amazing”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #27 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Amazing”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

best hotel in London and in heart of the city
Maybe the best hotel i ever been!!!! I traveled here in the start of January for business with my company and i really loved this place!! Its a bit expensive for me but i am glad i experienced the beauty and comfort of this hotel!! The rooms and the service are beyond any expectation!! Totally recommended to all!!!the food and service is amazing, the room was very well equipped and don't miss the spa experience :)

• Stayed January 2013
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
What a joy to read your positive feedback!. Thank you for that.

We are extremely pleased to be your "best hotel in London".

We genuinely love to indulge our guests and to exceed their expectations in terms of standards of service. I am truly glad to hear that we have reached our aim.

Thank you also for pointing out the great food served at our restaurant The Balcon.

A bientôt,

Denis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was our second stay at the Sofitel London St James and we were not disappointed. The hotel is in a great location and the staff were as helpful and friendly as we remembered. The rooms are very nice and have all the amenities you would expect from a hotel of this standard. The bed and pillows deserve a special mention as they are really comfortable and you will be sure of a great night’s sleep. We would highly recommend this hotel and will hopefully be returning soon ourselves.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I thank you for such positive a feedback. It really served as an encouragement to the whole team to keep on providing high standards of service in a genuine way.

We look forward to your next stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

From the moment of booking, I knew I had done the right thing. I arranged the hotel for my husband's 40th Birthday and we had a glorious time, quality comes at a price. The room was delightful and the staff had prepared a nice welcome cake. The location was brilliant, right near The Mall so we walked to Buckingham Palace. We had breakfast in our room and it was so delicious, needed the walk to burn some calories off !
All in all, I would recommend this hotel and I will be definitely be staying there again..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We were truly happy to pleasantly surprise you for your husband's 40th birthday. This happens once in a life time! We did not want to miss the occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back and not only for big occasions.

Florianopolis, Brazil
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and i stayed at the Sofitel London St James as a prelude to our ski vacation. As this is the first time I have commented in Trip Advisor i will keep my comments short. The staff in the hotel were very friendly, professional and welcoming, first class! The breakfast was exceptional as were the hotel facilities. The room was a touch small for a superior however very clean and well presented. I am a platinum member of 2 airlines and one hotel chain, meaning i spent a lot of time in hotels, thus meaning this visit was held in very high regard. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I felt very proud of my team while reading your feedback. I thank you for such positive comments. I am truly glad to hear that we have fullfiled your high expectations in terms of services.

Indeed we genuinely try our utmost to please and indulge all of our guests.

We then look forward to welcoming you back very soon even if Brazil is far away from the United Kingdom.

Wendover, England
Reviewed January 28, 2013

A really nice top London Hotel in a great location. Situated at the end of Regent St and within minutes of Regent St, Covent Garden and a 10-min walk to Oxford St. Stayed in a Superior which was very nice and a decent size as was the bathroom, all the amenities you would expect, robes, slippers and tea/coffee making facilities. Rooms are not as nice as the Corinthia in decor, but still good and a great comfortable bed. Staff make this hotel, friendly (70% are French), efficient and courteous. Nice bar, busy and again the staff were excellent. Spa is small, make sure you book. Again staff were great and the treatment we had, a 60-min massage was excellent albeit at a price of £90 each. Jacuzzi and steam room only no pool. We paid £264 room only and we happy and felt it was value for money. You won't be disappointed

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It is extremely satisfying to hear that we have fullfiled your expectations in terms of services. We genuinely love to look after our guests and I can tell that you have noticed it.

I am also pleased to read that you have enjoyed the atmosphere at the St James Bar.

We then look forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I went for afternoon tea in the Rose Room. Upon arrival, my friend and I were taken to a table and seated in the corner of what was quite an empty room. There were more comfortable tables and seats available which weren't offered to us. The staff were polite and courteous but in a place like this I expect more attention to detail. The staff could have come across as more genuine for example. The food and champagne were lovely though and I couldn't fault their cakes. I came here on the advice of a friend and their experiences have been better than mine. On that basis I would return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steve P
Dear guest,

I thank you for your feedback.

Please allow me to inform you that the Rose Lounge is almost fully booked every day. You were surely not placed in a corner as the Rose Lounge is extremely pleasant.

I truly hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back very soon.

With my best regards,

Denis.
Montreux, Switzerland
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,065 helpful votes
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed 1 night in January 2013 and choosed this luxury hotel based on TA's ranking, situation and service Sofitel offer as well as the bed which is always famous. The claim of the hotel is "Life is magnifique" so we wanted to enter this magnifique world.

So I must say that service standards at the check-in is good and they desserve thumbs up (as well for the concierge and the doormen). Lobby is well appointed and offer a good atmoshpere upon arrival.

But my concerns are about the service at the breakfast in The Balcon restaurant. Staff is nice and courteous but slow and forgot some of our order. What a shame.
And the breakfast buffet is not big enough. No cook to order omelette (egg station) like other luxury hotel brands. No sushi. No pancakes.
So not the best buffet breakfast we've experienced in 5* hotels around the world.
Could offer more for the price paid.

The room offered was big and this is very nice for London. It was on 5th floor so quiet as well. I liked the bathroom very well. My wife too.
Downside of the room is finally the bed which was surprinsigly not very comfortable so a little sad about that. (maybe an older version of the so mybed?)
Free wifi provided.

Location is very central and near all the major attractions (Piccadilly, Leicester Sq, Trafalgar, Buckingham Palace...) and for shopping and dining.

All in all, a good but not great experience so we might come back next time of the price is right.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, higher floor