WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Conrad London St. James

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #42 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Utica, Michigan
“Excellent Stay in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed at the Intercontinental Westminster for 3 nights in September. The hotel was modern and our room was very clean with a very large bathroom. We stayed at the club level and the lounge was great with breakfast, late afternoon snacks and evening cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. The staff was very courteous and helpful overall. The location is within walking distance to many top locations--Westminister Abbey, Big Ben and Parliament, and Buckingham Palace. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We've recently returned from a five night stay at the IC Westminster.
Pros:
New and clean. They change the sheets every night. Smoke free.
Convenient location. St James Park tube is opposite, Westminster Abbey 2 blocks away. Not many restaurants around, but a couple of good pubs.
Good climate control (although you can't open a window). You can actually make the room cool enough.
Great bed.
Large bathroom.
There's an iron.
Good hairdryer.
Reasonably well priced.

Cons:
As many have said, it is impossible to have a shower of any length without flooding the bathroom. You'll need two sets of towels so you can stem the flow.
The room is small.
The free wifi isn't good enough to actually use the internet. Slow, slow, slow. So you pay 32 pounds to upgrade for 3 days. No one day option. 32 pounds!
Nowhere to dry your hair in front of a mirror, unless you rearrange the bar.
Breakfast buffet isn't great. Limited choice, and no breads / pastries displayed. You ask for a 'bakery basket' (I didn't think to check if we were paying extra for it, which would be absurd) which includes such travesties as the chocolate croissant. I want a couple of slices of wholegrain bread and a small croissant, not a basket of things I never eat.
Hotel restaurant isn't strong.
The first categories of rooms have no views at all - you overlook the rest of the hotel buildings.

The good and bad:
The staff. Some were fabulous - e.g. the Scots doorman and most of the staff on reception. Our room was always beautifully cleaned. Some staff weren't fabulous.

As an example, on our last day (having paid for late checkout) we decided to have afternoon tea in the lounge as a late lunch before leaving. The lounge was mostly empty at 2pm, with at most four or five groups. A waitress told us we couldn't have tea as they were fully booked. There were approximately 12-15 free tables. I explained we would not be long as we had a plane to catch, but were told no. When we returned at 3pm from a very nice pub lunch at the Sanctuary next door, there were still at least 8 empty tables. The waitress did say at that point that they could serve us tea in our room, but it was too little, too late. (And it really isn't possible to have tea in the rooms due to their size). I understand that hotels cater to all comers, but if a guest cannot have tea in their own hotel, then that hotel has got it very wrong. I don't know why we were refused service. We would not be at all offended to be told that we could have tea if we were able to leave by a certain time, but I was quite offended to just be told "No". I felt very unwelcome in the place I had stayed in for six days, and it was an unpleasant way to end our stay.

Check your bill. We were asked at check in if we would like to have breakfast in the hotel. We said we would on the next day, as is our practice, to see if it's any good. It wasn't much, so we had breakfast only twice. Our bill had five breakfasts on it. The extras were removed, but we were told "They were put on at xx pounds per day, as agreed at check in". Not by us.

Service at breakfast is hit and miss. Coffee is brought, but you wait five minutes for the milk to arrive. No-one is very clear on who ordered what - you can watch your order travel the room before it gets to you. They're over-stretched. We ate in the restaurant one night and it was much the same. Nice people, but under-trained.

I don't know whether I'd stay again. I liked the cleanliness and location. I didn't like being made to feel like a blow-in.

Room Tip: Get the biggest one you can afford.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank teachers_on_tour
maltby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Booked last minute top secret excellent result got upgraded room
Hotel good position for central London could walk to where we wanted to visit
Very clean rooms and bathroom
Molten brown toiletries provided
Staff provided excellent service
Would come to this hotel again

Room Tip: Check in early upgrades first come basis
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Great location for seeing the sights of London on foot. Great staff, restaurant/bar and club level accomodations, good breakfast options and nice for drinks and apertifs in the late afternoon. Very modern rooms, new hotel did not disappoint.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

A rare pleasure to enjoy a London hotel. I've stayed in some very average over-priced places around Westminster / Victoria but this is by far the best. Very nicely furnished and equiped room. Overall an excellent stay.

The only one disappointing things was the room service, very expensive and also took liberties in attempting to add on discretionary service charge on top of the £5 tray charge. This was readily taken off when I checked out but felt like a bit of a cheek when the total cost represented 25% of my room service order.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed here with my wife on her birthday and it was our best stay in London.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a lovely receptionist who wished my wife a happy birthday and couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome.

When we got to our room (which was lovely) there was some complimentary chocolates waiting for us with a handwritten birthday message. We were then called by reception to make sure we had settled in.

During our whole stay the staff couldn't do enough for us and were always friendly. A special mention must go to the Scottish doorman who was always happy and always made sure we were having a good time, all this and he seemed to work every hour.

The hotel bar is great for lunch, drinks and cocktails.

The location is A+, conveniently situated
right next to the tube it is also a stones throw from some great landmarks.

10/10 Thanks Intercontinental Westminster!

• Stayed November 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

The UK isn't know for their customer service but the InterContinental def. is! From check-in to check-out, I was treat like a valued customer.

The rooms were clean and well equipped. The bed was comfy. The shower and bathroom was nice. The amenities were quality. The free water and espresso was a nice touch.

They do offer a shoe cleaning service. I tried to take advantage of it since my shoes were a bit dirty (rainy London). I followed the instructions in the welcome guide, but my shoes weren't clean. They spent the night hanging outside my door. I'm glad they were taken buy someone else. I wish the hotel would either not publicise this or figure out a better way.

The restaurant, Blue Boar, was a bit of a let down. I came at about 10pm. It wasn't very crowed. I had to wait 10 minutes and ask 3 different folks to get served. The ribs were dry and not very warm. The sauce was nice. I would recommend skipping the restaurant. The service is not as good as the hotel. You can find much better food in London for the price you are paying.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business