“Very good hotel, great location and friendly staff”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #25 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 28, 2013

A really nice top London Hotel in a great location. Situated at the end of Regent St and within minutes of Regent St, Covent Garden and a 10-min walk to Oxford St. Stayed in a Superior which was very nice and a decent size as was the bathroom, all the amenities you would expect, robes, slippers and tea/coffee making facilities. Rooms are not as nice as the Corinthia in decor, but still good and a great comfortable bed. Staff make this hotel, friendly (70% are French), efficient and courteous. Nice bar, busy and again the staff were excellent. Spa is small, make sure you book. Again staff were great and the treatment we had, a 60-min massage was excellent albeit at a price of £90 each. Jacuzzi and steam room only no pool. We paid £264 room only and we happy and felt it was value for money. You won't be disappointed

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

It is extremely satisfying to hear that we have fullfiled your expectations in terms of services. We genuinely love to look after our guests and I can tell that you have noticed it.

I am also pleased to read that you have enjoyed the atmosphere at the St James Bar.

We then look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I went for afternoon tea in the Rose Room. Upon arrival, my friend and I were taken to a table and seated in the corner of what was quite an empty room. There were more comfortable tables and seats available which weren't offered to us. The staff were polite and courteous but in a place like this I expect more attention to detail. The staff could have come across as more genuine for example. The food and champagne were lovely though and I couldn't fault their cakes. I came here on the advice of a friend and their experiences have been better than mine. On that basis I would return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steve P

Dear guest,

I thank you for your feedback.

Please allow me to inform you that the Rose Lounge is almost fully booked every day. You were surely not placed in a corner as the Rose Lounge is extremely pleasant.

I truly hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back very soon.

With my best regards,

Denis.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed 1 night in January 2013 and choosed this luxury hotel based on TA's ranking, situation and service Sofitel offer as well as the bed which is always famous. The claim of the hotel is "Life is magnifique" so we wanted to enter this magnifique world.

So I must say that service standards at the check-in is good and they desserve thumbs up (as well for the concierge and the doormen). Lobby is well appointed and offer a good atmoshpere upon arrival.

But my concerns are about the service at the breakfast in The Balcon restaurant. Staff is nice and courteous but slow and forgot some of our order. What a shame.
And the breakfast buffet is not big enough. No cook to order omelette (egg station) like other luxury hotel brands. No sushi. No pancakes.
So not the best buffet breakfast we've experienced in 5* hotels around the world.
Could offer more for the price paid.

The room offered was big and this is very nice for London. It was on 5th floor so quiet as well. I liked the bathroom very well. My wife too.
Downside of the room is finally the bed which was surprinsigly not very comfortable so a little sad about that. (maybe an older version of the so mybed?)
Free wifi provided.

Location is very central and near all the major attractions (Piccadilly, Leicester Sq, Trafalgar, Buckingham Palace...) and for shopping and dining.

All in all, a good but not great experience so we might come back next time of the price is right.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, higher floor
1  Thank SwissAirTraveler

I am truly pleased to hear that you have had an overall enjoyable experience at Sofitel London St James.

I am sorry to hear that you were not quite satisfied with your breakfast. Indeed we offer hot dishes A La Carte in order to keep them fresh.

I look forward to your next visit in our centrally located hotel.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Simple to review really, from the guys on the front door who rush to collect your case to the barmen to the reception staff etc. etc. the service was just perfect.

The food also was absolutely beautiful. Pleasure from start to finish.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PaulMcTheKnife

I could not fell happier while reading your feedback. I truly thank you for pointing out our "perfect service". I am really glad to hear that your experience with us was magnifique.

I can tell that you have also very much enjoyed our "absolutely beautiful" food.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

A bientôt,

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed at the St. James for four days over New Year's. Interesting mix of people (French, Italian, English mostly). Service was awesome. The staff went out of their way to please help with every request. The mini suite had a great view and was very comfy altho furnishings were showing signs of wear. Bathroom was excellent and well-stocked. We loved the bar - very comfortable and elegant. Great location. We walked everywhere from the hotel. We only took a cab to and from the airport.

1  Thank JackieC655

It was a pleasure to welcoming you and to offering you our undivided attention.

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed so much our St James Bar. It is indeed cosy and we like to personalize our service.

Looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Very nice hotel! Good location, nice art, cosy bar and very friendly staff!
Well equiped rooms with a super-shower.
We recommend it to everyone!
1 tiny remark: maybe they should inform you when your room has no view and is located at the inside of a very narrow courtyard. To be clear: this wasn't really an issue for us since we were city-tripping and were mostly outside our room during daytime.

WDV & NC

Room Tip: See our remark if this item is important to you.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

I thank you for your very positive feedback and I am truly glad to hear that you have had a "marvellous' experience with us.

We genuinely love to indulge all of our guests and I can tell that you have noticed it.

We look forward to your next visit.

A bientôt,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My sister and I were treated with such friendly and courteous service - it's no wonder we keep coming back to this truly first class hotel . We like to use it as our base to visit the ballet ( a short walk to the Coliseum) and other cultural sights in London ( this time it was Tate Britain & The British Library for its excellent Mughal Empire exhibition) and we always feel immensely comfortable and cosseted. They cannot do enough for you and the place is so clean and garlanded with such beautiful flowers. Laura kindly upgraded us to a lovely room with all modern amenities. The beds are wonderful and after a busy evening they gave us a great nights sleep.
Breakfast was ample and freshly cooked. Loads of variety to suit all tastes - my sister loves their Eggs Benedict . We had a pre theatre meal the night previous and price was very reasonable for our two courses and the mackerel with risotto and olive garnish was excellent. Don't forget the bar of an evening. Service is excellent and atmosphere lovely. We will be back - soon I hope!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Gloucs
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

We were delighted to welcome you and your sister at Sofitel London St James.

Indeed our central location is quite an asset both for leisure & business purposes.

The Executive Chef and I were truly pleased to hear that you have enjoyed so much your breakfasts & pre-theatre dinners.

We look forward to your next visit.