“Lovely decor but staff let the place down”

Bea’s Of Bloomsbury
Ranked #7,627 of 24,124 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Afraid I have to agree with the other reviews here. Had afternoon tea here at £19 which includes cupcakes, sandwiches, meringues and mini brownies. The place also has a nice selection of teas. The decor is really nice with comfy couches and teapots hanging from the ceiling. Unfortunately though the staff really let the place down. There was a nice girl working behind the counter but the staff serving tea were really unhelpful and acted like they didn't want to be there and stood around talking to one another instead of assisting customers. On a number of occasions I had to stand up and speak to the staff as I was being ignored. The only time they came over was to tell me that I only had my table for 90 minutes and I would have to leave soon. Such a shame as this place could be really nice if the staff made more effort.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely little place tucked away in the city. The food is lovely and tasty and you will need to take away left overs should you book the afternoon tea. I had the gluten free option which was a platter of meats and cheese , then a huge meringue with a passion fruit dressing and other gluten free treats. Our waitress was lovely however she was rushed off her feet and at times appeared flustered. Also when I asked if they sold duffins I was told they never had! As I was leaving they put some out. One of the waitresses walked around with a permanent face ache and seemed annoyed by any questions we had like " can we pay please". The waiter also seemed to be more interested in his break ! I would visit again but perhaps only to take away

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

A stone's throw away from St. Paul's is this coffee shop. The decor and surroundings are a blend of contemporary touches with corporate backdrop.

I would recommend for a catch-up and coffee/cake; however, would not necessarily visit for Afternoon Tea.

The coffee was fine with the tasty and rich cakes making the offer more appealing.

Unfortunately, the service is what let's this place down. At times it appears rushed and rather rude especially on a Saturday afternoon. Don't know if this was due to lack of staff as it slightly improved towards the end; however, it certainly made you think twice!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This small shop offered a different take on afternoon tea . We had delicious sandwiches in homemade bread with fillings such as salami sun dried tomato , hummous mozzerella and ham . The cake stand was crammed with delicacies such as passion fruit marshmallow red velvet cup cakes brownies blondes meringues macaroons and all sorts of delicious treats . There was a big choice of tea and the service was friendly . They packed what we could not finish in a box . It was amazing watching the pastry chefs turn out these marvels in the small kitchen at the back of the shop . It was a pleasent experience apart from when the young waiter asked if we had paid on our way out the door which we had as you have to go to the counter to pay . That was a bit embarrassing . He needs to keep a closer eye on his tables !

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We went here for afternoon tea last Friday. It’s not the best I've ever had, but wasn't terrible. I was expecting a lot better, since it's a bakery and their cakes generally are delicious. When we arrived we were shown to our table. The venue its self is a lovely little place. We were pretty disappointed when the waiter bought over out cake stand. The selection was bad. A couple of sandwiches, which were tasty, but not enough. some tine tiny brownies. Which weren't very nice at all, tasted stale. We each got one scone which was very nice, by far the best of the selection. We also got a cupcake each which wasn't very nice either. One was chocolate with a rasberry buttercream the other coffee, which tasted even worse.

All in all we had a nice time because of the company and venue. We were not impressed by the selection at all. I know it's not an expensive afternoon tea, but it still wasn't worth £19 in my opinion.