“Ideal for the Tube”

Ranked #49 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Ideal for the Tube”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The InterContinental Hotel in Westminster is 1 minutes walking distance from St James' tube station. It is a modern hotel with excellent rooms that are well appointed and a decent size. The staff are friendly and efficient. The rooms have Molten Brown toiletries which is always a plus.

I have not eaten in the main restaurant but the food in the Blue Boar - the pub that forms part of the hotel premises - is good if slightly pricey. the pub also does an excellent range of cocktails. Afternoon tea in the hotel is also good but make sure you get a deal to help keep the cost down.

The hotel's location is ideal for those working in or wanting explore Westminster. It is less than 5 minutes walk to St James' Park and in easy reach of Buckingham Palace and Downing Street. You are also only 5 to 10 minutes from the Palace of Westminster if you wish to see the home of British government.

My wife and I have stayed in the hotel twice now and it is becoming one of our favorites in London. I would highly recommend it as a god base from which to explore London. If flying into Heathrow take the Heathrow Express train to Paddington. From there you can travel to St James' tube station or take a taxi direct to the hotel.

Room Tip: As a member of the Intercontinental Ambassador program I have always been upgraded to the 6th (top f...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RoryJCM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tyne & Wear
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this superb hotel for a 4 day holiday. The location is brilliant both for tourist sites and transport links- St James underground is across the street. Walking distance from one of my favourite London Parks - St James and Buckingham Palace

Hotel service was excellent. Food within lounge and restaurant both very good with a wide choice for breakfast. Table service during breakfast meant that it was a very relaxing start to the day

The bedrooms were roomy and very well air conditioned making for a good nights sleep

Loved the art work by Maria Masternak with specially commissioned political themed art portraying Westminister

Highly recommended for quality and overall comfort and service

2 Thank MontyMcCoy
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This hotel is just wonderful. The staff are so attentive and polite yet friendly too. Nothing is too much trouble. The room we stayed in was amazing! Beautiful bathroom,and huge comfortable bed.I wish we could have stayed for more than just the one night. I would go back there tomorrow if I could!
Breakfast was lovely,with a variety to choose from.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed at the Intercontinental Westminster over a weekend using a free weekend night certificate from the Ambassador program. Absolutely loved it.

The hotel room was pretty tiny, but it was absolutely stunning, with beautiful high-quality fittings and very smart design and use of space. In fact I might go as far as saying that it was the best designed hotel room I have seen in a long while!! Really loved that gorgeous little hotel room. The bed was super comfortable - great after long days of walking around London!

The hotel lobby, restaurants etc were all very chic and intimate.

Service impeccable as always! Late check out until 6pm was no problem (as an Ambassador you have guaranteed late check out until 4pm, but extending it to 6 to accommodate our late flights was no problem at no extra charge). Concierge was also great. It's a shame we weren't drinking as we were also given a free bottle of champagne on our last night there.

The location is fantastic - right across from the Metro and within walking distance of some of London's most exciting sites.

Perfect stay. 10 out of 10!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nooree
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

A perfect destination and location for a weekend staycation for us and visiting friends.
Great first impression and sense of arrival as you step off the street into the fresh scented, smart,calm lobby with a humoured Westminster theme, which is followed on and highlighted throughout the hotel . Smart, professional staff guided us through the seamless checkin process and advised us that our guests had arrived and were waiting for us in the lounge.
Our rooms were beautifully designed to create a spacious feel with sitting area, well stocked minibar and Nespresso machine. A clever swivel panel incorporating a TV defined the innovative living zones and a sliding panel door to the spacious bathing zone.. with bath and separate power/rain shower complemented with Molton Brown amenities... a lot of thought has gone into this.
Breakfast was offered in the Blue Boar restaurant by way of a generous Continental Style buffet and an a la carte menu featuring a variety freshly cooked breakfast choices. Tables are set with crisp white linen and attentive staff are on hand to look after you. All the staff were delightful and helpful and really supported the Intercontinental brand and went out of their way ensure customer loyalty.

