“Sunday brunch in a non pretentious place”
Review of Green Pea

Green Pea
Ranked #80 of 23,370 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Was staying with some friends in Greenwich who had been to this place before. We had a huge and delicious sunday brunch in a quirky setting. Relaxed, friendly and cheap! What I really liked was the non pretentious ambience and the very friendly Tom who has the nicest Irish accent and is amusing and knows about good customer service. I hope to return when visiting again and try out the much praised Sunday lunch.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Everything about the Green Pea is awesome. EVERYTHING.

Mum and I came over one Sunday afternoon for lunch because of the fabulous reviews on Tripadvisor and we have no regrets because that one lunch in the Green Pea became the best meal we had throughout our entire trip in England.

Tom is the host and he made us feel very welcomed as soon as we had arrived. As soon as we were seated and comfortable, he came over and told us the menu for the day. Being a Sunday, there was the usual Sunday roast, as well as three pies. We decided to go for Sunday Roast (boiled ham) and a steak & fresh horseradish in a Guinness sauce pie. NO REGRETS. I've never had boiled ham before, and didn't know what to expect. We chose it because Tom stressed on how it was homemade (and how basically everything they served was homemade, and not from a packet or a can) so we decided to give a try. It was amazing. Moist, juicy, and with just the perfect hint of spices, it was beautiful. It came with a huge serving of carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and chopped cabbage seasoned with black pepper. The vegetables were fresh and sweet, and was the perfect pairing to the savoury, flavourful ham.

Then there was the pie. Mind, I don't personally fancy fresh horseradish, but once again, the Green Pea has got the balance of horseradish, steak and Guinness sauce just right. It was just enough that I could taste it complementing the steak and Guinness, but not enough to put me off. The steak was tender, the Guinness sauce was rich, and the pie crust was too amazing for words.

Both dishes went beautifully with their homemade meat gravy. Not some Oxo cubes in starch water, this is the real deal. Proper meat gravy that just made both the pie and the fried chips that came with it even better. And speaking of fried chips, Tom wasn't kidding when he said they are the best chips ever. They Are. The outside was perfectly crisp, and not oily. The inside was so soft and creamy. I don't know what type of potato he uses but he's got it perfectly right.

We had such a lovely time at the Green Pea, because of the food and Tom who was so lovely, that we came back two days later for a full Irish breakfast. I also had asked if they served Irish Soda Bread, because I've always wanted to try it. They didn't but Tom said he would make it for us specially if we called to confirm our reservation the day before. So we did, and he did.

Our full Irish Breakfast consisted of: Irish Soda Bread with fresh butter, really good bacon, homemade spiced sausages, mushrooms, a tomato, fresh-fried chips, white pudding, black pudding, a sunny side up, baked beans and a pot of tea. And once again, the high standards were kept. The soda bread was moist, with a lovely malty sweetness that complimented the savoury creaminess of the butter. The bacon was really good, but the sausages were even better - Spicy, spiced, and really fragrant. Everything was perfect, and in spite of our small appetites, my mum and I could not stop. Eventually, physics took over, and we decided to takeaway the leftovers to have at the airport (yes, we were flying off that day but still made it a point to return for one last glorious meal). Even when we had the sausages many hours later, they were still great cold. And Tom was so lovely once again - when he realised we were too stuffed and wanted to take our leftovers with us, he went and buttered more soda bread and packed it in for us to take along to have in the airport.

Truly, our two meals at the Green Pea was the best one I've had during my five weeks in England. Thank you Tom and everyone else who works there. This is probably my mum's last trip to England, and you've made her very happy.

To anyone else who would like to visit, take the rail to Maze Hill instead of Greenwich. It's only a 3 minute stroll from Maze Hill station.

4  Thank Joanna L
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were in search of the the best pub in the London area and by far the Green Pea/Hardys was it. We actually were in the pub side (Hardys) and had food from the Green Pea. By far they served the best Guinness and Tom's food was the best of any pub we went to (where were quite a few). Also the price and the amount of food was better than anywhere else we experienced. If you make it to only one pub in the London area (Greenwich), you need to make it this one as it was the only one we went to twice.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

A great place to stop for lunch or dinner when out in Greenwich. Right away I'll say that if you're going on a weekend, particularly Sunday, you will NEED to make a reservation the day before as it books up quickly.
As soon as you're through the door the owner, Tom, welcomes you and you feel at home. There's no menu waiting at your table. When we've gone, Tom sits at our table and goes through what on the days menu. All the food's fresh, and Tom clearly takes pride in his place so the food is cooked to perfection. I wouldn't say you go there and have fish and chips, they're famous for their pies so have one of those - they are WELL worth it. Also, the food is so delicious, you'll be shocked when you get your bill and see how inexpensive it all was.
Don't miss out if you're in the Greenwich/London area, it'll be the highlight of your day I assure you! They don't disappoint!

1  Thank ToniLucas
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner here on the back of several word of mouth recommendations and had an amazing evening. Good honest traditional food done impeccably, and loved that you can BYO wine! Tom promised the beef & Guinness pie and lamb shanks that we ordered would be the best we have ever had, and that's exactly what came to our table! Phone ahead to book as he doesn't like to do too many tables of an evening.