“Fabulous”

Ranked #24 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Highly recommend the Rose Lounge at The St James Hotel fabulous. Took my friend there for afternoon tea. Been to many hotels for this & I would rate this one very highly a wonderful afternoon spent. The champange cocktails were the best I have tasted. Service was wonderful will be going back to this one. The lounge it was was very comfortable and a harpist played which was a very nice touch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Midnightflyers
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I thank you for mentioning the very special atmosphere we have created for the Afternoon Tea at The Rose Lounge. Indeed you enter a haven of peace on the sound of a harmonious harp.

All is made out to make you feel like carried away in victorian times through our rose bubble.

We look forward to welcoming you back as well as your friends.

Denis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We have recently stayed at three different Sofitel's: london, chicago, NYC. We love the hotels for their exemplary service in all respects but one: The internet service is simply awful. It is expensive (the "free" access is absurdly slow and virtually unusable). And even after you have paid for higher speed it is creaky and slow, disconnects you frequently, requires constant reentry of passwords, prevents access to your normal servers -- all around, completely unworthy of a hotel that is in almost all other respects wonderful. We are done with this. We thought initially it might just be one hotel in the chain. But they are all awful in this respect. So if you enjoy being part of the modern world, or simply need to be for business purposes, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank SusanMagusan
It was a pleasure to hear that you have very much appreciated our "exemplary level of service" and I thank you for pointing this out on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to read that our internet service did not meet your expectations. The complimentary channel is usually enough to browse any websites however you would have to upgrade in order to download movies.

I really hope to welcoming you back.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Our son was getting married in London and we decided to stay in a top class hotel for the weekend. Our expectations were a little dashed even before we arrived when my husband rang the concierge to try to arrange an appointment at a local barber to be shaved. He was put on hold for 5 minutes and then asked what time he wanted to go on the London Eye!!
We booked a superior double.The room (129) was disappointing - small, not very appealing and looking out into a dingy 'light well'. It was just as well we were only staying for 2 nights as there was very little space to hang our clothes and few drawers for our other belongings.
As we had full wedding regalia to carry, we decided to rely on the hotel toiletries and 'in room' hospitality - a mistake! There were no biscuits on the tea tray (an essential for me!), and no body lotion in the bathroom. The bathrobes and towels which we expected to be soft and fluffy were hard and scratchy. The hairdryer was inadequate.The mattress 'topper' did not disguise the hardness of the bed underneath but at least the quilt and pillows were wonderfully soft and cosy.
The breakfast was a total fiasco. On the Saturday morning it resembled a rugby scrum. Too many guests and not enough staff left us waiting for coffee and when I asked for vinegar it took 10 minutes to appear. The concept of a 'full english' seemed foreign to the caterers with pallid bacon, peppery sausages and cheese on the tomatoes. The lids on the self serve pans needed superman to lift them and the toaster burnt anything inserted. On the Sunday a request for poached eggs seemed too difficult for the first 2 staff asked who ignored it completely and then took 15 minutes to appear after the third request.
Checkout was another 'scrum'.
On the plus side the public rooms of this hotel are very attractive and the current display of sculptures is brilliant. The staff are pleasant and attentive but sometimes their less than perfect comprehension of the English language was a little daunting.
'Window dressing' is not what we were looking for and the facilities in the room failed to live up to expectations.

Room Tip: Don't pick room 129!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JanetW49
I thank you for your detailed feedback.

Please rest assured that I will liaise with the different departments managers in order to avoid future occurence.

I am however pleased to hear that you have found our staff pleasant.

We look forward to your next stay.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2012

During my recent trip to London, my lovely host realised that her spare room had accidentally been overbooked for a night. I said: "Excellent! I'm going to have a really indulgent stay in a fabulous hotel, with spa treatments, and lots of cocktails. If that sounds appealing to you, I would love for you to join me as my guest."

I have stayed at the Sofitel Melbourne a few times, and now it is my favourite place to take out-of-town guests for afternoon tea. But as much as I enjoy the Melbourne property, it did not prepare me at all for how wonderful the Sofitel St James was.

The property itself is beautiful, and all the amenities are to the highest standard. Every staff member I interacted with was perfection: friendly, helpful, warm, impeccably professional. The impression given was that it was absolutely delightful to be of assistance.

We enjoyed the atmosphere and service in the Rose Lounge, sipping tea and delicious hot chocolate and nibbling on delicate afternoon tea treats. Frankly, if I were local, I would be visiting the Rose Lounge to sit and catch up with friends weekly.

My friend and I had the traditional hamam scrubs with one hour massages at the SO Spa. The experience was divine, particularly the "recovery room" where we were served boutique tea and allowed to rest quietly after the treatment.

Dinner at The Balcon restaurant was a highlight of my entire trip to the UK. I live to eat, so I could barely contain my delight at the impressive seasonal produce, cooked to perfection. A smoked trout and blood orange salad was so light and balanced and vibrant that I wish I were eating it right now. But my main of lemon sole in brown butter with capers quickly shot up to my top ten list of memorable meals.

My friend and I then spent a very long evening in the bar, drinking cocktails and catching up on our lives, everything that has changed in the two years since she moved to the UK. Every cocktail was delicious, the service was memorably wonderful, and as I have been telling everyone with disbelief since I returned: the bar snacks are truffles. Because when you're drinking sweet wines and cocktails, the staff want to palate-match the bar snacks. Amazing.

The room was very comfortable and perfectly quiet. Lovely bathroom, plenty of clothes storage space, fantastic shower, etc.

Finally, the only quibbles I have:

1) I booked through the Sofitel St James website, but despite specifically booking a room with 2 singles, and re-confirming this on check-in, the bed was made up as a king, and we had to ask reception to split the beds after turn-down service.

2) When booking the spa treatments, I was specifically asked if we would like joint or separate rooms for the massage. I requested separate, but again, we were put into a joint treatment room for the massage.

3) Breakfast in the restaurant wasn't quite up to the standard of the previous experiences, but in my experience, hotel breakfasts never exceed expectations. Also it is a little confusing if you want eggs (they need to be ordered separately from the buffet), and the waitstaff did not volunteer to explain how it worked -- as a result my friend accidentally ended up with two breakfasts.

4) The temperature of the hotel was uncomfortably warm. Luckily this could be adjusted in the bedroom.

5) No top sheets/flat sheets were provided for the beds. This was an unpleasant surprise, only discovered when I was incredibly tired and actually climbing into bed. The bed was also so soft that I'm not sure I would be comfortable sleeping on it for more than one night.

These quibbles were all extremely minor, and the stay can simply be summed up as heavenly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank epw2012
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
We were all impressed by your feedback and we thank you for so many compliments regarding our genuine attention when looking after our guests.

I thank you for pointing out the So-SPA being "divine" as well as the St James Bar and our restaurant The Balcon.

I took good note of your constructive remarks and will make sure it does not happen again during your future stays.

A très bientôt,

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

the Staff at Sofitel St James could not have made us feel more welcome or cherished. They were warm, kind and welcoming. We have a fabulous experience from the moment we walked through the door to the moment we left. I could not recommend this Hotel too highly. Everything was of the highest order; the welcome, the spa, the massage, the room, and the oh so comfortable beds. My daughter will remember her 21st birthday weekend for the rest of her life - and for all the right reasons.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Penny L
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for such marvellous a feedback. All the team and I have read it with great enthusiasm!

It was a delight to have pleasantly surprised your daughter for her 21st birthday.

We look forward to your next stay with the family.