1,705 results
All reviews privilege room cromwell road earls court a small double room complimentary soft drinks the natural history museum albert hall piccadilly line reception staff bed was comfortable nespresso machine tube station short stay breakfast room hyde park stayed for one night few minutes walk
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Where to start.

Lets talk the good first, good location, 5-7 min walk from a descent tube station (meaning access to more than one line). 5-7 min walk from food and well located to some attractions.

Now for the bad, where to start:

1. We paid for an upgraded room, WARNING NORTH AMERICANS, a King bed to them is 2 twin beds pushed together. Allegedly they put on a topper to join the two beds together but we didn't have that in our room ad the admission of the Hotel Manager. Furthermore if you measure two twins pushed together, they are still shy of what a King bed is. Even after the hotel manager admitted we didn't get what we paid for (post visit), she would not refund anything to us and offered us points for the hotel, with cash value of 18% of the upgrade fee. Our two beds that were pushed together without the topper had 2 different heights and two very different comfort levels.

2. The manager Lisa expects that you should talk to her directly for any issues as she apparently couldn't be bothered to help you post stay. The woman is brash and rude in email and is quite condescending.

3. The manager would have you talk to her front desk staff. These young lot work long hours (as evidenced from the fact we saw the SAME person for 10 nights in a row working the front desk) and they are un-informed as to what the hotel policies are and how they affect the patrons. Generally they were reasonably considerate but in some cases we witnessed some staff with some significant attitude towards patrons.

4. The room itself was decent in size, the mini-fridge was nice as we could bring perishable snacks back to the room. Don't think this is a common thing, apparently the mini-fridge is an "upgrade" to the upgraded room.

5. Cleanliness isn't their strong suit. We stayed 10 days and had to ASK for the bed sheets to be changed. The bath/shower tub had separated from the wall and there was a gap between the lower part of the wall and the tub, there was a black substance along the entire ring of the tub. Now some would call that soap scum, others black mould, in either case the hotel manager Lisa would have you think it was normal and acceptable.

All in all, due to LISA, we will never stay at a Mercure or Accord property again.

3  Thank GeneK27
P6520PLK, General Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear GeneK21

Please let me address all the points that you have raised below:

1) You did get the upgraded room that you paid for. The kingsize room that we gave you is what is called a Zip & Link bed. This enables the hotel to be able to sell these room types as either a king size bedroom or a twin room. When I apologised, I did so over the fact that the bed was not made as a king when you arrived but as a twin. That is not admitting that you did not get what you paid for, as I can say with absolute certainty that you did.

2) You stayed with us at the hotel for 11 nights. I was available at the hotel each and every one of those days that you stayed with us. Not once did you ask to speak with me nor did I hear you say anything to the team about the concerns that you had. If I had been aware of them during your stay then I would have done everything that I could to alleviate them - again a point that I raised in my written correspondence with you.

3) Yes, I would like you to speak with the team if you have concerns. They will help and often go out of their way to ensure that guests are enjoying themselves. I get many emails and reviews on a weekly basis saying how accommodating and helpful they are. In fact, there are many in TripAdvisor also. Yes, the team are young but dedicated, they work the normal 8 hours a day and no they did not work 11 days straight during your time with us as I do not allow that to happen.

4) I am pleased you were able to utilise the mini fridge whilst you were with us. They are not the only upgrade to the kingsize room though. There is also the Nespresso machine, docking station and the soft drinks that are in the aforementioned mini bar.

5) I have apologised over the fact that you think you saw mould in your bathroom. Again something that you never mentioned during your time with us. I checked when you mentioned it in your original letter to me and I reassured you that it was not mould and apologised for the fact that you felt the cleanliness of the hotel was not up to par. My head housekeeper is especially disappointed as she has high standards and is upset that she may have missed something.

I am sorry to hear that you will not return to any Accor property in the near future. You will be missing out on some wonderful properties throughout the world and with the points that we credited to your membership account, you would be able to stay in some of these for free once you earned some more.

