“Basic but good value with very friendly staff”

Mercure London Kensington
Ranked #637 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hotel is 5-10 minutes walk from Earls Court station. We were in room 303 which was a compact twin but had everything we needed for a 1 night stay. If I was being picky I could say that it was a little worn & tired in places but it was perfectly clean which is the main thing. The thing that lifts the hotel above merely average is the staff who were universally extremely charming, friendly & helpful. Right from arriving they made us feel really welcome and the whole hotel had a warm and friendly feeling because of this. I would definitely stay here again if I needed to be in this part of London.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Surby_Girl
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Surby_Girl,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you found our accommodation and hospitality to your satisfaction. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback regarding your stay and the service you have experienced.

I will share your comments with our team, as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is 10 minutes walk from Gloucester Road or Earls Court tube stations. Lobby and reception small and nicely set out.

I booked a single room. The room had a small double bed filling most of the floor space, with a cupboard, large flat screen TV on top of a small writing table. The was an adequate sized fitted bathroom and toilet.

There was only leg room space to pass around the bed to an area where you could put my suit case, wthich stopped me then using the cupboard or desk.

The room were fitted out to get a 3 star rating however the design does not consider the hotel guests needs. If they put in a single bed, removing the double, my room rating would go up two points.

I would go to another hotel, of which there are many near by, if I am in that part of London again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear ZZHC,

Thank you for your tripadvisor contribution. I was disappointed to read of your concerns and would like to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
As you will find with many other Central London Hotels, the size of the rooms will always be on the smaller side. Our room size vary from small doubles to standard and executives, the latter two being very spacious.
I hope you will not judge us solely on this particular experience. Please contact me directly at h8064-gm@accor.com prior to your next stay so I can ensure you experience a more enjoyable stay.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed February 7, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScotsPorridge

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had 3 nights in the Mercure in December. Service was exellent and the rooms are great. We had booked king rooms so our rooms were a great size we were worried they may be very small after reading the reviews but they were perfect.
The best thing about this hotel is the location and helkpful staff.

Room Tip: Get the king rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank franknbettyPerth

Dear franknbettyPerth,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We truly value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Kensington on many future occasions.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maryd214

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed in The Mercure Kensington on a recent 5 night business trip. I stayed here a few times back in 2005-2006 and, whilst the name has changed, the hotel is still excellent, with very friendly and attentive staff throughout.

I was on a room only rate and had the continental breakfast just once, which was very nice. I ate twice in the bar area - food was well priced and very tasty.

Some previous reviewers have complained about the small size of the hotel rooms - my room (302) was fine - double bed, ample work area and well proportioned en suite with a near full size bath.

Would I return? Most definitely.

Room Tip: Ask for a "small double"
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear CiryMarr,

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here for business in January, as an Accor Le Club Platinum I always use Accor when I travel, and when affordable. Having availed of a reasonable rate on a 'small double room' I had set my expectations accordingly.

Check-In
Painfully slow. When I arrived the receptionist was not present, and nor was the bar (located in the lobby) staffed. After a few long minutes, the receptionist appeared from a room behind the bar and checked me in. The reservation could not be found initially, which mean't I had to power up my laptop to provide the confirmation number. Most frustrating. When this was rectified the process remained slow, and I admit to becoming quite exasperated after such a long wait.

Accommodation
You may have noticed I stated I booked a 'small double room'. My god, this room was small. Although well decorated and with good amenities there was no getting away from just how small the room was, yet unbelievably, despite this, it was impossible to watch TV from the bed. It faces in completely the opposite direction which I have yet to comprehend. That said, the bed was comfortable and sleep quality reasonably good. The room was a little cold overnight however.

Bathroom.
More than adequate in size and with a full sized bath. Shower not that powerful however. I must note the bathroom was spotlessly clean.

Breakfast
Excellent value. The option of a Continental or Full English is provided. The food was fresh, and was complimented by the breakfast hosting team who were very friendly, polite and efficient. A real credit.

Check-Out
Painfully slow again. It transpired that my credit card receipt had been stapled to the WRONG guest card, which could have proved troublesome and questions the attention to detail on checkin. Luckily the correct slips were found quickly but again, check out was unnecessarily slow. For example, we were told that it was not possible to change the address on the invoice (which was necessary as my travelling companion was Swiss), and it took several long moments before it was agreed this could be changed. Polite yes, efficient, no.

My advice is to give this place a try if rates are comparable to other hotels in the area - avoid the smaller rooms though.

Room Tip: Avoid single and small double rooms if you plan to spend any time in the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank markvip

Dear markvip,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure London Kensington, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.

Your comments regarding your experience on check-in and check-out come as a surprise since most of our guests praise us for the efficient service we offer. Please rest assured that the person in question has been spoken to and we will ensure this will not occur in the future as this is not the type of service we would like to be associated with.

I was pleased to read that there were aspects of your stay that have been up to your satisfaction. I will share your comments with our team as I am confident they will be delighted to hear that.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back Mercure London Kensington and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.