“5 Star”

Ranked #50 of 1,067 Hotels in London
newport
“5 Star”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night over the May bank holiday and had an excellent stay. This hotel is well worthy of its 5 star classification. As other reviewers have described, it is nicely situated on a quiet road, right opposite St James Park underground station. The rooms are spotless, very comfortable, and have air conditioning which really works! Breakfast was excellent and priced about the same as most hotels of equivalent standard.
All the staff were polite. courteous, efficient and particularly helpful - nothing was too much trouble. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Cobham
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

What a fabulous hotel!
Beautiful clean rooms, well appointed and modern. Loved the TV in the mirror and the nespresso coffee machine.
Had the best Sunday brunch ever. Totally delicious food and endless mimosas!
Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013
Perthshire
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I was in London for a short overnight stay on Wednesday 1st of May and would like to thank Mr Turner and the team for the outstanding service I received from the moment I walked through the door to the moment I left.
I arrived at 11:30 after an early flight from Edinburgh and was warmly welcomed and given complimentary drinks and snacks until my room was ready at 1pm, which was a couple of hours before 3pm check in time. This was much appreciated.
I was also allocated a Superior King room and was very pleased at the high standards of cleanliness and attention to detail. I was pleasantly surprised when a member of staff arrived with a complimentary bowl of fruit and was told that if there was anything I needed to make my stay more comfortable not to hesitate to contact any member of staff.
I met a friend for dinner in the hotel restaurant and was not disappointed there either, the steaks we both had were outstanding and the restaurant staff were attentive but not intrusive.
Some may say the drinks are expensive at the hotel but you get what you pay for and you can't put a price on good customer service so I didn't mind the lounge bar prices.
I had a fabulous evening, finished off with a relaxing sleep in an extremely comfortable bed after a very long day.
I have stayed at many hotels all over the world but I have never had customer service as good as I had during my stay here, so much so that I said to my wife on my return home that I would like to bring her down to London, catch a show and stay at the hotel on our 5th wedding anniversary in November.
Would I recommend this hotel, absolutely. Will I return, definitely.

Mark Reed

Room Tip: I stayed in room 107 which I couldn't fault
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Claimar1
plymouth
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Booked here for our anniversary weekend in lONDON, having booked for the house of commons trip it was close by. Modern, clean hotel. Very friendly staff who could not do enough for you. Front of house very welcoming indeed. Club lounge was very welcoming after a long exhausting day walking around the city. Plenty to offer in the club lounge too. Breakfast very good choice.
Beautiful clean modem room, towels and bedding first class. If i had to be really really picky i think in a hotel of this standard should have a full length mirror in the rooms. Women like to see what they look like before they leave the room to go to the theatre surely? Men too my husband adds!

Room Tip: Ask for one at the front as not the most exciting views from the back!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days in January in between a move from London to Sydney and found it quite nice, but with a few little points that were probably just down to the newness of the hotel and staff. The lobby is nice but isn't nearly as lovely as the actual rooms or the Club Lounge. The rooms are great. They're not big, but for London they are a good size and the bathroom will make you very happy indeed. The bed was incredibly comfortable in our Executive suite (an upgrade since I'm a Platinum Ambassador) and the closet space was ample. We had some difficulties with the television not coming on at all or taking an inordinately long time to "warm up".
The Club Lounge is very beautifully and thoughtfully designed with several casual seating areas that are divided off cleverly so that you can have a bit of privacy. The breakfast was nice and the little warm treats and choices in the evening were quite nice. However, all day long there's really nothing in between. This is only one of two Intercontinental Club lounges that I've been at that has done that and I'm not impressed. Plus, the staff working in the Club were less friendly and definitely not up to the standards that I've come to expect from Intercontinental. For instance, I wasn't feeling well in the afternoon before we were to depart for Sydney and I wanted some crackers or a piece of bread and all that the staff in the Club could do to "help" out was tell me that I'd need to order something from the restaurant as they didn't have anything at all available. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have found a cracker or two somewhere in the hotel. We were a bit surprised by how not friendly the Club staff was since all of the other hotel staff at reception and concierge were incredibly friendly and helpful. Maybe they just have the wrong people staffing the Club.
We had a long talk with the manager about the little issues that we had encountered and he assured us that he would take our input into consideration and try to remedy some of it immediately. I guess we'll see how well they've done at fixing up those items if we make a return trip. Of course, he also offered me some Priority Club points in light of some of the issues that we had during our stay and I'm still waiting on those to hit my account. Though we did enjoy his bag of treats that he gave to us as we were leaving the hotel for our very, very long flights from London to Sydney.
I would say that the location is quite good, depending on what you want to do while visiting London, plus transportation links are very nearby. And certainly the hotel is more pleasant than the older Intercontinental Park Lane (which is desperately in need of an update). I am sure that once all of the new hotel and staff issues are ironed out this will be a truly outstanding hotel and I do look forward to staying there again on our next trip to London in July. I would like to make it clear that despite the issues we had, we did find the hotel to be very nice and did have a nice stay and I would recommend it to anyone coming to London.

