“Ideal location”

Ranked #488 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Limerick, Ireland
“Ideal location”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you're looking for a London break then the Mercure Kensington is ideal. Its 2 mins walk from Earls Court tube station which is just a couple of stops away from all the major tourist areas.It was my first trip to London so it was tricky to pick where to stay, but I had stayed in the Mercure Hotel in Southampton so I had no reservations in booking this one. We arrived on 26th December and were not sure what to expect, as there was a tube strike on so it was a bit trickier to get around than it would usually be. We arrived at the hotel at 10.30am and took a chance that we could check in early, and that was no problem. The staff were very nice in all areas, the room was small, but we were expecting that, but the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in! We had not booked breakfast but we decided to have breakfast in the hotel the following morning and it was excellent, very helpful staff and a great buffet to choose from. The only bad thing I can say is you only get 1 hour wifi free with your stay, I can't see why hotels can't offer free wifi for the duration of your stay, It really bugs me. I would thoroughly reccomend this hotel for a London getaway, just get the larger room if staying longer than a weekend. Kensington is a lovely area and felt very safe to explore, just wear comfy shoes!

Room Tip: If staying longer than a weekend look for a larger room, the small room is tiny but fine for a weeke...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maggie-os
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear maggie-os,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you found our accommodation and hospitality to your satisfaction. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback regarding your stay and the service you have experienced.

We truly value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Kensington on many future occasions.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We spent 5 nights at this hotel. The room is extremely small - only enough space to accomodate a double bed and a small bench. There is hardly any space to walk around the bottom of the bed to the other side - literaly have to squeeze our legs to get through. We were pleased to be provided with free 24 hour internet access on the day of arrival. However were very disappointed to learn that this was only for one day! and can't understand why that would be the case. Wonder if it would make any difference if we had made separate bookings for each night?

Location-wise, it is quite convenient being10 mins walk from the Earl's Court undergound station.

Room Tip: Check the size of the room when booking.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CF W
Dear gokeen,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, your feedback is much appreciated.

Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to king executive. As with many London hotels some of the bedrooms are unfortunately on the small side and are mostly recommended for shorter trips. For future stays I would like to recommend one of our Privilege rooms. The rooms are very spacious, accommodating a king size bed and include varies luxury amenities.

With regards to the internet connection, I am pleased to announce that we are now offering complimentary 256Kb/day WIFI access to all our guests.

I hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and we will the honor of welcoming you back in the near future.

Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

A friend and I stayed here for a night so we could do the museums. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant but the room was average at best. The extractor fan in the bathroom did not work causing condensation everywhere and the decor is in need of some updating/ tidying up. The location is good - easy walking distance from Earls Court tube, the V&A and Kensington High Street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear BobbysGirl11,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was delighted to read that you were pleased with our service and hospitality. I will be sharing your comments with my team.

Your comments regarding our bedrooms come as a surprise since most of our guests praise us for the neutral decor and modern funishings. However, your feedback is much appreciated as we are always looking at ways to improve our product.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you bacl on many future occasions.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have stayed here twice, both on different occasions and both for business.

The first time I was upgraded and the reception staff (a tall gentleman) was lovely and friendly even though I arrived at around 9pm.

The 2nd time, the reception lady was rude and abrupt, noting immediately that my payment guarantee card had been declined (I should hope so too, as it was a guarantee and strictly not for payment). After I got to my room (admittedly upgraded again, but she explained that it was only because they had "sold out" of the single rooms). I called down to ask where the "Fitness facilities nearby" (as noted on the website) were and what the cost was, to be told "We don't have a gym" and have the phone hung up on me.

Unfortunately, the rudeness of this staff member outshines my previous good stay, so I've rated average as opposed to good as there is a Radisson hotel at a very similar price (and closer to the tube station) on the same road which without fail offers exceptional service, polite and useful staff, and an onsite gym!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Lisa W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your second experience and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. This comes as a surprise since most of our guests have praised us for the hospitality we offer. Please rest assured that the appropriate re-training has been put into place.
Unfortunately at the moment we do not have gym facilities in the hotel premises, however we are strongly considering the construction of such facilities.
I hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and we will have the honor of welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Ok, I will elaborate why the title is what it is. The back story is I needed to stay somewhere during the 2012 London Olympics, majority of the time I was at a Backpacker's in Russel Square, and before I would return home to Australia I thought I'll reward myself with a nice hotel to recharge my batteries, and being an Accors member I would look at one of their branded hotels. So I went to Expedia and looked at the prices, man, they were all expensive in general. I looked at Mercure Kensington, the pictures looked good, and I always trusted the Mercure brand so I booked for 4 nights at $1307 AUD total (yes, you read it right, expensive eh?) I've stayed at a lot of Mercures in Australia and Germany, for much more less than $100 AUD a night, but once I got to the Kensington one I knew straight away it was not the best or even average one I've been to. I was in a single room with a Queen-sized bed, and the room was tiny! The bed itself is good, actually very comfortable to sleep on. But it was so tiny, I struggled to iron my clothes while in there. Lucky I was travelling solo, but even a couple would struggle in there. In my room, I had a view of some other building and offices, so not really holiday-esqe. The building looked like it is part of a bunch of buildings and Mercure has leased out a small area. The location, where credit is due, is close to shops and the tube station. I guess because of the Olympics, the hotel rates were boosted up real high so they could maximise profits. If this hotel was for less than $100 a night, it would've been ok, but for $300 AUD a night, I was kinda expecting 5 star quality there. So yes, I am very dissapointed, especially when I couldn't get any Accor points. Look at the pictures to see how tiny it is.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Toan N
Dear Toannguyenaustralia,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
Our rooms vary in size from small doubles, the room you were accommodated in, to king size rooms. The size of the rooms is clearly displayed on the website and as with many hotels in London some of the rooms are bound to be on the small side. For future stays I would recommend going for one of our Privilege rooms.
We are based in an excellent location, close to Central London and very handy for both business and holiday orientated customers. Having a city location does not always guarantee the best of views, however our front room facing Cromwell Road are always praised for the view and comfort their offer.
Your feedback is very much appreciated and we hope we will be honored to welcome you back art Mercure London Kensington.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these London hotels