“Find Another Hotel”

Mercure London Kensington
Ranked #637 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel was a huge disappointment. Of course, we never really believe the photos shown on websites, but this takes it to a new level. The basic problem is that it is an old creaky hotel that has been refurbished, but only really to the extent of a coat of paint. The rooms are small, the walls are paper thin and the lift is an antique. Our room had an unusual feature in that part of it sloped uphill, a real problem for one of the beds positioned across it. At least it made rolling out of bed easy. The bedhead on the adjacent bed was so loose that it actually hit you on the head when you got into bed! There were many other issues, such as a toilet you had to fight with to flush, stair lobby doors outside that creaked so badly they constantly woke you in the middle of the night, plus a general lack of detailed cleanliness. Also worth checking: make sure you understand the misleading statements made about "free wifi"! The senior staff has a "devil may care" attitude to any issues and in most cases talk down to you, rather than try and understand your concerns. The junior desk staff and porters are far more capable in their jobs and I can only praise their actions; they could teach the senior staff how to treat guests properly. I will say that the hotel's location is it's best feature, although in no way a big enough factor to redeem it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CJPMJP
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear cjpmjp,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure London Kensington. I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.

I was surprised to read your comments regarding the attitude of our senior staff members, as most of our guests praise us for the hospitality we offer.

We offer complimentary WIFI for one 1 hour for the duration of stay and we have a business centre that is open 24h offering complimentary internet access and printing facilities.

I would like to ask you to contact me directly at h8064-gm@accor.com to reveal your room number and name in order for me to able to better look into your concerns regarding your room.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back Mercure London Kensington and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,599)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have just come back from spending 4 nights at this hotel. The service in the hotel is excellent. Room was very roomy and spotlessly clean and tidy. No worm furniture carpets or decoration. First class. The location is very good 10 minutes walk to Earls Court tube which is on the Piccadilly line for access to nearly all major tourist spots. There are also restaurants in Earls Court Road which are very good. Kensington High Street is about 15 minutes walking distance as are Natural History Museum, Science Museum, V & A Museum and Royal Albert Hall. We visited them all. Will definitely stay here again. Well done Accor Hotels we have stayed in other hotels in France in your group and they are consistanty good.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor near the road and you could harly hear traffic noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda P
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Linda P,

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay.
Your comments will serve as an encouragement to our staff that are continuously striving to provide excellent service.
I hope we will have the honor to have you as our guests on many future occasions.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayted this hotel for the first time as other my regular hotels were full or high price while this hotel's room rate was more affordable. I found the reason when I stayed. Not very convenient location and comfortable level was below the average of Mercure hotel that I know. In conclusion, acceptable hotel at lower room rate.

Room Tip: No specif idea.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Masaofc,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was dissapointed to read that you found our location not convenient as we are always praised for our excellent location that offers easy access to the city via District and Picadilly line.

It is a shame that you are rating us as low grade Mercure as I believe we have a lot to offer and so many other guests have appreciated that.

We are grateful for your feedback and I hope we will have the chance to improve your opinion about our Hotel.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Sorry Mercure, but this has to be the worst property that you own - and probably the worst staff.

1) Whatever your "policy" - you do not get a copy of my passport. This insidious habit should be outlawed. I am English, and do not carry ID in my own country. Although your staff may originate from a Police State, we do not usually have to prove identities in the UK.

2) The RSPCA have larger rooms for their animals. I also expect that Battersea Dogs home has less noise from the air conditioning units behind the hotel.

3) One hour free WiFi for guests means exactly that. Not "One Hour Free if you swipe your VISA for any extra charges". Sort this out please - it's either illegal or at least misleading.

4) I really enjoyed struggling with my luggage from the taxi, while your doorman/barman/ porter greased up some other guests for a tip.

5) Never again. and me an "A-Card" holder too - maybe not for long.......

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear derrickbAucklandNZ ,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was disappointed to read your concerns regarding your recent stay with us and I would like to offer my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
1. Our staff follow procedure and in order to prevent fraud we ask our guests to confirm their identity. We are only doing this to protect our guests interest and ensure we are not dealing with any fraudulent attempts which have increased in the last few years.
2. We have different types of rooms and their sizes vary. You have booked one of our small doubles. For future stay I would recommend booking one of our Priivlege rooms, that are very spacious and offer the comfort of a king size bed.
3. We offer 1 h, consecutive, complimentary, WIFI to our guests and we also have a business centre available 24/7 for our guests convenience where they can use the internet and print as well.
4. Your comments regarding the attentiveness of our hall porter comes as a surprise since most of our guests praise us for the hospitality and helpfulness.
5. I would like to ask you not to judge us solely on this experience. We pride ourselves on our high standards of service and I hope that you will give us a chance and experience a more enjoyable stay.
I am more than happy to discuss this with you directly. Please do not hesitate to contact me at h8064-gm@accor.com

