“please do not enter!!!!”
Review of Zorba's Greek Taverna - CLOSED

Zorba's Greek Taverna
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2012

we tried to go to other greek restaurant but it was full - ended up here. It s like fawlty towers but worse. Over priced, small portions, but food ok - at best.we were lucky to be served in just over 2 hours. Other people who were there before us - still hadnt had there food at this point.No meals come with any garnish, salad, vegetables. Our two starters came 20 minutes apart. no forks given. The staff were shouting. guests arguing with staff. When we complained - the chef came out and agreed with us about the service! That sums it all up.

1  Thank steve j

Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I arrived to London in the evening and not far away from the hotel we saw a restaurant that we picked as we were afraid nothing else would be opened. As soon as we entered we both felt a mouldy smell in the restaurant and I wish we left as I would normally but due to the late hours we decided to stay. We had a look at the meny and I got a bit chocked at the prices - for example a tzatsiki was £3,50 plus and the souvlaki close to £10. We ordered some starters, the souvlaki, chips and a moussaka. The sizes of the dishes were ridiculous for the prices...tzatsiki was two spoons, chips were cooked in old oil and were greasy, the souvlaki came in three pieces with 4 small pieces of meat (A REAL JOKE for £10) and was disgusting. The meat was old and full of fat. The moussaka was old and smelled of lamb although they said it was beef minced. We called over the waitress and she had a bad attitude when we explained to her that the chips were socked in oil. We looked at the food and didnt touch it, paid £46 and as we left I told the owner that his food is unacceptabel and that he should be ashamed of himself taking advantage of tourists cause thats the way his making his earnings. Please do not visit this restaurant, the owner is a joke to greek cuisine and should be closed down. The restaurant is at the corner of Craven Hill Garden and Leinster Garden near Hyde Park and is named Zorba - Kalle På Spånget. If you see this name run.

10  Thank NAR79
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Terrible. Owner coaxes you in with stories of how great it is. Terrible service (long waits), terible food (tasted as if from a can, and tiny portions to boot) and over priced. One choice of wine served in a jar, you are told how wonderful it will be, its terrible. The owner had scarpered from his post at the front door by the time we had finished.

Avoid at all costs.

3  Thank Brent M
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I would like to tell that this is the worst restaurant i've ever been in my life,,I was a visitor in london and its really sad when You receive this kind of experience..The Owner is a very shrewd person and is out on the street to invite you in..Once inside they take their own time in serving You..I was told that it's Greek food , but didn't match with any of the Greek food I'd experienced earlier..It was utterly disappointing..I didn't ask for a desert but was served with one..Since I was with my family I didn't want to create a scene there..and finally the bill was wrong to make the matter worse..PLEASE AVOID THIS RESTAURANT..It is better to eat a loaf of bread that to have anything from Zorba...

4  Thank Kailas_11
Reviewed December 27, 2011

On Christmas Day we had a confirmed reservation for Kalamaras Greek Taverna, but it seemed to be closed. So we searched and finally found Zorba's Greek Taverna. The welcome was friendly and that was the only positive. We ordered starters and main course. Only my husband got his soup after an hour. My son ordered Greek sausages, he only got one very little sausage that was burned outside and raw on the inside. We asked the waiter to take it away and said we wanted to cancel the rest of our order and wanted to pay. He said that that wasn't possible because our Souvlaki was already on the grill. After a while he brought us each 9 little pieces of meat on a plate, impossible to cut and not tasty at all. We didn't eat it and decided to go. We asked for the bill and complained about the food and service but the waiter didn't listen and turned his back on us. We had to pay 86 pounds!
While waiting there we saw raw meat on a plate near the ground, it wasn't cooled or covered properly. The cooler near the entrance showed a temperature of 10,8 degree and contained raw fish and meat. Clearly bad hygiene, bad service and a disgrace for all the good (Greek) restaurants in London. We can't believe that this restaurant is still open, because afterwards we found bad critics on the internet since 2007!

2  Thank Family25122011_11