WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #29 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Rome, Italy
“No privacy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

When I stay at a hotel I never ask for room cleaning and towel change. It's because I don't want to be disturbed and I do not want to make unnecessary wastes using new towels day by day.
I always use the "do not disturb" tag on my door, so I have used it here at Sofitel as well.
Returning after a long day from the city, I realized that somebody was in my room and all the towels were changed. I was very upset, but I didn't make complaint than cause I had no time and energy for it.
The day after when I left my room I heard that somebody (I guess the manager of the housekeepers, who seemed to be Russian or something Eastern-European) was shouting to a housekeeper lady who denied to enter a room which was signed with "do not disturb" tag.
That was the time when I understood that the "obtrusion" to my room was not the decision of the housekeeper but this is the policy of this hotel!
This is shame!
I pay for a 5* hotel cause I would like to got what I WANT not what the manager thinks! That's why I use the tag on my door.
But it seems nobody cares about it at this hotel!
It was the last time I stayed at a Sofitel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Danco9
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
I am truly sorry to hear about this incident. Allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Sometimes guests press this "Do Not Disturb" button without noticing it however please rest assured that I will liaise with the Executive Housekeeper about this issue in order to avoid any future occurence.

I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back.

With my best regards,

Denis Dupart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I love Sofitels . They always seem to be these elegant , refined , quiet oases in frantic city centres. St James Sofitel is a fine example . Great situation down from Piccadilly where you can park and unload outside without the fear of being towed away immediately . The hotel looks after the parking. Easy walikng to the west end.

Elegant rooms , nothing to disturb ones peace all over the hotel . Recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Our first aim was to make a haven of peace for our guests and I am glad to hear that you have perfectly felt this atmosphere at Sofitel London St James.

I thank you for recommending the hotel to TripAdvisor surfers.

We then look forward to your next stay.

Devonport, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great location for exploring London's West End. Very attentive staff. Room was a little smaller than expected and lacked any view but very comfortable. Accor benefits provided included free internet and late checkout.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John D
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Indeed we are centrally located however on the quiet Waterloo Place which is very convenient after a hectic day in the busy London.

I thank you for pointing out our very attentive staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have generally found London hotels overpriced and disappointing. The Sofitel was terrific from the moment we arrived - the reception was extremely courteous and efficient, without being pretentious. Our room was lovely, had every comfort you needed and above all, was fantastically quiet - even though the surrounding rooms were occupied, you couldn't hear a sound from anywhere. This was ideal for us, as we are a bit noise sensitive to say the least. The hotel also went the extra mile - my visit was primarily to celebrate my birthday and when I arrived back at the hotel from afternoon shopping, there was a beautiful birthday cake and a red rose awaiting me in my room. This was a lovely, unexpected surprise and solely down the staff on reception picking up that it was my birthday when we were chatting about evening plans when we checked in at reception. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and it will definitely be my first choice next time I stay in London.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Suffolkwanderer
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
We were delighted to pleasantly surprise you with a birthday cake. We genuinely love to indulge all of our guests. We cannot help it.

Our central location is also one of our assets.

We then look forward to your next visit.

LONDON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I requested, or thought I did, a twin bed, when I cliqued " twin bed" at reservation time. On arrival I made reception aware of my mistake and asked to kindly redress it. They did not say no but it came at a price: 50 extra £ per night. Now I know the hotel was not crowded and, in addition, initial fare was not a. So, a little gesture woul have made me a more faithful client. The stinginess did not reflect the environing Christmas spirit. Otherwise everything was top rate, especially personnel who are courteous and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank DAVID E
I am truly glad to hear that we have met your expectations in terms of high standards of service which has enhanced so much your stay with us.

We look forward to your next stay.

A bientôt,