“Decent Sushi with friendly staff”
Review of Sasa Sushi

Sasa Sushi
Ranked #2,688 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Sushi, Salvadoran
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I eat here probably once to twice a week. The sushi is always fresh and the staff are very helpful. I would highly recommend their Alaska cut-roll or the Angel Deluxe sushi set. They also do take away and delivery.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My favourite place for sushi in Islington / Angel area. Spicy Tuna Roll and prawn tempura a must! Been several times and never been disappointed. Defiantly worth a visit : )

Reviewed February 8, 2013

This understated place just south of Angel tube turns out some of the freshest, most delicious sushi you will find in London. I recommend the soft shell crab! Still warm when served.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Three words - crunchy tuna roll. Just amazing! Next time i'm in Angel i'll definitely give this place another visit. From the outside you probably wouldn't look twice, but the food is really good, and reasonably priced. It's pretty plain inside, like a mini wagamamas; staff were friendly (contrary to what the last review said - note, they still said the food was good despite giving only 1 star?!). But the fact is, if you're out with a friend or on a casual 'get to know each other' date, then this place is ideal - relaxed, simple, great food. Job done.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

So my friend and I went to Sa Sa Sushi last night for a meal and we were fairly famished by the time we got there. Between waiting to be seated, making our order and finally having the food arrive it had already been 45mins (food itself took something like 30mins to arrive!)

In all fairness the food was great and staff were friendly. However, all hell broke loose when we tried to pay.

My friend has a thing about paying tips in cash (she always, ALWAYS tips - the full 10-12.5%, but in cash only due to her own awful experiences as a waitress where she never saw tips given by card) and I said I wasn't sure I wanted to tip the full 10% since the wait for food was so long although in fact, I was going to leave 9% just to make the tip a whole number.

Conversation:

Friend: “Oh, I’ll pay the meal on card and leave you your tip in cash”

Waitress: *looking disgruntled*

Me: “Oh yeah, I’ll do the same please.”

Waitress: *looking more disgruntled* “yes…you should just put the tip on card, we do get it if it’s on card”

Me: “No, we’ll leave it in cash, we will tip you, I’m just not sure how much I want to leave yet. It says it’s a discretionary tip right?”

Waitress: *NOT HAPPY* “You’re not going to tip? I’m going to have to talk to my manager” *goes over to manager*

Friend and I: O_____o

Waitress: “The manager says you can leave what you want, but I want to know why you’re not tipping? I’ve been working here for 5 years, since I was 15 and no one has ever refused to tip before”

Me: “We are tipping, but there was a 45 minute wait for our food, so I might not leave the full 10%… It’s really not you, you’ve been fine, we just want to pay the tip in cash, plus there was the wait…”

Waitress: *extremely defensive* “Ok, I just want to know why you’re not tipping though, really, the tip includes everything, service, food, wait, everything, so I want to know what’s wrong, it’s up to you, but I just wanted to know why you aren’t paying the tip”

Friend: “We are tipping, really, I just have a thing about not putting tips on card. Seriously, you’ve been lovely, there’s no problem with you at all”

Waitress: “Ok. Fine.”

*silence as we pay*

Waitress: “Are you students then?”

Me: “…No”

Waitress: “…*rolls eyes* ah, okay.”

End of conversation

This is already underplaying how rude the waitress actually was. Seriously... Never in my life have I heard of guilt-tripping bordering aggression towards customers, simply at the hint of them not leaving a full tip by card. Last time I checked, leaving a tip was the customer's choice when it specifically stated "discretionary 10% service charge"

My friend and I have both been waitresses in our student days (I am a graduate, now professional, my friend is a budding assistant editor, currently doing her masters, who has interned for i-D and is going to intern at Vogue come Spring 2013) and never have we ever so much as complained when customers didn't leave tips. Her experiences as a waitress have been particularly unpleasant - she'd been harassed, yelled at and treated like dirt and not once has she said anything even when the customers didn't leave so much as a penny.

My friend especially also found the student comment incredibly insulting – we’ve asked that we be able to leave a tip in cash, so somehow that makes us students? The insinuation was very much that we must be poor students being stingy. We ended up leaving 2/3 of the 10% tip, but we wish that we’d left nothing.

I felt so uncomfortable and upset by this it made me rather regret going there in the first place. A wonderful evening ruined by some tweenager who felt herself superior most likely under the assumption that we, who look misleadingly young, must therefore be a couple of poor, stingy kids. Offensive, insulting staff are certainly enough reason for us to never return. It really is a shame because everything up until then had been alright. Sadly the service, although not bad to begin with, can only merit a 0/10 after that.

So would we recommend this place? No. – but if you do decide to try it out anyway, just try to suggest you aren’t paying full tip. Go on – we dare you.

2  Thank Crystina Z