“Great staff, tired rooms”

Mercure London Kensington
Ranked #507 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Great staff, tired rooms”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

A friend and I stayed here for a night so we could do the museums. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant but the room was average at best. The extractor fan in the bathroom did not work causing condensation everywhere and the decor is in need of some updating/ tidying up. The location is good - easy walking distance from Earls Court tube, the V&A and Kensington High Street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear BobbysGirl11,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was delighted to read that you were pleased with our service and hospitality. I will be sharing your comments with my team.

Your comments regarding our bedrooms come as a surprise since most of our guests praise us for the neutral decor and modern funishings. However, your feedback is much appreciated as we are always looking at ways to improve our product.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you bacl on many future occasions.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have stayed here twice, both on different occasions and both for business.

The first time I was upgraded and the reception staff (a tall gentleman) was lovely and friendly even though I arrived at around 9pm.

The 2nd time, the reception lady was rude and abrupt, noting immediately that my payment guarantee card had been declined (I should hope so too, as it was a guarantee and strictly not for payment). After I got to my room (admittedly upgraded again, but she explained that it was only because they had "sold out" of the single rooms). I called down to ask where the "Fitness facilities nearby" (as noted on the website) were and what the cost was, to be told "We don't have a gym" and have the phone hung up on me.

Unfortunately, the rudeness of this staff member outshines my previous good stay, so I've rated average as opposed to good as there is a Radisson hotel at a very similar price (and closer to the tube station) on the same road which without fail offers exceptional service, polite and useful staff, and an onsite gym!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Lisa W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your second experience and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. This comes as a surprise since most of our guests have praised us for the hospitality we offer. Please rest assured that the appropriate re-training has been put into place.
Unfortunately at the moment we do not have gym facilities in the hotel premises, however we are strongly considering the construction of such facilities.
I hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and we will have the honor of welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Ok, I will elaborate why the title is what it is. The back story is I needed to stay somewhere during the 2012 London Olympics, majority of the time I was at a Backpacker's in Russel Square, and before I would return home to Australia I thought I'll reward myself with a nice hotel to recharge my batteries, and being an Accors member I would look at one of their branded hotels. So I went to Expedia and looked at the prices, man, they were all expensive in general. I looked at Mercure Kensington, the pictures looked good, and I always trusted the Mercure brand so I booked for 4 nights at $1307 AUD total (yes, you read it right, expensive eh?) I've stayed at a lot of Mercures in Australia and Germany, for much more less than $100 AUD a night, but once I got to the Kensington one I knew straight away it was not the best or even average one I've been to. I was in a single room with a Queen-sized bed, and the room was tiny! The bed itself is good, actually very comfortable to sleep on. But it was so tiny, I struggled to iron my clothes while in there. Lucky I was travelling solo, but even a couple would struggle in there. In my room, I had a view of some other building and offices, so not really holiday-esqe. The building looked like it is part of a bunch of buildings and Mercure has leased out a small area. The location, where credit is due, is close to shops and the tube station. I guess because of the Olympics, the hotel rates were boosted up real high so they could maximise profits. If this hotel was for less than $100 a night, it would've been ok, but for $300 AUD a night, I was kinda expecting 5 star quality there. So yes, I am very dissapointed, especially when I couldn't get any Accor points. Look at the pictures to see how tiny it is.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Toan N
Dear Toannguyenaustralia,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
Our rooms vary in size from small doubles, the room you were accommodated in, to king size rooms. The size of the rooms is clearly displayed on the website and as with many hotels in London some of the rooms are bound to be on the small side. For future stays I would recommend going for one of our Privilege rooms.
We are based in an excellent location, close to Central London and very handy for both business and holiday orientated customers. Having a city location does not always guarantee the best of views, however our front room facing Cromwell Road are always praised for the view and comfort their offer.
Your feedback is very much appreciated and we hope we will be honored to welcome you back art Mercure London Kensington.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Pluses:
The room had a good king size bed which gave us a good night's sleep. Location is ok - several hundred metres walk to the Tube. There was a Sainsbury's one block away which was handy for getting breakfast supplies and such. Late checkout (2pm) was readily given when asked for and bags were also stored in a secure room. This is a bonus for those who have a late flight out of London.
Room size was ok, not large but you don't expect that in London.

Minuses:
We found that the room was very hot, even when the air cond was turned all the way down to 5C. This made the room uncomfortable to be in and you could not open the windows to cool the room down. Seems like a waste of electricity to overheat your hotel like that. (Outside temp was about 7C)

The hotel advertises free wifi. This is not entirely accurate as the free wifi turned out to be only for one continuous hour per day. This is not useful at all for most people, and as we walked out one day I heard another traveller arguing with reception over this matter. Methinks the hotel needs to advertise this limitation very clearly when you are booking. Who would access the internet only once a day for an hour? Most people want to check emails or look up attractions etc as the need arises.

Overall, a good choice at a reasonable price (for London).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Limmy,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We welcome both your pluses and minuses.
I was delighted to read that you were happy with the service and the location of the hotel.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the air-conditioning. Had we been aware of your concerns we could have rectified them for you.
We offer complimentary WIFI for 1 continuous hour and have a business centre open 24/7 where our guests can use the internet facilities. Our internet prices are comparative with our competitors, however I understand your point of view and we will be looking at changing our complimentary internet offer.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The beds were comfortable , and the location handy for the tube and shops etc.

When we arrived we informed them of the broken toilet and shower. The toilet was not fixed til 4 days later, and the shower was never fixed during our stay.

My booking stated that i had free wifi , but the reception people informed me that it actually costs five pounds per hour to access it..... " WE give you a TV, but you have to pay for the movies , WE give you free wifi , but you have to pay for the content'' was the explanation.

Also do not expect to sit in the lobby , if the bar is closed. This is very discouraged.

There is one tiny lift for the whole hotel , you will be waiting ages when you check in or out , lucky we were on a low floor so we used the stairs. The staff have there own lift , but the paying customer has to use the stairs ?????

If you are looking for a hotel in this area , i am sure you can find better

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank duncan m
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Duncan M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was disappointed to read your concerns and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Our hotel offers 1 h complimentary WIFI for the duration of the stay. We also have a business centre available where internet connection is complimentary 24/7. The internet prices that we practice are comparative to our competitors.
Our bar is open every day from 7AM till 11PM and we also have room service available. The lobby / bar area is for all guests to use whether they use the bar facilities or not.
The hotel has one lift for guests use and on occasion, when the hotel is fully booked, our guests have to wait unfortunately a little longer to make use of the lift. We are aware of this situation and we offer luggage assistance to our guests in order to avoid them struggling.
I hope you will not judge us solely in this experience. We pride ourselves on our high standard of service and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.