“Poor and Basic Hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,003 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Luzern
“Poor and Basic Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in July for six nights with my family. The only positive thing about the hotel is the location. It is a three-minute walk from Earl’s Court underground station so the location is perfect.

Arrived at the hotel in the evening. After checking in I had to pay the full amount up front before we could get the room key. No problem and I wanted to pay by credit card. The clerk at the reception told me if I pay by credit card then he will charge me a 5% surcharge, and asked if I can rather pay by cash. The hotel advertised that they accept credit cards and when I made the booking it stated I could pay by credit card and there was nothing about surcharges when paying by credit card. I mentioned this to the gentleman and he just shrugged his shoulders. Who today travels with lots of cash? Please advertise that guests will be charged a surcharge when paying by credit card. This is much more honest.

The lobby is tiny and you have to squeeze past people. There is no elevator and the stairs are a danger as they are carpeted, slippery and not very wide for the foot. The clerk told us our room was on the 2nd floor. In fact it was on the fourth floor and we had to go up and down with all the luggage. Not an easy task.

The rooms are very basic. Beds are very uncomfortable and not sure when the last time they changed the mattresses. Looked like about twenty years ago. We had six single beds, and the one bed was a thin mattress on two half mattress stands so when you lay down the stands kept sliding apart and you landed up sleeping on the floor as the mattress would fall on the floor. Bathroom is tiny and only place for one person. No place to hold toiletries. Toilet flushed all the time. The bathroom had to tiny bars od soap but no soap stand in shower. Shower head kept falling off so you had to hold it on with your hand. Not very practical when showering with one hand. First night window would not close. Had to go all the way downstairs to ask the clerk to help. He came up and took about ten minutes to close the window. There are no cupboards in room so had to live out of suitcases. There was a tiny little cupboard that was useless as it had to shelves or rod for hanging clothes. Useful thought to store a suitcase.

Next morning we noticed a nicer room on the second floor was empty and asked to moved. Was told no as it was reserved and after much discussion we were allowed to change to the other room. This room actually had a cupboard but no hangars. Had to ask the same clerk for hangars which seemed like I had asked a difficult request. Finally got some metal hangars. In this room the window was propped open on a wooden stand and could not move it for the entire week. The noise in the main road was incredible. All the windows had blinds, which were totally broken so we could not darken the room. This woke us all up early in the morning with sunshine streaming in and the noise of traffic.

It was so hot in London that week and the room was like a sauna. Two beds were in the attic, which seemed cool for my kids but the temperature up there was even hotter and not pleasant for young kids. Mattresses are on floor. All beds are very uncomfortable. The rooms and hotel are in need of major repair and renovation.

The room has a large fridge, which was much cleaner and better than the small fridge in the first room at the top of the hotel. Room came with a small kitchenette but no basic items like crockery and cutlery. There is a supermarket just around the corner, which was convenient. The hotel is suitable for maximum two nights stay but not longer especially with small children.

1 Thank HappymanLuzern

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Sifnos, Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel just for one night(hopefully)...it is cheap but the room was in a bad condition...bed are very uncomfortable and furnitures in general are in a bad condition..
If you want a cheap room for just one night in London it's ok otherwise choose something else...
If y

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Giotalek

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Waimea, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Very cheap room. Dirty with low security. We were very disappointed with our room. Although the staff tried to accommodate us by offering a different room, we forfeited our payment and found another hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bunaloo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

I am very happy with my stay at 37 Collingham Place. We got a very spacious room with all the facilities needed. I'm a bit surprised reading previous reviews as my room was 10/10 clean and the staff was very welcoming and helpful.
Good location, just a little walk to the Earl's Court station.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Layla T
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I got a dirty, Dusty, small, ugly room. The first day they forgot to tidy up my room and they didn't care a out that. Worst hotel that I have ever been in. The owner has also been impolite to me. I wouldn't go there again even if for free

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank FrancescFila
Olathe, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

If I could give it worse than terrible I would. No ventilation, black mold, if there was a fire were in the dungeon with bars over the windows and no fire exit (we would have died for sure)! This is by far the worse place I have ever stayed. Disgusting! Family of 4, 2 towels?? Umm, we are a close family but seriously?? Our family decided that we would have slept better in a park under the stars then in this room (which we seriously considered after walking to nearby hotels and not finding any vacancies).

1 Thank Amy S
Patumahoe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Do not stay here if you are a large family! I read the reviews but decided because of the price we would stay. Very unpleasant experience. We are a family of 6 and the conditions were extremely cramped. Mattresses on beds were old and uncomfortable. We were provided with cups and cutlery for 2 people and 1 plate. On booking we were told we were on the second floor but had 5 flights of stairs to climb. Shower and toilet was smaller than any ensuite I have used. We had to leave windows open 24 hours a day to get any ventilation and had to buy a fan so we could all sleep at night. Only plus was how close it is to the underground. You are made to pay up front before you see the room. Ask to see the room first!!!!!! Not worth staying here if you have more than one night.

Room Tip: From checking out rooms that were being cleaned there appears to be only one good room. If you are...