“Better than expected based on other reviews here.”

Airways Hotel Victoria London
Ranked #41 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel is located in a nice area just a short walk from the main London Victoria railway and underground/tube/metro station. Victoria Coach station is also just a few minutes’ walk away from the hotel. Therefore the location is ideal for visitors to London who wish to see the tourist sites, visit the theatre or go shopping.

The room rate is considerably lower than most hotels in central London and it seems that you get what you pay for from some of the reviews here. That said I have actually stayed in a number of hotels around Europe that charge considerably more for a great deal less.

Arriving at the hotel to check in it was pretty straight forward with polite and efficient staff. We were checked into our room within ten minutes. We had booked a twin bedded room suitable for a person with mobility issues. The allocated room was situated on the ground floor, room G-04. It wasn’t enormous but it was more than adequate, clean, tidy and functional with an easy access bathroom/shower that was compact but served the necessary purpose well.

The room included a LCD TV with a range of digital channels, mostly British although there are a few non English or British channels too. We used the television briefly before bed, 30 minutes later the remote control failed to react to commands. This wasn’t a huge inconvenience as by now it was time to go to bed, we switched the TV off at the power socket, assuming the batteries had gone. I mentioned this when leaving the following morning and reception informed me that if I had taken the remote to the receptionist they would have reset it for use in our room. It seems strange that a remote control needs to be reset just a few hours after checking into your room, a sign indicating this in the room might have been useful, or mention of it during check in might be wise.

Breakfast is served in a basement dining room, which was clean but far too small for the number of guests staying and taking breakfast the following morning. Breakfast was nothing too exciting, a bland European style Continental Breakfast consisting of a few slices of cold toast, croissants, thinly sliced portions of cheese and ham together with some tinned fruit salad. A selection of cereals is also on offer. The coffee was acceptable though. British, American, Australian and Canadian visitors who enjoy a substantial full English breakfast can find this offered at a number of restaurants and café’s within the area at various prices.

We would stay again, providing we were able to secure a good room, such as the one we were allocated for our overnight stay. Photographs of other rooms and areas look dreadful, thankfully we only experienced a much nicer, cleaner and well maintained are of the hotel during our stay.
There is a European power socket in the room for visitors from outside of the UK and the free broadband is available throughout the hotel and offers good wi fi connectivity, something that is often poor at other hotels throughout the world, even when you pay for it!

The instant coffee provided in the room was absolutely dreadful. I’m not entirely sure what was in the coffee sachet, but much would probably taste better. So take your own instant coffee when staying here (I’m told that the tea in the room was actually fine).

Room Tip: Take your own coffee for use in the room the coffee provided is rubbish! If you want a proper Englis...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank jmbrighton
General M, General Manager at Airways Hotel Victoria London, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the comprehensive review of your stay at the Airways Hotel.
I am very happy to read that you generally enjoyed your stay. We do aim to provide comfortable accommodation with good service and am proud to read that we succeeded in this case.
I look forward to welcoming you again in the future, should you choose to stay with us again.

Sanchit Patel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed October 31, 2013

16 of us visited for 2 days fri to sun, we were a ittle worried after reading reviews and seeing really old pics on the airways and it was much better than expected, the photos now show a true picture..beds were comfy, clean sheets towels etc,hairdryer, nice continental breakfast, friendly/helpful staff, ten minute walk from victoria station.

Some negatives, the rooms were a little small, we had a quad room but best for 3 of us rather than 4, there was no where to put cases when unpacked and the breakfast room was really small and limited space and very warm. we had a room on the 2nd floor and had to go up 4 flights of stairs so would recommend lower floor if you can.

Great base and local to most places, would def stay there again

Room Tip: request a lower floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vicky T

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your review. I am very happy to read we surpassed your expectations. We do have an issue with space but as we try to provide as many amenities as possible for a comfortable stay we do compromise the space a little.
Thank you again and my staff and I look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were very worried about staying here after looking at the reviews. But we were VERY pleased with the service and the standard of the hotel. Check in was fast and efficient and the rooms were large, clean and modern. We had 4 quad rooms for 16 of us and they were all of the same great standard. Staff were all friendly and happy to help with everything we wanted, taxi numbers, maps, and other staff too.

