“First time at this hotel and won't be the last”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #49 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Arrived at the hotel before check in and our room was ready. First opinions of the hotel are very clean and modern with the Westminster element clear. The reception check in was very efficient and friendly, with small talk ie why we were in London etc. We were shown to our room and asked if we would like a description and explanation of the various things within the room.

Our room was a Studio Suite was was a reasonable size for London. This Hotel only opened in November therefore everything was very new and clean. A nice touch was the Nespresso machine in the room with capsules which were topped up daily. There was also a small bottle of milk in the fridge which was better than the horrendous milk capsules. The room was very clean, modern trendy and light with the 2 large windows. Air conditioning was set at a good temperature and it worked !! The bathroom had a large bath and walk in rain shower which was fantastic. It was nice to see that IHG had gone back to the fabulous Molton Brown with plenty of choice and this was topped up twice a day. The only little negative I have is there was no full length mirror.

We used room service twice and this was excellent, very efficient and good quality food.

The club lounge is very modern and the staff in there were excellent, very attentive but not over powering. The lounge it's self was quiet and relaxing.

The concierge were helpful and gave good advice and information and were always happy to organise transport etc.

We have always used the intercontinental park lane but having used the intercontinental westminster, we will definitely use the westminster as our first choice. We hope to return very soon and are looking forward to it.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here on our final night in London, and the hotel fell slightly short of expectations. The location is a strong point, not too busy at night but not far from the Underground and many attractions. The hotel itself is quite new, and the lobby and public spaces are quite nice. Check-in was very friendly, but when we got to our room, the bed wasn't made and it clearly hadn't been cleaned very thoroughly (if at all). When we went down to get this fixed, they were very apologetic and remedied the situation by giving us a couple of free drinks at the bar while they got another room ready and also giving us free breakfast the next morning. When we did get to a clean room, it was nice. Fairly spacious by London standards, with a large bathroom and ample room to spread out. The design was very "modern traditional" with clean lines and neutral colors. Unfortunately, during our stay little problems kept popping up. The bar, while very cozy and a nice place to sit and visit, also had some sort of fly problem, which was gross. Breakfast in the morning was fair-to-middling, with lackluster service and OK food. Overall, I felt as if the hotel had gotten 85% of things right, but wasn't quite trying hard enough to create that ideal experience for visitors. I would consider returning, but probably not for what I paid previously.

Room Tip: Rooms are relatively large; we considered an upgrade at check-in but found our room to be quite larg...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spent one night at this hotel. It was the last night of our two-week trip. Our room was spotless, large and clean. The king-size beds were comfortable. The location is excellent. All the plumbing worked as it should. The staff was accommodating to our needs. We arrived and were told we had two twin-size beds. They corrected us immediately and gave us a room far more suitable to our needs. We ate in the restaurant. The food was well-presented and perfect, especially since we were exhausted and didn't want to walk around to find a place to eat.
Their large morning buffet was filled with fresh fruit, yogurt and plenty of other pastries and delicious butter. The breakfast was free. One could also order from the menu. I prefer a yogurt and fruit breakfast, so this was perfect for me.
The coffee was up to standards for Americans. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Be certain to call ahead to clarify the type of room that you want. There are excellent gastropubs...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Robin7333
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great location (across from St. James Park tube station); gorgeous rooms (they upgraded us to a king); toiletries, furnishings, all first class. Booked on Priceline and got a great deal. Would not hesitate to book there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Larry S
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Intercontinental Westminster is within a block or two of Westminster Abby, Big Ben,White Hall, The London Eye and the new Scotland Yard is next door.. But the best thing about the hotel are it's beds, which are the best I've ever encountered. The staff is a mixed bag as I felt i was going to be sent to their least room until a wonderful woman from the sales department intervened and gave me an upgrade, so I could be in the same area as my traveling companions. This front desk also sent a bill for 52 BPounds to make a 800 call, until I brought it to their attention that their own brochure said it was a 2 pound charge. So be aware that this Hotel is new and so are it's staff.
Overall its a wonderful hotel with a great location and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Travelbygerrie
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Intercontinental Westminster is a luxery contemporary hotel and the staff treats you as VIP guest. I would say that it deffinitely will appeal more to the business traveler than the family. They do not offer family rooms and maximum capacity is two per room. This hotel has been open less than a year and is located 1/2 a block from the tube station and near many historic landmarks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JMiles100
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night, and was very impressed upon entering the hotel - big light airy atrium with unusual works of art and sculpture, and very attentive staff (as it was my first time I was given a tour). The room itself was very spacious, and I was impressed with the interactive TV, brilliant bathroom/shower (with audio in the shower from the TV) and all the other little details and facilities. The bed itself was incredibly comfy and I slept very well.

Stayed here as my company gets a good preferential room rate far below the usual, so not sure if I would stay here if travelling on my own money - apparently it's well in excess of £300 a night, and the breakfast is a whopping £32! (I'd recommend going to the Greggs around the corner for a £2 bacon sandwich and coffee if you're a normal person...). However, I realise some people have plenty of cash to burn, so if that's you then this place will attend to your every need! :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business