“Sofitel, London - What a pleasure to stay!”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #25 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 26, 2012

From the moment of check in you become immersed in a sophisticated sea of quality French style, service, ambience, relaxation, customer service etc etc.

We have stayed at Sofitel, London many times. It is truly a superb 5 star Hotel.

Everything about this hotel says quality & service. The rooms are beautifully appointed, the staff attentive, polite, caring & not overbearing. They also have a delicious restaurant too.

I could go on & on - just go stay - you won't be disappointed 5 STAR + !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

It was a pure delight to read your feedback and I thank you for that!

You made us proud of our high standards of service. Our passion for excellence is palpable and we are truly grateful towards you and your family to notice and point it out.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

A très bientôt.

Denis

Write a ReviewReviews (4,173)

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at the hotel with Family, I was in a business trip and had my family join me. The rooms are spacious and we were able to keep our girl with us at a reasonable price (for London...)
The hotel proved to be ideally located for both activities, close to Piccadilly and the shops in the area but also good for a stroll in the park or a visit to the National Gallery. One thing we learned is to make sure you plan your visits in advance and make proper bookings, we did have a problem with Buckingham Palace for example and missed the visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

It is always enjoyable for the team and I to hear about most satisfied guests regarding our high standards of service.

We look forward to your next visit to London.

Arrivederci and au revoir,

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Knowing that London is a huge city and even though their public transportation system, the "underground" as the very visible signs read that catch your attention everywhere, location of your hotel will have a significant impact on your overall stay in this fabulous city! We just stayed 3 nights (Oct. 4-6, 2012) at the Sofitel St. James and felt like we hit the jackpot!
The hotel staff are kind, friendly and extremely helpful. It was pouring rain our first morning and I drew the short straw, I guess, and was assigned the task to make an umbrella run for everyone. I asked the front desk where the closest place was where I could purchase a few cheap umbrellas and they offered, "please use our umbrellas, sir" and they motioned to a very nice rack holding about 50 very nice umbrellas for hotel guests.
The hotel is elegantly styled and the rooms are pristine clean with amazingly comfortable beds and pillows and the bathroom was very cool!
As for location, you could not ask for a better location if you like shopping and the theater. The street the hotel is on, Waterloo Place, turns into Regency Street, shopping central of London that lead directly to Picadilly Square, but you are enough blocks away (4 blocks) from Picadilly so you can pleasantly avoid the crowds, chaos and sometimes seediness of Picadilly Square. The hotel is also just two blocks from Jermyn, which, if you are a shopper and in London and you have NOT walked down Jermyn Street (off Regency and parallel to Oxford) you MUST check it out!
I definitely know where I am staying the next time I am in London and it will take a lot for someone to convince me to try another hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kevinsf
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

What a wonderful news! I am extremely pleased to hear that from now on Sofitel London St James is your hotel in London.

Our utmost reward is to make our guests happy and exceed their expectations. I am really delighted to read that we have achieved our aim.

The team and I look forward to your next visit.

A très bientôt.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I know that I am going against the majority opinion in this case however my personal experience of this hotel was quite disappointing. Dont get me wrong my stay was far from uncomfortable however I expected better, especially for the money paid. Lets start with the positive, the location of this hotel is perfect and you are within walking distance of some of the best sights in London. The rooms are very comfortable and cleaned twice a day. The choice at brekafast is ample and the quality is good. However there are certain things that one would not expect. On the day of my arrival I got to the hotel quite early and couldnt get my room. I fully understand this. I managed to work for an hour in the lobby - also thanks to the free wi-fi provided. I was given the key to my room an hour later (which was still earlier when compared to my check in times) and went upstairs. Unfortunately i couldnt open the door to my room so I had to go down again and ask them to re-program my key. I went back up and it still didnt work. I was quite frustrated by this time so i went back down and spoke to the same receptionist who when i told her the problem she said that I must be doing something wrong. She told me to go upstairs and put the key in slowly. It was as if she was speaking to an idiot and this Condescending really was the last straw - toegther with the fact that I still didnt manage to get into my room. I caught the lift for the third time and went back to reception and I spoke to another person at the reception. He sent somebody up with me who tried to open the door but didnt manage. He then had to use the Master Key and he managed to open the door. However this misadventure wasnt over yet. This person told me that somebody will be up to fix the door. Hence I decided to go out for lunch and I returned back a few hours later and lo and behold, my door wasnt working. To cut a long story short it took them a total of three hours to fix the door and i found this utterly unnaceptable.
Another problem was the cleaning staff who insisted on entering into the room even though I had the do no disturb light on on both the oocassions when they entered.
I was at least lucky enough to organise a late check out with one of the receptionists and i was very thnakful for this.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Trevordg
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