1 Thank aloisw8
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Excellent news! I could not be prouder to read your outstanding review. It is with great pride that I share this to the rest of the team. Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the InterContinental London Westminster and for taking the time to write your feedback. I am thrilled to know how much you appreciated the hotel's design, the room and it's amenities and most especially the staff. It is comments like these that enable us to motivate our team to achieve greater heights. We would love to have you here again and I am confident you will have an amazing stay again. Please contact me directly at icwestminster.info@ihg.com on your future stays and I will make sure you will have a seamless visit.

Warm regards,
Western Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for 7 nights in June. Check in was swift and after a 21 hours flight this was much appreciated.

The negatives of the stay first.......Our room was very comfortable, however the previous occupant had ignored the no smoking policy and the room stunk. They moved us immediately and told me that if we left our bags packed in the morning they would be moved for us and all we needed to do was pick up the new keys on our return. This was not done on our arrival back that night and we had to go through the whole moving of now crushed clothing and the new room and key allocation and told we were lucky that they still had a twin room left, apparently my fault. Ok no big deal. The second incident was when we were traveling to Bath for the weekend, and on enquiry at the front desk several days prior were told that we could have the same room on our return and we were ok to have a 24 hour roll over. I.e. Check out at 6:00pm check back in at 6:00pm, I would say they had no clue what I was asking but said yes anyway. On the Friday as I was running to work, I was asked what time I would be checking out, no same room, no 24 hour roll over and we had to be out of the room by 12:00 but they could do 2:00 as a late check out otherwise wanted to charge me for a full day. After some severe feet stamping they allowed us to check out at 6:00. No notes had been taken and no memory of any conversation had by any of the staff. During this, I have to say, the staff remained courteous and finally after calling a manager, fairly accommodating.

The positives ......The hotel itself was clean, and comfortable. Very quiet even though in a busy location and practically no noticeable noise from the next room or the passage. The room was cleaned promptly in the morning and beds and bathrooms were spotless. The flowers were everywhere in this hotel and were spectacular, their smell (or added scent) wafted throughout the foyer and it was delightful to come home to. The staff on the whole were well trained and the concierge staff fantastic and worth a huge thank you for their efforts. Breakfast was the big let down, the same very morning and working in London for a week repetitive. You had to get to breakfast early otherwise the order was wrong, coffee didn't arrive and sometimes neither did your breakfast. Needs a big overhaul.

On the whole, believe it or not, I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Marlzi
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for choosing the InterContinental London Westminster and for writing a note about your recent stay. It is great to know that you loved the comforts and cleanliness of your room. I am also very happy to hear that you enjoyed the courtesy and efficiency of our staff. The team will be very happy to hear that their efforts are appreciated. However, I am very disappointed with the inconvenience we have caused on your room allocation. As you will see from the majority of our posts this is not indicative of our usual high standards and I must apologise if you have experienced this. Please be assured we will use this feedback to make sure we are consistently achieving our high standards and I hope this won't stop you from visiting us again.

Best regards,
Kettering
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night using reward points. Amazingly chic hotel, relatively newly opened - high level spec and service throughout from bell staff through to reception. Got upgraded room - disabled friendly but didn't matter to us - lovely tea, nespresso machine and free water in fridge. Huge TV in screen wall opposite bed - took while to work out as no docking station but could Bluetooth phone music to TV. Great rain shower and bath - only gripe was no convenient accessible mirror for shaving, or wife to do makeup, but overall great quality room.

Breakfast buffet wasn't included so we ordered a la carte, was ok but pricy for oj and average coffee (£4.50 each!). Buffet didn't really look worth it vs other 5 star hotels. Service in restaurant wasn't great, but rest of hotel fab.

Great location in quiet part of Whitehall - st james park tube station entrance directly opposite entrance. Definitely would go back.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at the InterContinental London Westminster and for posting your review about your recent stay. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to constantly improve the quality of our service and product. We are able to provide extra mirrors in your room (whole body mirror and/or table mirror) if required. Please let any of the team members know. We sincerely apologise if the breakfast we offer did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be highlighted to the Restaurant Director and we hope this has not tainted your view about the hotel. Thank you for choosing to come back and we could not wait for your return.

Best regards,