“Not what i hoped.”

Bread Street Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Bread Street Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #720 of 23,677 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Reviewed February 8, 2013

New Gordeon Ramsey, close to my office - a perfect bsuiness lunch destination you would think. Unfortunately not. The building is fantastic, style is epic. Pre-lunch drinks at the bar, service was great, well prepared but missing out of stock on particular gin and the particular wine we ordered! Table availability was late, not good when with clients. Service polite and attentive but failed to notify of ingredient alterations. food (starter & main) - "ok" but far from inspirational. value for money - no. acoustics create a loud atmosphere - would be brilliant in the evening, i got it wrong for lunch choice though!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The food was nothing special and seemed expensive, hated all the additional cover charges which added another fifteen pound to our bill. The pizza and pasta starters seemed really bland, the pizza which was meant to be cooked in the wood fire I think but seemed like it was cooked in a normal oven as not one scrap of characteristic charcoal or bubbling if you have a pizza like this usually. Could have one with a bit longer. Rigatoni could have done with more seasoning or perhaps some garlic just seemed like a bland tomato sauce and the pasta was a bit overcooked for me but then I like it al dente and some people don't. The disaster though was my choice of cod as a main course. My problem is that I eat fish but I don't eat meat ... yes one of those nuisance people. So the cod with crushed potato and artichoke came along with a meat gravy on it. It was dark and bisto coloured and smelt of meat. Call me old fashioned but I have never been served fish with meat gravy on it before so did not think to ask .... the waitress did not know what was in the gravy and said it was just red wine but did not know. I told her I could smell meat, in fact it was overpowering. Finally FoH came up and said it did have meat stock in and they would swap it. It was not a problem so that was good and I suppose I should have asked if there was any meat in the fish dish. They said it was 'just a bit of chicken stock' but I don't eat chicken so that was not really any good for me. The next dish was seabream with no meat but the razor clams (thought they would be in their shells) and samphire added to the saltiness of the dish (why I didnt choose initially as I thought it would be salty) so not really my cup of tea. My partner had finished his meal by the time mine arrived but he had to sit with his plate uncleared. Yep not a good experience and the bill was £99 for 2 courses each and a bottle of wine. Seats hard too! Be good for work parties though.

Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit after a good first experience when BSK first opened. Already stung by the 'table not ready have a drink at the bar' routine again, we still then had to wait 20 minutes past our reservation time to be shown to our table. The FOH service was so slack we had to sit on our coats as no-one offered to take them.
Starters were fine, though things went further downhill when our waiter spilled our wine on the table, shrugged and walked off with no intention of clearing it up. As the spilt wine made its way across the table our waiter was more preoccupied helping sing happy birthday at another table. We had to ask him to wipe the table.
Main courses arrived - the hotpot was a very expensive shepherds pie and the burger inexplicably arrived on a side plate in a cold bun. Not all our sides arrived and when we asked our waiter he argued about what we'd ordered. When I told him we were really disappointed with our experience, he told me I was making him feel bad.
Though there were sincere attempts by staff to make the rest of the meal enjoyable, BSK won't be somewhere we will rush back to. We will go somewhere where the management understands that a meal out for most people is an expensive treat and value their customers accordingly.

1  Thank Travleydude
Reviewed February 6, 2013

All in all very good, waiter forgot some basic manners or rules, assumed everyone wanted the wine didn't ask, brought he next tables food to our table, once I had a quiet word it improved, we laughed because old Gordon if he ever visits then he would have had a few more choice words, they redeemed themselves by bringing Amy a birthday surprise
We left and agreed a good night had by all

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We came in a little bit late, quite hungry, and most other restaurants had been closing their kitchens. Quite creatively, the manager said he was happy to have us but said due to time restrictions they could only serve us burger. We were delighted with that, as we were really hungry and didn't want to keep looking.
The burger were quite nice, I think I've had a burger at most burger places you can think of in London and can safely say this is a good one.
It was a quick mid-week dinner but I'll always recommend the restaurant if only because they were creative enough to gain some business and accommodate us, leaving us with a very good impression of both the food and the staff/service. Anyone who's been stuck hungry in London when the kitchens start closing knows how priceless that experience was.