I thank you for telling us about your overall enjoyable experience at Sofitel London St James and for pointing out your satisfaction regarding the room layout and its cleanliness as well as the wide offer of our breakfast.

I am truly sorry to hear about this unfortunate issue with your door lock. I have passed your constructive feedback on to avoid any future occurence.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Au revoir,

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The warm welcome every time we stay here despite it being a busy business hotel in one of the busiest cities in the world is a testament to the impeccable management of all the senior staff here.
Balcon is a fantastic meeting spot, for business or pleasure, lunch or dinner and is usually under the watchful eye of the charming and efficient manager. She is warm yet professional and has a fantastic memory- remembering our favourite champagne and children's drink preferences whenever we visit. Highly recommend the charcuterie platters.
The rooms are spacious and quirky for a central London hotel, both the standard rooms and the suites offer good value for money. The spa is good, if somewhat overpriced for some of the services on offer- but incredibly cosy at the nail bar and I can imagine having a lovely girly day with friends at the mani-pedi bar.
All in all one our our favourite London spots.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank indytravelgirl

I thank you for your kind words regarding our high standards of service and in particular towards The Balcon manager, Rakel. She was extremely pleased to hear about your compliments.

I am glad to read that you have very much enjoyed the decor of the restaurant The Balcon. We have refurbished the place not so long ago and it is important for us to get our guests feedback.

A très bientôt as we are one of your favorite hotels in London .

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here with my Wife for a few days of relaxation and site seeing right after the Olympics ended and right before the Paralympics started. I have read other reviews that during the Olympics it was very busy and service was lacking. We didn't find this was the case but at the same time the hotel seemed pretty empty during our stay.

I think this was a good value for London given the size of the room, location and service level. We weren't here for business so didn't look at our stay from that perspective or give the internet offered (for a fee) a try.

Plenty of tube stations within a few minute walk. Also a few large parks which looked nice but were closed off as venues during our stay.
I did take advantage of location to get a nice run in and used the gym which was just ok. I could see it getting very crowded during a busy period. If I remember there were plenty of free-weights but only 2 aerobic machines.
We had room service one night and some drinks and some lite fare at the bar off the lobby another evening. Food was excellent at both. As was the drinks at the bar...although quite expensive
To me, the rooms were huge by London standards..at least in comparison to the places I get put up in for business while I am there. Service level was great on all fronts.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your positive feedback as we proud ourselves in genuinely looking after our guests.

The Executive Chef, Vincent Ménager, and I were very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the food with room-service and at the St James Bar. May I suggest you to try our restaurant The Balcon on your next visit. I am sure you will love it.

A bientôt,

Reviewed October 18, 2012

GREAT GREAT GREAT HOTEL!! Location was perfect what with Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square on the door step. The room size was generous considering we were in central London, tastefully decorated and very comfortable – we had a great night’s sleep. Staff was very polite, attentive, helpful and accommodating, we couldn’t have asked for more. It was one of the best hotels we have stayed in, we will most defiantly be back again :o)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I was blushing while reading your feedback. I am truly thankful for such compliments.

I have shared right away your kind words with my whole team. We were delighted to hear your satisfaction encompassing all the departments of Sofitel London St James. We love to indulge all of our guests as you have noticed it.

A très bientôt,