“Very ordinary”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Can't really say anything too bad about this place. The food was ok, the service was ok and that is all.
Thankfully we had a discount voucher otherwise we would be very disappointed. Difficult to park in surrounding streets as it is in middle of Golders Green but it is close to the underground station.

2  Thank Jennifercbl65

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Myself and my Husband went to this restaurant Sunday evening with a wowcher voucher. We were a little apprehensive initially as we had red previous reviews saying how unfriendly the staff were. Initially the staff did seen a little frosty but seemed to cheer up as the evening went on however we did feel very rushed my husband hadn't even finished the first course before the second was plonked in front of him it was very obvious that they wanted to turn the tables round as quickly as possible. The food however was excellent and could not be faulted in any way. we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and would definitely go again with a similar deal.

2  Thank Jacqui14
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Tonight I had a meal here for My Sister's birthday. I had a WOWCHER DEAL, 50% off. Meal total was £21 instead of £43.. The Management was very rude and ignorant from the start. He denied ever bein involved with The WOWCHER DEAL, AND TOLD ME AND MY PARTY that we could not retrieve our Voucher. Then he came back to our Table and argued that the Voucher we had, had already been spent!!! It was a very imbarrasing moment... They finally accepted our VOUCHER and we were served drinks after about 20 minutes. The service was slow and not very attentive. The Lobster Dinner its self was reasonable. .. the fish cooked nicely but the noodles hard and the sauce very over powering. All in all not a bad price. But as we are received the Bill, there was an added £3 service charge. Which I questioned and then received a refund after a shallow argument with the Management. Would not recommend due to the un comforting atmosphere.

3  Thank Tasnim_Alam_md
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Being that it was Chinese New Year today, my housemate and I decided to go out for lunch together to celebrate the occasion. We decided to avoid Chinatown as it would have been hectic so decided somewhere a bit different (we live in NW London) and found Dim Sum House. We had booked it the day before and had asked for a table. Upon arrival at the restaurant, the decor was cute and small, it was rather packed but there were some seats. We were asked to sit at the bar, which I assumed meant to wait for our table. This wasn't the case. After being confused for 10 minutes, we were told the bar WAS our table and the tables were for bigger parties.

We bickered a bit with the manager who made it pretty clear that he wasn't at all fussed and would be happy for us to leave. But as it was Chinese New Year and we had travelled all this way, we decided to stay. Occasionally, when there were empty tables for 2 people, we asked if we could have the table. One waitress said once it was tidied, we could seat there. The manager decided to seat 3 people who arrived 20 minutes after us there instead, having clearly heard the conversation about having the table.

By this point, our ordered food still hadn't arrived and we had been waiting for 45 minutes. Again, we asked if we could sit at another empty table we saw, and also where our food was. The manager said it was busy and it would be on the way. Multiple tables had left by this point and there was only half the restaurant so unless each chef had one arm, I'm not quite sure why it was taking so long. When our food had arrived, the waitresses were also confused on how to serve us our food at the bar as there was clearly no space! So eventually (having been in the restaurant for an hour and not having eaten), the manager points at a very squished two seats that we could squeeze into and we were able to eat the food.

It's a shame as the food was lovely, and the dumplings were different to what I had eaten before in London. Prior to us getting our bill, I'm not 100% of what happened but 4 people (including a child) were arguing with the manager at the door. The man shouts at the manager "This is the worst service ever!" which the manager continues to push them out the door saying to them "Get out, leave the restaurant!" I wasn't too surprised really, as sitting at the bar and observing the manager (too much free time waiting for our food), I presumed he was a bit of an a-hole. When we requested our bill, I wasn't that keen on paying the whole bill because of the service, so my housemate and I decided just not to pay the service charge of £3. The manager questioned us why and we told him (most of the above). He responded with "Come on, it's Chinese New Year." How rude! I couldn't help but speak back and tell him it's also Chinese New Year for us, (My housemate and I are chinese) and we had been put at the bar, the service was slow, etc so no! We paid our bill and left. Mostly with the satisfaction of telling off the manager. So if you ever want to eat, have a lot of waiting time and vent your anger, it's probably the best place to go.

2  Thank Vicky C
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The dim sum at this restaurant is delicious. Unfortunately the manager gives off an air boorish disrespect and unfriendliness. I went with two friends and even though we are clearly respectable people and there were lots of free tables, the manager seemed reluctant to seat us because we did not have a reservation. This was in spite of the fact that there were clearly lots of tables free the whole evening long. At the end of the meal he accused my friend of giving him a fake pound coin when we came to pay the bill, which is something I have never been accused of before. He never bothers to dress in a style appropriate to his position, and gives off an air of casual disdain towards his customers which altogether puts me off going back there.

It is a pity, because the food is delicious. Unfortunately the service, and particularly the attitude of the manager, is a vital component in the experience of eating out and he spoils it for everyone by having such a casual, disdainful and unappreciative attitude towards his customers.

5  Thank John_O_Brian