“Elegant hotel in nice location”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #25 of 1,063 Hotels in London
NE US
“Elegant hotel in nice location”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We spent 3 nights in a small suite. The room was large and the bathroom was too. Everything about the place was classy. It was super clean and felt rich. The shower was great with plenty of hot water and water pressure. The bath towels lived on a heated towel rack. The bed was super comfy. The double-glazed windows keep the street sounds out: we were even able to take a nap as a protest march went by the hotel 5 stories below us! The staff was friendly. No extra charge for the Internet. It was about a 5 minute walk to the Piccadilly tube station and another minute to a Starbucks. The experience was great, but it came at a significant price. Regardless, given that hotels in London are expensive we will most likely return here for our anniversary next year.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
I can tell that you have very much enjoyed the layout of your room and I am glad to hear it.

The rain showers always enchant our guests. MyBed is also one of our leading products. This unique bed concept created by Sofitel Luxury Hotels is also available online. Go to sleep like onto fluffy clouds also at home and not only in Sofitel premises.

I thank you for pointing out our high standards of service as we put a lot into genuinely looking after them.

A bientôt,

Denis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed October 28, 2012

As others have said, this is a very stylish (though welcoming) hotel in the centre of London's attractions. The room was comfortable (though very small - and we booked a superior), the bed very pleasant, and the bathroom well appointed (with a nice rain shower).

But it's the service that makes the hotel stand out. Lovely welcome at reception (with a soft drink on arrival) and helpful staff throughout. We were at the hotel for our 15th wedding anniversary, and - when we retired to our room - the hotel had left a complimentary dessert for us, on a 'happy anniversary' plate. A lovely touch that epitomised the levels of service and attention to detail.

It's not a cheap hotel by any meas: you pay for what you get. But for an anniversary treat, it was just the right choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vauban
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Your 15th wedding anniversary could not go unnoticed, this is the reason why we were eager to mark the occasion. Glad to hear that both of you have enjoyed our surprise!

We cannot help pampering our guests. What can we do ... ? Keep on doing it :-)

A très bientôt,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We came for 4 days at this hotel and it was just an amazing experience. It wa our anniversary so they made us a special dessert one night and then they put flowers on our bed the next. They really took care of us. The room is a little small and our view is quite crap since it is facing another building but the location is great. 5 mins walk to the tube station and then there is shopping everywhere since you are at Piccadilly. Overall good experience.

• Stayed October 2012
I am really pleased to hear that you have had such an "amazing experience" at Sofitel London St James and I thank you for pointing this out in your feedback.

We pay an extreme attention to details regarding our way of looking after all of our guests. We obviously could not miss your anniversary! It was a joy for us to make you happy.

We look forward to your next visit in our central yet quiet hotel.

Au revoir,

London
Reviewed October 26, 2012

From the moment of check in you become immersed in a sophisticated sea of quality French style, service, ambience, relaxation, customer service etc etc.

We have stayed at Sofitel, London many times. It is truly a superb 5 star Hotel.

Everything about this hotel says quality & service. The rooms are beautifully appointed, the staff attentive, polite, caring & not overbearing. They also have a delicious restaurant too.

I could go on & on - just go stay - you won't be disappointed 5 STAR + !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
It was a pure delight to read your feedback and I thank you for that!

You made us proud of our high standards of service. Our passion for excellence is palpable and we are truly grateful towards you and your family to notice and point it out.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

A très bientôt.

Milano
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at the hotel with Family, I was in a business trip and had my family join me. The rooms are spacious and we were able to keep our girl with us at a reasonable price (for London...)
The hotel proved to be ideally located for both activities, close to Piccadilly and the shops in the area but also good for a stroll in the park or a visit to the National Gallery. One thing we learned is to make sure you plan your visits in advance and make proper bookings, we did have a problem with Buckingham Palace for example and missed the visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

It is always enjoyable for the team and I to hear about most satisfied guests regarding our high standards of service.

We look forward to your next visit to London.

Arrivederci and au revoir,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Knowing that London is a huge city and even though their public transportation system, the "underground" as the very visible signs read that catch your attention everywhere, location of your hotel will have a significant impact on your overall stay in this fabulous city! We just stayed 3 nights (Oct. 4-6, 2012) at the Sofitel St. James and felt like we hit the jackpot!
The hotel staff are kind, friendly and extremely helpful. It was pouring rain our first morning and I drew the short straw, I guess, and was assigned the task to make an umbrella run for everyone. I asked the front desk where the closest place was where I could purchase a few cheap umbrellas and they offered, "please use our umbrellas, sir" and they motioned to a very nice rack holding about 50 very nice umbrellas for hotel guests.
The hotel is elegantly styled and the rooms are pristine clean with amazingly comfortable beds and pillows and the bathroom was very cool!
As for location, you could not ask for a better location if you like shopping and the theater. The street the hotel is on, Waterloo Place, turns into Regency Street, shopping central of London that lead directly to Picadilly Square, but you are enough blocks away (4 blocks) from Picadilly so you can pleasantly avoid the crowds, chaos and sometimes seediness of Picadilly Square. The hotel is also just two blocks from Jermyn, which, if you are a shopper and in London and you have NOT walked down Jermyn Street (off Regency and parallel to Oxford) you MUST check it out!
I definitely know where I am staying the next time I am in London and it will take a lot for someone to convince me to try another hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kevinsf
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
What a wonderful news! I am extremely pleased to hear that from now on Sofitel London St James is your hotel in London.

Our utmost reward is to make our guests happy and exceed their expectations. I am really delighted to read that we have achieved our aim.

The team and I look forward to your next visit.

A très bientôt.

Balzan, Malta
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I know that I am going against the majority opinion in this case however my personal experience of this hotel was quite disappointing. Dont get me wrong my stay was far from uncomfortable however I expected better, especially for the money paid. Lets start with the positive, the location of this hotel is perfect and you are within walking distance of some of the best sights in London. The rooms are very comfortable and cleaned twice a day. The choice at brekafast is ample and the quality is good. However there are certain things that one would not expect. On the day of my arrival I got to the hotel quite early and couldnt get my room. I fully understand this. I managed to work for an hour in the lobby - also thanks to the free wi-fi provided. I was given the key to my room an hour later (which was still earlier when compared to my check in times) and went upstairs. Unfortunately i couldnt open the door to my room so I had to go down again and ask them to re-program my key. I went back up and it still didnt work. I was quite frustrated by this time so i went back down and spoke to the same receptionist who when i told her the problem she said that I must be doing something wrong. She told me to go upstairs and put the key in slowly. It was as if she was speaking to an idiot and this Condescending really was the last straw - toegther with the fact that I still didnt manage to get into my room. I caught the lift for the third time and went back to reception and I spoke to another person at the reception. He sent somebody up with me who tried to open the door but didnt manage. He then had to use the Master Key and he managed to open the door. However this misadventure wasnt over yet. This person told me that somebody will be up to fix the door. Hence I decided to go out for lunch and I returned back a few hours later and lo and behold, my door wasnt working. To cut a long story short it took them a total of three hours to fix the door and i found this utterly unnaceptable.
Another problem was the cleaning staff who insisted on entering into the room even though I had the do no disturb light on on both the oocassions when they entered.
I was at least lucky enough to organise a late check out with one of the receptionists and i was very thnakful for this.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Trevordg
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I thank you for telling us about your overall enjoyable experience at Sofitel London St James and for pointing out your satisfaction regarding the room layout and its cleanliness as well as the wide offer of our breakfast.

I am truly sorry to hear about this unfortunate issue with your door lock. I have passed your constructive feedback on to avoid any future occurence.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Au revoir,