“Very very disappointed”

Ranked #833 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Very very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Well got to room on top floor. The room was small the double bed was pushed against a wall to enable the en suite door to open fully. The bed had sheets on that were too small for the size of the bed and were only changed ounce during our stay. When they were changed the linen look dirty with what appeared to be tea stains and nail varnish on them. Only two bath towels were supplied with no hand towels or bath mat which in my opinion was a health and safety issue. On the first night we asked for extra towels which we never received. There were two dorma windows in the room one of which was not suitable to open as it was situated approximately two foot from the buildings soil pipe which made the room smell lovely so had to keep it shut! The en suite was so small you had to open the door to use the sink as the space was so tight. No glass was supplied to rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth and we were given dirty ones from the reception. There were younger guests stopping on the same floor who thought it fun to run from bedroom to bedroom banging doors and having a party at 2:00am. Breakfast was classed as continental but no mention of having to go 7 doors along the road to get it. They did offer an English breakfast also but with no meat as the owners were obviously Muslim.

Room Tip: Go the ibis along the road it costs more but you will get a better deal in the long run
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kevin S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed here since central London is more than double the rate. They put us in the Pearl Hotel a few doors down even though I booked for the Sapphire. There was no breakfast in the Pearl and we went to the Sapphire. It was a room with just 6 tables for at least 2 B&Bs; needless to say, people were waiting to be seated. The breakfast was scrambled eggs and toast with margarine and second rate jam in a supermarket jar plus tea or coffee. There were croissants, cereal and juice at a help yourself table- no buffet and one waitress was taking orders and serving. Our room was updated and new and it was attractive and clean but small which is no surprise in London. There are no elevators and we had lots of luggage to carry down and up the stairs. Yes, we stayed in the basement. We were not far from the nearest Shephard's Bush underground, about 40 minutes from the center. I don't think I will stay here again though, not very impressed and it isn't THAT cheap for what you get.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if you will be put in the Sapphire if that is where you booked.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank tracy t
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Me and my partner booked this hotel due to the fact it was one of the cheapest around and in a central location. After reading the terrible reviews, I asked my partner to cancel but we were unable to do so due to the fact the booking was made the night before we were due to stay at the hotel.

I was very apprehensive to stay here but on arrival was pleasantly surprised at how modern and clean the reception area looked. The room itself although small was modern, tidy and clean. My only criticism was that the carpet in the room needed a clean but it wasn't awful and certainly didn't put me or my partner off.

I think people need to realise this hotel is a cheap and basic hotel and if your expecting the luxury of the Hilton then you will have to pay that much extra. It's decent for a place to stay for a night at an affordable price.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Londonchick94
Farnham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I originally booked into the Sapphire Hotel (a sister hotel of the Pearl) based on what looked like some moderately good reviews. The price seemed a bit steep at 100 GBP. When I turned up I was told I had been moved to a sister hotel down the road called the Pearl, but I had been upgraded and the new hotel was freshly renovated. On arriving at the Pearl I immediately saw that this was not true. The room was tiny, in the basement and work was still going on around the hotel. Despite the fresh coat of paint, the room was one of the worst I have stayed in. The room itself faced out onto quite literally a building site and every morning I was treated to the builders having their morning coffee and cigarettes talking directly outside my window. The renovation of the room itself was terrible. Cracked tiles in the bathroom, a shower angled so high that even standing against the far wall you would need to be 2 metres tall to get wet and basic fittings missing. The tiny TV was set so high in the room that when lying in bed you cannot see the screen clearly. I would never have booked into the Pearl and clearly the owners have realized this, which is why they are transferring guests from the Sapphire. Frankly disgraceful.
Avoid booking at either the Sapphire or the Pearl

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Julian S

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

A typical old-home-turned-into-a-hotel like many in London. It's inexpensive accommodation not far from Hammersmith Station and an easy walk to Shepherd's Bush station too.

The place is being renovated and there is still some work to be done. Breakfast was included in the tariff but as the dining room is not yet ready I had to walk 4 doors down and eat at that hotel.

My room was a single with an ensuite bathroom, all very newly refurbished and painted. Tea and coffee making is available as is a tv. I note heating but no air-con and when I was there London was having it's hottest summer years so the room was a bit stuffy.

Over all it was good value with pleasant and helpful staff.

Room Tip: I had a single room, number 17, just at the top of the first landing, all very convenient.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I don't actually know where to start. The plumbing was awful, the temperature was stifling, the walls were paper thin and what appeared to be the boiler for the whole building was situated in a cupboard 2 feet from my bed which sounded like a jet engine at 5.30am. To top it off, the guy in the room next door snored the entire night which of course I heard perfectly well through the walls.
Easily the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Avoid.

Room Tip: I imagine they are all equally bad.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Andy B
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I wish I had seen the reviews on this site before booking a room at this place. Unfortunately I was in a rush, and just picked a nearby hotel to stay in while on business! When I arrived at the hotel, I was rather confused, as it bears absolutely no resemblance to the photo's on their web site! (It's amazing what you can do with soft lighting!) It has the look and feel for a very basic hostel, rather that a hotel which 'raises the bar with it's ambient decor'.

The room was very very small, and as a business traveller, there was no table or other surface to be able to set up my laptop to retrieve/send e-mails etc. The bed was absolutely filthy, and when I saw the state of the bathroom, I nearly wretched, and decided I could not bear to stay in the room for even a single night.

I did managed to use their free Wi-Fi, to find and book another hotel in Hammersmith (Best Western). When I complained to the manager about the state of my room, and asked for my money back, they refused, with a great deal of hostility.

I just had to chalk up this one as a bad experience, and move on!

Other things to note:- Breakfast is actually served in the sister hotel next door (Sapphire 'Boutique' Hotel). There is also a great deal of building work going on, which had made the room very dusty.

Can't comment further, as I just had to leave as soon as possible!

Room Tip: Do not book a room in this hotel. Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business