I would definitely stay here again as would all of my guests.

The only let down was the breakfast, this was continental and small, but there was toast, cereal, croissants and juices all one needs after a heavy night and for an early start.

We had one small problem when we arrived of the shower not working, but immediately the maintenance arrived and fixed the problem, and while they did this they gave us another room to shower in.

They could not have been more helpful!!!

Please don't take all the negative reviews they have on here as negatively as they are written, it was honestly clean, modern and well located near Victoria station (about 5-10 minute walk).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank lyndsayhelen

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review.
My staff and I aim to provide clean and comfortable accommodation and service with a smile. I am very happy and proud to read that we surpassed your expectations.
We most definitely look forward to welcoming you again should you choose to stay here.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I didn’t expect high standard for a room cost USD140/night in this prime location but did expect a reasonable basic level of cleanliness and service. But the fact is, they charged way too expensive for the value it offers !

The man at the reception desk was rude. The room is smelly, and the cleanliness of the room was awful, dust and stains all over the curtains and carpet ! The room was dark, it only equipped with a very small window, size about 14” x 16” ! The breakfast is included but bet you will not want to eat there, the breakfast room is small and the food was poor !
If you really want to stay in this hotel, do stay away from LG and top floor, rooms at these floors are dangerous if the building is on fire.

Don’t be deceived by their web-site photos, nothing near to the photographs which they have uploaded. Many other choices can be found in this location so DO stay away from this AWFUL AWFUL so called hotel !

Room Tip: stay away the LG, G/F and the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mobanban

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to read of your terrible experience at the Airways Hotel.
My cleaning staff are well trained to carry out cleaning and the accommodation should not be in the condition you have described. I will be looking into the staff responsible.
I am also very concerned with your comments regarding the rude staff. I hardly receive complaints about my staff however I will look into this matter as well.
With regards to the safety of the building, I regret your comments about it not being safe during a fire. We follow strict fire safety guidance, including fire escapes and fire alarms, and would be closed down if we did not.
We only put up photos of our property and do not aim not mislead people in any way. We have nothing to gain by putting up misrepresentative photos.
I hope I have clarified many of your points.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Before making reservation in this hotel I looked many budget hotels and I was quite horrified. I thought that I could not ever find a nice, well located and good priced hotel but I did. I was surprised how near Airways Hotel was to Victoria station and that it was a nice neighborhood. The room was quite small but it was clean. I have asked for a cot but but it didn't have mattress so I had to put pillows in order to make it more comfortable. This hotel is a good option if you want to visit London and are not going to spend lot of time at the hotel room.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Lorena L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.
I am happy to read that you had a pleasant stay at the Airways Hotel and look forward to welcoming you should you wish to stay with us again.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 6 days, small clean rooms, friendly staff and very conveniently located in Westminster district close to restaurants and Victoria bus/train stations.

With the number of rooms, the breakfast area very small and crowded. The included breakfast, very basic.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Retired_Traveler_7

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.
I am happy to read you were pleased with the accommodation. We are currently working on a solution to the small dining room but as we are dealing with a listed building it is taking longer than expected.
Thank you once again for the review.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

chose a 4 bed room for my family.
hasn't got much choice just 1 month before the trip.
the room is small with a bit strange smell.
brought up 4 heavy suit cases up the the second floor, but feel kind of lucky for a open view outside the window (compare with the lower floors.)
the staff at the desk was quite nice actually.
and the location is just 5 minute walk from the Victoria rail/tube/coach station.
the cleanliness was just fine but don't forget the strange smell anyway.

overall it's a OKay hotel but just don't expect too much about it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank WunaiChen

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am sorry to read we provided an adequate service but not one that surpassed your expectations. I am also concerned about this 'smell'. If you could get in touch about what room you were staying in I can look into it further as I have not received a complaint about this before. My email address is GM@airways-hotel.co.uk.
I look forward to hearing from you.