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed in London from Friday to Monday in October.
The hotel is situated at 5 minutes from a subway station (Picadilly Line, which cross London) in the nice district of Kensington (near Hyde Park, thz Natural History Museum...)..
The staff was friendly (I want to emphasize that) and the hotel very clean. Good breakfast.
The room was small (but it's usual in London)!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jean-François P
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Jean-François P,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. Your positive comments have been shared with our team and they will serve as an encouragement for them to continue providing excellent service.
We hope to have the honor to welcome you back on many future occasions.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed here for a few days in late October. The hotel is in a great location in Kensington, on a relatively quiet street. It is located a 5 minute walk from Earl's Court metro station which is conveniently located on the Picadilly Line (which goes to Heathrow) and also the District Line. We just took the train to and from the airport, but it would be more difficult to do so with large suitcases. It is also equally close to Gloucester Road station (Picadilly and Circle lines). If you are traveling with luggage, Earl's Court station has an elevator from the Picadilly line.

The area nearby the hotel has a lot of restaurants (mostly Indian and Asian); we tried a few and they were all great.

Aside from the location, the hotel simply isn't designed well. The rooms are incredibly small. We recently stayed at a Mercure in Seoul, and Asia is known for small hotel rooms, but that one was 3-4 times the size of this hotel room. We have stayed in some small rooms before but this was the smallest. We have stayed in a Japanese-brand hotel in Tokyo and that was larger. We have stayed in the smallest room on a cruise ship, and that was larger. Its hard for me to get across how small it really was. You couldn't even get around the bed to walk through the room without having to turn sideways. It seems like if they set the furniture up differently it would have been a bit better. There is a desk with chair and tv, but the tv is positioned so that you can't see it from the bed (or anywhere else in the room really). Frankly, it was hard to have 2 people in the room at the same time. It wasn't just the size, it was also the furniture setup. We stayed in a standard room, so perhaps the more expensive version is significantly larger?

Our window latch was broken so the window stayed partly open the entire time. We weren't too concerned about the safety of it since we on a high floor, but would have been a problem if it had been colder.

The bathroom is also a terrible setup. When you use the toilet, you are basically pressed up against the wall. There is a large bathtub but it is so high up off the ground that it is impossible not to slip getting out of it. The showerhead was not that great. I would have preferred just a shower, no bathtub, and more space around the toilet!!! When we arrived, the fixtures in the tub had rust around them. During our stay, the sink sprung some sort of slow leak and dirty grimy drips dripped out of the pipe below the sink all over the floor.

There is a large safe in the room, big enough to fit a 13inch laptop, which is nice. We didn't try breakfast at the hotel because it was ridiculously priced and you can go anywhere nearby for much much less.

The service at the hotel was fairly good. Some of the staff don't have great English so it causes some confusion if you are asking for something specific. They first charged us in dollars even though we wanted to be charged in pounds (because the exchange rate they give you is terrible) but this caused immense confusion because they didn't really understand very well.

They do give you 1 hour of free wifi, but the system for that is really terrible. The system doesn't kick you off when you have used your hour, it just keeps going and charges you their exorbitant rate, which they don't tell you when they give you the access code. If you use 10 minutes, that uses up your free hour, so you cannot use it multiple times. There is a computer and printer available for use in the business center, so we just used that. There is also a McDonalds and a Pret a Manger right near the train station, both of which have free wi-fi.

We got a really good rate on this hotel (about 1/3 of the posted rate), but even with that, I'm not sure I would stay here again. As time went on in our stay (4 nights), the size of the room got more and more frustrating and the problems got more numerous and annoying.

Tip: No matter where you stay in London, get an oyster card if you are planning on traveling on the tube, because it gives you the cheapest fares and is convenient.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank PoorestTourists

Dear Pooresttourists,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was disappointed to learn of your concerns regarding your recent stay and I would like to offer my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Our rooms vary in size from small doubles to privilege rooms that are very spacious and accommodate a king size bed. You have booked one of our small double rooms which we mostly recommend for short trips or overnight stays.
Your comments have been taken on board and shared with our team in order to prevent other guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future.
I would like to restore your confidence in us and I would like to ask you to personally email me at h8064-gm@accor.com .

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights on Friday and Saturday. The hotel isn't too big and impersonal and we felt really well looked after and we enjoyed a lovely cooked breakfast on both mornings.

Hotel rooms in London are normally small and while this wasn't huge it was a good size and very comfortable.

Overall we had a great stay in a convenient location with very little traffic noise and I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian C
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Ian C,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your feedback has served as an encouragement to our staff that do their outmost to ensure our guests have an excellent stay.
We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back on many future occasions.