“Average, bland food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
“Average, bland food”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Came here for tea with a couple of acquaintances at the One New Change branch.
The mini baguettes were quite bland in flavour, the salad was an absolute waste of time, no flavour, no real seasoning, can't quite make out what its supposed to be. Cakes were a bit weird, cupcakes were delicious but wouldn't be able to eat more than one due to the icing on the top.
Staff weren't all there, seems like they were all with the fairies; wasn't really listening to us when we made requests. Food took too long to be served. Almost like sitting on top of each other as the place upstairs is really small.
Strange decor but place was clean.
Wouldn't visit again.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank JenT87

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Good, but could be better”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to Bea's today and booked for an afternoon tea. The food was tasty but when we spend 19 pounds each for an afternoon tea we like to leave feeling indulged and that wasn't the case.

The afternoon tea only includes one pot of tea, which is certainly not the norm at this price-point. The waitress offered to add extra water to the teapot, which we accepted, but when it's black tea this doesn't result in a nice cup.

There is also no choice given for sandwiches (baguettes) or cupcakes, although when we requested a different cupcake the staff were happy to oblige.

Overall it was a nice experience but I am always conscious of value and feel that if it had been possible to purchase everything we received separately, it would have been cheaper. You may as well go there and order off the menu - you will save money and have control over what you eat!

If you are looking for a top London afternoon tea experience, I would recommend going elsewhere, but if you're after some tea and cake, you will do well.

To management, if you are interested in meeting customer needs: for the afternoon tea, I would recommend giving a little more choice and offering two pots of tea.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank DaniellaBea
Guildford
“Excellent Cake (and Coffee) in the Shadow of St Paul's”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Bea's has established a reputation for excellent cakes at the original branch on Theobald's Road in Bloomsbury. As a fan, I was also keen to visit the St Paul's branch, which has a much more contemporary feel. At Bea's of Bloomsbury, you sit cheek-by-jowl with the cakes, at Bea's of St Paul's you are much more distant, especially if you sit upstairs in the mezzanine area (which I'd recommend).

The good news is that the cakes are just as good (I had the chocolate and peanut butter cheesecake and it very nearly finished me off). If you are in the vicinity of St Paul's and looking for somewhere to take the weight off your feet while you eat some lovely cake, then look no further.

• Visited November 2012
Yorkshire, UK
“Enjoyable experience but better last time”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Went with 2 friends for afternoon tea at 5pm on a Sunday; it was booked on my recommendation after taking my mum to the original Bea's cafe in Bloosmbury last year. We arrived about 20 mins early and they were able to seat us straight away.

The business has expanded quite significantly since my last visit and sadly it wasn't quite as good as my previous visit.

At my previous visit, we were able to choose our sandwich fillings but this was not offered at the St Paul's branch; nobody asked if we had any special dietary requirements. The sandwiches were nice but limited for someone who doesn't eat pork as 2 out of the 3 flavours were pork based.

The price of the afternoon tea has also increased by £5 in just over 15 months; quite a hike considering what you get on your plate. On my previous visit I was offered a cafetiere of coffee, which was enough for a good 2-3 cups; this time, it was only a cup and I was charged for a second cup. A positive was that a jug of tap water was already provided and we didn't need to ask.

The cakes and confectionery; a nice selection of marshmallow, three different types of brownie, a meringue, a cupcake plus the scone with jam and clotted cream. The Red Velvet cupcake was lovely and moist (though I thought the topping was a little dry). The brownies were good but I do think it is overkill to have 3 types of the same thing on your plate.

Service was a little slow to start with and then at the end of our tea, they seemed to want to hurry us out of the door, even though they didn't close for another 30 minutes.

Overall, it was a nice experience second time round but I don't think it is special enough for a really special occasion; the original cafe in Bloomsbury is far more friendly and offers better service.

• Visited November 2012
“Great Place!”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Had afternoon tea at St. Paul's on Saturday and it was really good. Delicious baguettes, you get lots of cakes (scones fresh out of oven, home-made marshmallows, meringues, three types of brownies, cupcakes), and a great selection of teas. It was a bit hot inside but the staff and the interior are very nice.

• Visited August 2012