Room Tip: I think a higher room would be best since the street in front of the hotel can be quite busy and lou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear KMPeterson

Thank you for the review of your stay in January and I do hope you have settled into your new roles in Sydney. I can assure you that a number of 'opening' issues you encountered have subsided and you will see from other reviews on this forum are very positive about both our offering and team.

I am pleased to see that you will visit us again in July and ask that you contact me directly when you are ready to make a reservation and I will be pleased to look after your booking personally.

Kind Regards

Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We enjoyed a long weekend there last week,the location is excellent literally minutes away from Westminster Abbey,the Houses of Parliament,Big Ben and much more,across the street is the underground with connections to everywhere.The hotel is ultra modern with a well lit atrium and a bronze sculpture of a man climbing a ladder to nowhere,the staff are very welcoming and check in was prompt.As a Royal Ambassador member I had prepaid the room and was upgraded to a Studio Suite on the third floor,beautifully appointed with a king bed,couch desk and a swivel flat screen viewable from the couch or bed,the location facing the main street was at times a little noisey but not too bad,also through our bedroom felt a vey slight vibration till midnight due to the closeness of the underground.The club floor was delightful and we were served well by Linda a native New Yorker,we had afternoon tea and scones and stayed late for the canapes and cocktail hour,people dressed correctly and this is so important in a Capital city,its common sense but also polite to oblige.We also used the Club for breakfast which was excellent and plentiful,all the usuals,cold cuts home made breads fruits and of course eggs to order and more,I particularly enjoyed their flat black top mushrooms,delicious....................Not cheap by any standard of the imagination and I had enquired the cost to upgrade from the Studio to the usual Junior suite we are accustomed to getting and literally gasped to learn the next level was about an additional $650 a night,at these prices it is not for the faint of heart.Overall the experience was a good one and Once I save my pennies again I would be happy to return......................

Room Tip: Rooms on front ours was 343 was noisey and vibration from the underground was only minor there are p...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear talentpicker

Thank you for the excellent review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that Linda extended some fantastic service in Club InterContinental, I have spoken with her this morning and she is delighted to read your comments.

I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed your room and that our location in the hub of the Royal and Political heartland of Britain stood out, as you point out we are 2 minutes from Westminster Abbey but also we are a 10 minute walk across St James Park to Mayfair.

I do hope next time you visit London we can welcome you to Intercontinental London Westminster once again.

With Best Wishes

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

So 10 years of marriage was upon us and i decided to whisk my wife off to London for the night ,We went onto Lastminute.com and book one of their secret hotels and after paying Was told it was InterContinental Westmister .

So when we arrived we were greeted by a smiling doorman and and beautiful reception full of light and looked amazing ,We were upgraded to a King room which was just brilliant with its TV in the mirror and big bathroom and the room was spotless clean.

This truly is a 5 Star Hotel and we were treated as such but my wife was abit uneasy as we are a low income family due to me having a long term illness but the young gentleman at the desk put her at ease making us feel like we where royalty .

The hotel is in a perfect spot and lots of places to eat and drink and close to the underground and the main attractions .

Sum it up ,JUST A STUNNING HOTEL WITH TOP TOP STAFF

Time of stay April 26th 2013

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrAnnell
Dear MrAnnell

Thank you for the fantastic review of your most recent stay in Westminster, I am pleased to read that you felt treated like 'royalty' and our team looked after you so well, it is always nice to see that our guests have enjoyed their special occasions while staying with us.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel once again in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards