“Very clean hotel”

Mercure London Kensington
Ranked #639 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed at the Mercure for 10 days in January, actually I am still here and I felt compelled to write a review. The hotel is very clean, this is very important to me, and the rooms for London hotels are actually not bad at all, on the bigger side. The room has bathrobes and slippers, which is surprise for a 4 star.

The staff is very helpful, in the sense that they try hard. They don't seem that they have exactly been to a swiss hospitality school, but they do try, and thats what matters in my opinion. Breakfast is good, but the room service food was very mediocre. I would advise a restaurant nearby, but most of them in this area are pretty awful, stay particularly away from the Indian Zone, and the Thai places.

In any case, if you are looking for a clean hotel, decent size rooms (for London) and near the center this is a good hotel. I have stayed in many 4 star hotels and this is by far the best if your budget doesn't extend to stay at one of the 5 stars in knightsbridge and mayfair.

Room Tip: choose a higher room for quiet sleep
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank enterpreneur1
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear enterpreneur1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you found our accommodation and hospitality to your satisfaction. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback regarding your stay and the service you have experienced.

We truly value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Kensington on many future occasions.

Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Mercure London Kensington

Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you're looking for a London break then the Mercure Kensington is ideal. Its 2 mins walk from Earls Court tube station which is just a couple of stops away from all the major tourist areas.It was my first trip to London so it was tricky to pick where to stay, but I had stayed in the Mercure Hotel in Southampton so I had no reservations in booking this one. We arrived on 26th December and were not sure what to expect, as there was a tube strike on so it was a bit trickier to get around than it would usually be. We arrived at the hotel at 10.30am and took a chance that we could check in early, and that was no problem. The staff were very nice in all areas, the room was small, but we were expecting that, but the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in! We had not booked breakfast but we decided to have breakfast in the hotel the following morning and it was excellent, very helpful staff and a great buffet to choose from. The only bad thing I can say is you only get 1 hour wifi free with your stay, I can't see why hotels can't offer free wifi for the duration of your stay, It really bugs me. I would thoroughly reccomend this hotel for a London getaway, just get the larger room if staying longer than a weekend. Kensington is a lovely area and felt very safe to explore, just wear comfy shoes!

Room Tip: If staying longer than a weekend look for a larger room, the small room is tiny but fine for a weeke...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maggie-os

Dear maggie-os,

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We spent 5 nights at this hotel. The room is extremely small - only enough space to accomodate a double bed and a small bench. There is hardly any space to walk around the bottom of the bed to the other side - literaly have to squeeze our legs to get through. We were pleased to be provided with free 24 hour internet access on the day of arrival. However were very disappointed to learn that this was only for one day! and can't understand why that would be the case. Wonder if it would make any difference if we had made separate bookings for each night?

Location-wise, it is quite convenient being10 mins walk from the Earl's Court undergound station.

Room Tip: Check the size of the room when booking.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CF W

Dear gokeen,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, your feedback is much appreciated.

Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to king executive. As with many London hotels some of the bedrooms are unfortunately on the small side and are mostly recommended for shorter trips. For future stays I would like to recommend one of our Privilege rooms. The rooms are very spacious, accommodating a king size bed and include varies luxury amenities.

With regards to the internet connection, I am pleased to announce that we are now offering complimentary 256Kb/day WIFI access to all our guests.

I hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and we will the honor of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

A friend and I stayed here for a night so we could do the museums. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant but the room was average at best. The extractor fan in the bathroom did not work causing condensation everywhere and the decor is in need of some updating/ tidying up. The location is good - easy walking distance from Earls Court tube, the V&A and Kensington High Street.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear BobbysGirl11,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was delighted to read that you were pleased with our service and hospitality. I will be sharing your comments with my team.

Your comments regarding our bedrooms come as a surprise since most of our guests praise us for the neutral decor and modern funishings. However, your feedback is much appreciated as we are always looking at ways to improve our product.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you bacl on many future occasions.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have stayed here twice, both on different occasions and both for business.

The first time I was upgraded and the reception staff (a tall gentleman) was lovely and friendly even though I arrived at around 9pm.

The 2nd time, the reception lady was rude and abrupt, noting immediately that my payment guarantee card had been declined (I should hope so too, as it was a guarantee and strictly not for payment). After I got to my room (admittedly upgraded again, but she explained that it was only because they had "sold out" of the single rooms). I called down to ask where the "Fitness facilities nearby" (as noted on the website) were and what the cost was, to be told "We don't have a gym" and have the phone hung up on me.

Unfortunately, the rudeness of this staff member outshines my previous good stay, so I've rated average as opposed to good as there is a Radisson hotel at a very similar price (and closer to the tube station) on the same road which without fail offers exceptional service, polite and useful staff, and an onsite gym!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Lisa W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your second experience and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. This comes as a surprise since most of our guests have praised us for the hospitality we offer. Please rest assured that the appropriate re-training has been put into place.
Unfortunately at the moment we do not have gym facilities in the hotel premises, however we are strongly considering the construction of such facilities.
I hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and we will have the honor of welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Reviewed January 15, 2013