“A long weekend break from snowy Scotland”

Mercure London Kensington
Ranked #519 of 1,064 Hotels in London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had 3 nights in the Mercure in December. Service was exellent and the rooms are great. We had booked king rooms so our rooms were a great size we were worried they may be very small after reading the reviews but they were perfect.
The best thing about this hotel is the location and helkpful staff.

Room Tip: Get the king rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank franknbettyPerth
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear franknbettyPerth,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you found our accommodation and hospitality to your satisfaction. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback regarding your stay and the service you have experienced.

We truly value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Kensington on many future occasions.

Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed in The Mercure Kensington on a recent 5 night business trip. I stayed here a few times back in 2005-2006 and, whilst the name has changed, the hotel is still excellent, with very friendly and attentive staff throughout.

I was on a room only rate and had the continental breakfast just once, which was very nice. I ate twice in the bar area - food was well priced and very tasty.

Some previous reviewers have complained about the small size of the hotel rooms - my room (302) was fine - double bed, ample work area and well proportioned en suite with a near full size bath.

Would I return? Most definitely.

Room Tip: Ask for a "small double"
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear CiryMarr,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here for business in January, as an Accor Le Club Platinum I always use Accor when I travel, and when affordable. Having availed of a reasonable rate on a 'small double room' I had set my expectations accordingly.

Check-In
Painfully slow. When I arrived the receptionist was not present, and nor was the bar (located in the lobby) staffed. After a few long minutes, the receptionist appeared from a room behind the bar and checked me in. The reservation could not be found initially, which mean't I had to power up my laptop to provide the confirmation number. Most frustrating. When this was rectified the process remained slow, and I admit to becoming quite exasperated after such a long wait.

Accommodation
You may have noticed I stated I booked a 'small double room'. My god, this room was small. Although well decorated and with good amenities there was no getting away from just how small the room was, yet unbelievably, despite this, it was impossible to watch TV from the bed. It faces in completely the opposite direction which I have yet to comprehend. That said, the bed was comfortable and sleep quality reasonably good. The room was a little cold overnight however.

Bathroom.
More than adequate in size and with a full sized bath. Shower not that powerful however. I must note the bathroom was spotlessly clean.

Breakfast
Excellent value. The option of a Continental or Full English is provided. The food was fresh, and was complimented by the breakfast hosting team who were very friendly, polite and efficient. A real credit.

Check-Out
Painfully slow again. It transpired that my credit card receipt had been stapled to the WRONG guest card, which could have proved troublesome and questions the attention to detail on checkin. Luckily the correct slips were found quickly but again, check out was unnecessarily slow. For example, we were told that it was not possible to change the address on the invoice (which was necessary as my travelling companion was Swiss), and it took several long moments before it was agreed this could be changed. Polite yes, efficient, no.

My advice is to give this place a try if rates are comparable to other hotels in the area - avoid the smaller rooms though.

Room Tip: Avoid single and small double rooms if you plan to spend any time in the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank markvip
Dear markvip,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure London Kensington, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.

Your comments regarding your experience on check-in and check-out come as a surprise since most of our guests praise us for the efficient service we offer. Please rest assured that the person in question has been spoken to and we will ensure this will not occur in the future as this is not the type of service we would like to be associated with.

I was pleased to read that there were aspects of your stay that have been up to your satisfaction. I will share your comments with our team as I am confident they will be delighted to hear that.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back Mercure London Kensington and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had booked the hotel next door (1 Lexham Gardens...don't go there) to find our room was horrible. Moved next door to the Mercure and was greeted by the wonderfully helpful Bridgita on reception who couldn't be more helpful, even apologising for our bad experience of the hotel next door. It was our wedding anniversary so we were upgraded to a better room. Thank you very much Mercure, would stay here again. Room lovely, chocolates delivered to door and asked how our room was...excellent service!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ChrisL224,

Berlin
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here in December during the Christmas period. The hotel is small with a warm, homely feeling. Location is very good for central London and it has Earl's Court tube station close by. Outside the hotel bus 74 takes you to Baker Street and you pass by Harrods and Harvey Nichols.
London was a bit crazy, transport was not running and I spent most of my evenings indoors. Staff were really friendly and helpful. I saw the same people working every day at breakfast, bar and reception all throughout my stay. Just to mention a few of them Raimond, Orlane, Manas and the Manager Georgina. All of them went the extra mile. Manas was very chatty and funny.
Food in the bar was excellent, I didn't expect to eat at the hotel every evening, but it was delicious and cheap. Breakfast was buffet style and offered plenty of choice. They do omlettes and bring cappuccino from the main bar.
They gave me a free upgrade to a bigger room, even if I was traveling alone. Very happy with the size, clean room and free soft drinks in the minibar. The bed was one of the best I slept in.

I really liked my stay here. I had a different plan when I decided to visit London but I am happy I stayed here because it fit well with my change of plans. I recommend it to everyone who is looking for an affordable, clean and friendly hotel.
My salutes to the entire team.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear interberlin,