“nice hotel and great stuff”
Review of The Castle Bar

The Castle Bar
Ranked #188 of 571 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2012

the beauty of the hotel are the ppl.
great and warm stuff very friendly and concern
the location is a bit far from the tube about 10 min by bus. but the bus staision is right oyt side the hotel and takes you to camden town or trafalgar sq/

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank mira a

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at the Castle Bar for 5 weeks from 8th Jan to 10th Feb. Initial impressions were not great. My friend and I had both booked the top room with the twin single beds and on the way up, we noticed the roof had a huge hole in it, which, we would come to learn, made the whole building freezing cold. Despite this, we enjoyed 5 weeks of comfort in the room. There was a portable heater in the room, and the room was lovely and toasty despite the 'big freeze' weather outside.The beds were uber comfy! I still miss the beds. There is access to a medium sized kitchen which all rooms can use. The top floor had a separate shower room and toilet which was to be shared between all rooms on the floor - three in total. The shower was actually quite nice but we had issues with people from the other rooms taking the toilet rolls and the handle on the outside of the door was missing, so people kept getting locked in there! once we figured out how to embrace the troublesome broken handle, it wasn't a huge problem. There was also access to a washing machine in the basement, which was very handy. The landlord was lovely, and very easy to deal with. One of the nights, there was a bucking bronco downstairs in the bar. My friend and I indulged in many turns of the bull, even the landlord had a turn! Also, the drinks were really cheap, which was a definite bonus what with our student budgets. The only negative I would say about the bar, was the bar manageress was not very friendly. The landlord told us he would be reinventing the bar as a restaurant in the coming months though, which would be much better suited here as there really wasn't anywhere cheap and local to eat out while we there other than an Indian takeout across the road. Castle bar is in quite an awkward spot with regards to accessing the tube. Especially if you are in London for work. You either had to pay to get a bus up Camden road to Camden road tube station or walk for almost 20 minutes to Caledonian tube station.Everday. This would have been fine if our fashion internships were paying our travel expenses but they weren't and having to walk so far every morning was detrimental to getting in on time everyday.Bus access was perfect though with stops right outside on the front of the bar. There was also a Sainsburys further up the road. The internet signal was absolutely shocking. We were required to submit a report via email to our institution of education by a certain date in February and on that day, our internet signal was completely dead. The landlady kindly allowed me to use her office PC which wasn't using wireless internet, but the room was so cold I could see my breath in front of me and the internet was still very, very slow. This made for a very stressful end to an otherwise stress-free stay. I would definitely stay here again if the problems with the internet could be solved. That was really the only thing that would prevent me coming back.

Room Tip: The attic rooms are shielded from the sound of the pub on the ground floor. We couldn't hear it...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nadine1502
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed on 02/09/12.
Across from Holloway prison (no offence intended), The Castle Bar is on a main road, but as we had a room in the attic, it was not a problem. We were lucky to get the only parking space at the front (I presume none of the other guests had cars).

The Good points:
Clean rooms, friendly reception, good breakfast in a very nice Spanish-style restaurant, where Classic FM was playing (a lovely idea in the morning, instead of Radio 1). All three people looking after the B&B were Spanish, as were two other guests there, but there was no problem at all with communication.
Our room was on the top floor (we asked for one there), so be aware that people who don't like *a lot of steps* should not book one there. There is a terrace on the first(?) floor overlooking the main road, which we used to eat an Indian takeaway (it's across the road), before sleeping.

The other points:
We arrived to find the bar pulsating with extremely loud music, the bare floorboards pushed up in three places because of damp (I presume), and one wall stripped of wallpaper. In my home town we would call it a "rough pub". Never mind, it's not the the B&B (we went to The Prince Edward pub down the next road, which had original Victorian décor and quieter).
The shared bathroom on the top floor needs the female touch, for that special 'quality' to meet the requirements that modern B&Bs are now working towards.
The small sink in our room had a blocked drain.
I couldn't work out (and I really tried), how to make the TV work with two remote controls.

Having said that, we would quite possibly stay there again.

Room Tip: Lower floors for people with weak legs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights over the final Olympic weekend. To be honest we weren't expecting much given the price but for us the location was important as we were near our daughter.

What a find! Great location, perfect access to buses running in and out of the city (easier and nearer than the tube and you see so much more) and even some parking (easy for us on a motorcycle). Nice clean and comfortable room with lovely touches you wouldn't expect at this price (under 60 quid), even tea, coffee and biscuits.

The pub underneath is OK if you drink lager and like loud music, many do, but it was friendly and open late. In the top room, which is a bit of a trek, you can't hear the pub at all. Breakfast was top notch, great choice, impressive quality (given the price) and served with charm in an interesting room.

If you go, and I really recommend you try it, don't expect the Ritz, expect it to be well worth the money and you WILL be impressed. Well done staff, you run a tight ship and many could learn from your venture.

If you have the time, visit Camden market and go hungry!

Room Tip: Right at the top and you'll not be disturbed, the exercise is good for you, travel light.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RealAleRealBellies
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My partner and myself stayed here for one night as we were attending a gig close by. It is in a great location in terms of train connections. We went in to the pub to begin with (which wasn't that fantastic to be fair) but the bar maid was friendly.

The owner was very hospitable and friendly, explaining check out times,breakfasts etc.

The room itself was basic but had all the essentials. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom (across the hall) was clean. Despite our room being on a main road, it was surprisingly quiet and I had an undisturbed sleep.

I was pleasantly surprised at breakfast and there lots of different choices. Both my partner and myself went with the continental option. With it came a lovely fruit salad.

Overall, I would recommend it for a short stay. If we were to stay in London again, we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and me stayed here for five nights, when we arrived we thought the place was closed because the bar is only open in the afternoon and everything was quiet but a friendly guy opened the door after we knocked. The owner is from Chile and was very friendly with us. The room located on the very top floor was nice and warm (the days were cold in May). The room was bright and comfortable with towels prepared for us and a minibar so you can buy food or drinks to put there. The shared bathroom was clean and modern. Although is on the north of the city is very easy going to the centre. You have a tube station 4 blocks away and a stopbus in front of the Hotel and the transport in London works very well. I probably wouldn't stay here again because I prefer a near location, but it was a good option to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple