“Back to my roots”

Ranked #255 of 556 London B&B and Inns
reggio emilia
“Back to my roots”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed in the pub for 3 nights with my daughter - I must admit I was rather wary at the idea of staying there as I grew up in the area and so obviously know it well. After being quoted a ridiculously high price in the local hotel, I shopped around and chose this pub and I was pleasantly surprised by what I found - very large, comfortable rooms that were clean and equipped with the essentials for staying overnight, very helpful and friendly staff who did everything possible to try to make your stay pleasant. Separate access to your room if you don't want to go through the pub.

Room Tip: Not for a "luxury" seeking break but very good, value for money and a comfortable stay in...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Giuseppe C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is a typical old English pub with accommodation. The pub is being is being renovated at the moment, this is not a negative as our room with en suite was clean and comfortable. The bed was a good size. The Publican and his wife were very nice and always helpful. Down stairs in the bar it gave one an inside to a good old English pub atmosphere. The train station was 10 minutes walk and the supermarket is right across the road. Would recommend this old style pub.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor with en suite
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We turned up to find the free parking was actually on the street and had you had to be off the parking space by 8.am, we checked in and the guy behind the bar was pleasant...not like the punters s my partner sneezed unexpectantly...of course he covered his mouth only to have explenatives from a man whom didn't even have the nerve to look me in the face when I asked what his problem is...not a nice area at all, felt quite unsafe. Got to our room and there were no curtains, just a see through office vertical blind with slats missing, and the noise from the street was as if I was on the street, there was no food on, which was one of the reasons I chose it along with the parking, we had to stack the spare beds and mattresses against the window to black it out...We did ask for some curtains and the member of staff didn't bother doing anything so saw the manager...whom just retorted "what did we expect for the price..well for £55 I would have expected curtains at least in the so called Luxury rooms. One good point was that it was very clean. Then to top it off upon my return home I have found that they have taken and extra £50 from my account for the privilege of using my initiative in order to get a good nights sleep. Keep well away as this seems to have happened before after reading the reviews on here..... no hospitality skills whatsoever.....

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ramstein, Germany
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Recently spent a week at the King William. If you're looking for luxury accommodations, this is not the place. But if you're looking for an affordable and clean place with a wonderful staff, you won't be disappointed here! Geoff and Emma-Jane were fabulous hosts and the amazing Brodie's Beers featured at the pub were an added bonus. The room was clean and comfortable, and although a bit outside of London, we found it very easy to get around on public transportation. There are plenty of affordable places to eat nearby, and the breakfast across the street at the Bakers Arms was delicious! You might think staying above a pub could get noisy, but it was never an issue. And the food at the pub was excellent and affordable. Overall, I would highly recommend a stay at the King William!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jvlv17
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had arrived in London to a serviced apartment that we had booked in Leyton, and when we arrived it was way below standard, so at 10pm on a Saturday night the first place we found was King William IV Hotel and Bar. We were welcomed by Jeff the owner and he was more than accommodating with our situation, we were offered a large double room, TV, en-suite, and one of the most comfortable beds ever!!! At a fantastic price!!

I can't say enough good things about this bar, we couldn't hear any noise from the bar itself, it was so clean and very well kept. Good internet wifi also.

I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone!!! 11 out of 10!!

Room Tip: Room 8 on the top level, lots of stairs but worth it for the size!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SES406
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed in this hotel 2 nights. The hotel is a family owned pension on the top of a pub.

The rooms are normal, quite clean but nothing special. The toilet is very small but at least they give towels and shampoo.
There is Thea and coffee available but they seams not to have been changed for years...the boiler was quite dirty. The room was facing the main street and was very noisy..during the day and during the night is the same....
Do not expect daily cleaning.
If your leave the room before 11 a.m. you have to leave the key in a box because the "reception" is the pub and, if it is closed, there's nobody.
The pub downstairs is nice and you can eat for few pounds.

The position is bad if you want to see London...it's 15 minutes by bus to the metro station and then 30 minutes from the center of London by metro.

Leyton is not really a nice place to visit.

I would like to underline that I payed with credit card and someone cloned it stealing 600 euros from my account buying online an huge coffee machine of nespresso....I don't want to say that the people of the pub-hotel did it but it happens the same night I payed the rooms...mmhhhh...

Better to pay cash...just in case...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank BabsHeich
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I'd heard a lot about this pub and it's lovely Brodies beers but didn't know they had letting rooms, when I found out, I just had to stay. I booked a double bed en-suite room on-line and as we arrived way before the check-in time, the friendly bar staff allowed us to leave our bags behind the bar whilst we went out to explore the local area.

When we got back from our wanderings we had a friend in tow who we'd bumped into in Stratford. He had intended to travel back to North London by night bus but when my partner and I finally checked in to the "King Billy" our double bedded room turned out to contain 4 single beds instead of the romantic double we'd booked.

As the price was for the room and not per person, our friend didn't have to try and work out a bus route back to North London, probably best as well as we'd had a few beers.

The room was at the front and had very thin blinds which didn't cut out much of the street lighting right outside the window. The beds were well worn but they were clean as was the room. Part of the building had sheeted scaffolding all over it which did mean a rather interesting sailing-ship sound could be heard through the night as the wind blew through the sheeting.

All things taken into account, this is a basic, cheap hotel in a less than salubrious part of London but it is friendly and clean. If you are looking for a romantic night in the capital, maybe not the right place but if you're looking for a place to flop down with your mates after a long day on the beer, it's a fantastic place.

Room Tip: The rear of the hotel overlooks the small brewery and yard and so probably has less light pollution...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank headmixer
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
The William IV
East End / East London
Russell House
Russell House
#101 of 556 in London

Been to King William IV Hotel & Bar? Share your experiences!