I have apologised several times and I have offered and given you compensation, which you did not want to accept, although I do believe it to be generous based on the findings of my investigations. You did threaten to write a review such as the above should I not offer you monetary compensation and I appreciate the feedback that you have provided me with, in both the review and your emails. We will certainly be using this as a training tool going forward in order to improve on the services that we provide.

Reviewed September 11, 2018

This building is a little older, but its London, rooms a little small but staff very obliging . Staff members very polite and the room very clean, breakfast was as expected and staff once again wonderful and helpful, one negative the LIFT. We have a great time.

Room Tip: Always upgrade to a larger room if you can afford to,
1  Thank Jan P
P6520PLK, General Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Jan

What a pleasure it was to read your review this morning.

It is fair to say that you enjoyed the time that you spent with us.

I appreciate the kind words that you have written about the team. The truly are the stars of this operation and they make me very proud on a daily basis.

I do hope that when you are next in the area we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another visit.

Take care

Lisa

Reviewed September 7, 2018

Be warned a standard double room are very,very small. We couldn't place our open suitcases on the floor as there wasn't enough room, either side of the bed or in front of the bed. We had to crawl over our suitcases to get to the bathroom. Totally not big enough for a double room, this room is more suitable for a single bed. For AUS $287 a night.. not worth the money, we stayed for 4 days ...very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
P6520PLK, General Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2018

Dear RW1959,

I appreciate you taking the time to post the above review following your recent departure from the hotel.

I have looked into the booking that you had with us, I can see that you actually booked a small double room and not a standard. These rooms are clearly described as ideal for one but cosy for two.

We have a variety of room types available in the hotel including King Size rooms. I can also see from the notes on your profile that our team offered you a room move to one of these rooms when your husband started to feel unwell. It's a shame that you didn't take them up on the offer as I am sure you would have been more comfortable.

As mentioned above, I appreciate the feedback that you have provided as it will most certainly be used as a training tool in order to improve on the services that we provide.

Reviewed September 7, 2018

The building is older and the rooms small as described in earlier reviews. It is however in an excellent location and the staff couldn’t be more helpful. Earl’s Court tube station is very close and convenient....there is a lift there if you have luggage. We had a privilege room with a comfortable king bed. The breakfast was very good with a reasonable selection. Sainsburys supermarket is a street away. There is an excellent pub a short walk away in Marloes Road.

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear Margaret T

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Mercure London Kensington Hotel.

I love this part of the city, especially in the Springtime, and it is always a pleasure for me to hear when other people to get to enjoy all that this area has to offer. Not only is it central to everywhere you would want to be but you can also stroll through some of the most beautiful streets in London.

Your comments regarding the team have really made my morning. They are some of the best people that I have ever had the pleasure of working with. They make me proud on a daily basis with the hard work that they put into the interactions that they have with all guests - all they want to do is make everyone as happy as they can.

I do hope that when you are next in London we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us here at Mercure London Kensington.

Reviewed August 31, 2018

We (family of four - three adults, one child) stayed one night at Mercure in Kensington in the final week of the school summer hols. We'd previously stayed at Mercure London Bridge and had found it good value, clean and friendly so were happy to go to another Mercure.
We were not disappointed. Friendly helpful staff (particularly Natalia on reception) who were happy for us to leave bags well before check-in time, and helped with various inquiries about the hotel. Got two twin rooms (4 people in total) for total of £162 - excellent value.
Rooms nice, spacious, very clean and tidy, good facilities inc free wi-fi and free soft drinks. Hotel is 5-10 min walk along Cromwell Rd from Gloucester Rd tube station.
We'd defo stay here and at other Mercure hotels again.

Room Tip: Even if you can only book room-only, worth asking when you get there if you can add breakfast - about £10 per head.
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank stevebonepfc
P6520PLK, General Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2018

Dear Stevebonpfc

What a lovely review to read on a Monday morning!

I think it is fair to say that you enjoyed your time with us. I will show Natalia your review, she will be so happy to see her hard work recognised.

I do hope that when you are next in the UK that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us.