“Food and service is outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Green Pea

Green Pea
Ranked #51 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Irish, British, Bar
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Greenwich
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food and service is outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

Easy to miss along the main Trafalgar Road, but the food and service is fantastic. Tom likes you to book so that he can ensure the food is prepared based on numbers and cooked fresh. Tom is very entertaining and plain speaking and very soon you feel that you are at the home of an old friend. Food is homemade and delicious. The quality of the meat is outstanding. After finishing the meal Tom came over and asked if we were happy and full - if not he would bring is more meat and potato! The portions are large enough not to need 2nds! Dessert was a choice of homemade cakes and the chocolate fudge cake was the best I have ever eaten. After complimenting Tom on the cake, he gave us a helping each to take home. You really should try the Greenpea as it is a different experience to any where I have ever been and the whole of my group raved about it.

1 Thank Blairite_1985

Carlisle, United Kingdom
“this is not a restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

it is a compleatly different experience very laid back the decor is total auction room tat as you are taking this scene in the calm is broken when tom breaks the silence with his never ending blarny i could have sat there all night i have paid £100 to see a comedian but this guy is better and his food aint to bad eitther i had the lightly batterd fish and hand cut chips my wife and daughter andson in law had the pies the food was fresh and cooked to perfection this is a fantastic different experience to anything in london good value exelent tom showed me his kitchen iam amazed he can produce food so quickly we will be back with more people soon.

2 Thank userdave
London, United Kingdom
“Warm, friendly service, fresh homemade traditional food, huge portions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Decided to go here for our anniversary as it's near home and we fancied something easygoing for a work night - and we couldn't have picked any better! Tom is one of the most genuine, passionate people I've met at a restaurant! He is so passionate about using fresh ingredients and everything is freshly made.

The food is mostly good British and Irish classics including chicken pie, cottage pie and lamb shanks, all coming with a side portion of fresh vegetables and either mashed potato or chips - both of which were absolutely delicious! He's all about great tasting food so expect cream, butter and all the trimmings in the main course as well as HUGE portions so make sure you're here on an empty stomach!

You will not be rushed and you are made to feel so welcome! I had a strawberry tart for dessert and my husband had a dessert a bit like a banoffee cheesecake but lighter (made with Greek yoghurt)

He advises booking ahead for Sunday roasts, where you can choose between pork, beef, chicken and lamb - I'm really looking forward to trying it out! The chicken pie was the best I have ever tasted and I could taste hints of both egg and cheese squeezed in there. They also have great vegetarian options including parsnip sausages that he mentioned and even though I'm not vegetarian, I'm hoping to give that a go!

Tom works so many hours in a week and puts his heat and soul into this place, which just adds to its charm. The outside doesn't look like anything special - it looks like it is part of the neighbouring pub but has a separate entrance door and inside, it really feels more like you are sitting in a relative's living room rather than being in a restaurant - dress code is nice and casual and at the moment, this is still a bit of an undiscovered secret, away from the touristy part of Greenwich but definitely worth the walk if you are in the area and in the mood for traditional British food at great prices. The kind of personable service with just a few members of staff who really get to know you over time is the sort of thing you find in smaller villages and towns around England but is harder to find in London but you'll find it here.

You can also hire the pub out for a special occasion or a group party and they are very amenable to that.

2 Thank hungryforcake
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and fantastic service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Such a brilliant afternoon spent at the Green Pea, Tom was a fantastic host and everything was spot on! We ordered vegetarian parsnip sausages and mash with a brandy and mustard sauce and a steak and Guinness pie with all the trimmings. Both were absolutely delicious and we spent the afternoon relaxing on the huge sofas in the window drinking coffees and Guinness. The range of vegetarian options was fantastic (we did phone ahead to let Tom know that a veggie was coming) and Tom himself was the cherry on top of the cake. A wonderful warm host who clearly loves the food he cooks. We'll definitely be returning soon to eat the entirety of Tom's fantastic sounding new summer menu! Can't wait! Thank you so much for an amazing afternoon!

3 Thank HannahH9411
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious Fresh Homely Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I had tried to go to the Green Pea on Monday, however Tom (the owner) was massively apologetic that he wasn't open (Monday's isn't a good day to go, he'll only open for a big group). So I called to book a table yesterday evening and he remembered me and sounded really excited to hear from me also - so I was excited even before we got there.

Tom is so lovely and is really genuine in his love for what he does - you know that when he is chatting away to you, he is like this naturally and its not just a show for customers. You have the menu explained to you - as all the food is super fresh it varies slightly from day to day. Tom has saved a lamb shank especially for my boyfriend as well which we thought was a lovely touch!

The food was amazing. The portions are generous (as Tom says - turn up hungry!!) and delicious and such good value - our 2 mains came to just over £20 which was the deliciousness of the food and the size of the portions is an absolute bargain.

Don't go expecting silver service - the charm of the place is the friendliness, relaxed atmosphere and the simple, tasty and fresh food they provide. We'll be returning on Saturday to experience breakfast!

2 Thank Amanda C