“Great location , nice room.”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #56 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Great setting by St James Park (in fact opposite the tube) and New Scotland Yard. Had booked on a free night voucher so only got a basic room but this was well equipped and comfortable, if a bit small.
Was kept waiting for my room. Arrived at 2.40pm and was told rather bluntly that check in was 3pm. I went back at 3.15 and it still wasn't ready , I was offered a complimentary drink but having sat and watched a dozen or more people checking in whilst waiting I couldn't help but feel this was because I was on an unpaid night (not withstanding the fact I stay at IHG hotel dozens of time a year).
As others have said this hotel has nowhere near the 5* feel of the Park Lane IC or the Waldorf but would recommend if a good rate was available , on location alone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Sean09

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay in Westminster and my sincere apologies if you weren't able to check in on arrival as your room was not ready, please be assured this had nothing to do with the fact that you were on a complimentary basis, all our guests are equally important no matter what the reason for their stay. I am sure the other guests checking in were in different room types to yourself however I understand how frustrating this must be.

I do hope we can welcome you to Westminster again in the future.

Scot Turner, Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,412)

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We enjoy the entire staying as overall perfect. The staffs are friendly and helpful. We feel warm when we saw their smile face and they are prepared the assist us as and when we need.
I stayed in studio suite, the in room amenities are luxury such as molton brown toiletteries and great Choice of beverage in minibar.
The breakfast in club lounge is great and the environment is good. We like the cozy ambiance with quiet place.
Overall good and I would happily to introduce the hotel to my friends

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear echo_csy

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay in Westminster and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and felt it was 'perfect'.

I do hope you will have the opportunity to stay once again in the near future and look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

A very unimpressive exterior, small pokey reception and indifferent staff did not create a good first impression. However, once I had been shown to my room, my views changed. I was only in an Executive room but I was more than happy. Superb bed, bathroom - enormous shower, great TV and plenty of hanging space. The attached Blue Boar bar was interesting but wine prices a bit steep. What was a huge disappointment was the gym. Well you could not call it a gym, more a small room with 5 pieces of equipment. It is better not to have one than try and advertise a facility which does not exist.
The location is great, particularly if you are a tourist. Right next to St James Park tube; walking distance to Buck Palace and Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey; and the shopping in Victoria St

Room Tip: Go for a Club room to take advantage of the free lounge.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear NapierAssociates

Thank you for the review of your most recent visit to Westminster and although you didn't like the exterior of the building I am pleased to see that you liked your room including our bathrooms. I am disappointed you did not feel the gym met your expectations, we are constantly looking at improving our product and hope to add additional equipment in the near future.

I do hope that future improvements in the gym will mean you choose to stay with us again in the future. When the opportunity to visit London arises please do contact me directly and I can make you aware of any additional gym equipment added since your previous visit.

With Kind Regards

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed on Tuesday 16th April 2013 on business arriving in the early hours of the morning by taxi. The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Westminster and is opposite an Underground station. The standard of the hotel is in keeping with the Intercontinental brand and is in good condition being open only a few months. The desk staff were pleasant and helpful, the key card did not cut properly on first try but reception did return to the room with me to ensure the second attempt worked.

The room itself was impressively decorated with quality tasteful interior and fittings mainly cream and black. The bed lined was comfortable with numerous cushions and choice of pillow. There is a large mirror with integrated television, desk, power curtains, Nespresso coffee machine, minibar, wardrobes, iron and board, umbrella, shoeshine, etc. The bathroom was spacious with quality lotions, bath, separate rain shower cubicle and toilet cubicle. Everything felt right, in place and of good standard as you would expect from this class of hotel. Expectations are high so disappointments were a lack of instructions for the coffee machine, general room information (for instance I never found the switch for the curtains!) and lack of any receptacle to fill the iron. Generally all very good though.

The breakfast in the morning was well presented with tasty, quality ingredients and fine tea.

The cost of this hotel will be the clincher for most people, stay at a good rate and you will not be disappointed. I would definitely stay here again for the right price! Although out of choice the Intercontinental Park Lane does have the edge!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Jeremy N

Thank you for the excellent review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed the room and breakfast. Thank you for the comments regarding the bedroom, as a new hotel we did not want to put a guest directory in the room too early with information that could change however by next week the rooms will have a point of information for our guests.

I do hope we can welcome you to Westminster again in the near future.

With Best Wishes

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel is two blocks away from Westminster abbey and its really easy to get around. Eventhough the staff did not pay any atention to us, except for Glenda that received us in an amazing way and was very nice to my daughter and me, the fact that it is located so well, makes it worth the while.
the food was not good at all, very expensive and not good, but there are many places very near where you can get a good breakfast, lunch or dinner!
i do recommend the hotel if you dont have expectations about how the staff will respond to your stay there.
i would stay there again with no doubt!
great location, easy to get to and from there! Clean and worth the price payed.

Room Tip: our room was right next to the elevator on the second floor, and had exactly what we needed. we did...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Cindy N

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster and I am pleased to read that Glenda made your daughter feel so welcome. I apologise if the food did not meet your expectations, as you will see from other reviews this is uncommon for us to receive such feedback however it is nice to see that you would return to us again in the future.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

cannot fault the place, very clean, very good service and 5 star room. Pay the extra and you wont regret it. Staff made you feet like a lottery winner. The room was spacious and very modern with the best hotel tv ive ever watched, expense wasnt spared when kitting this place out

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear davethezip

Thank you for the excellent review of your most recent stay in Westminster and I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and that the team here stood out making you feel like a 'lottery winner'.

I do hope it won't be too long before you are back to experience the same again.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for one night on Priority Club points as we came down to see the London Marathon. We expected an excellent experience given the Tripadvisor reviews but were totally blown away by the hotel and it's staff. Check in was excellent and nothing seemed too much trouble even being escourted to the lift!

We were upgraded to a Club King room which was huge (biggest TV ever) and very luxurious.

We had pre-dinner drinks which were excellent and breakfast that was superb.

The overall design of the hotel is very interesting and unusual with some fantastic touches and so quiet for central London. St James tube is next door but again you would never have known it.

Overall we were very impressed and will return again as a special treat. Thank you Intercontinental for proving that it is possible to establish a new hotel of the highest quality and design.

Room Tip: Try for an internal facing room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Alan&Sylvia

Thank you for your fantastic review of your stay over Marathon weekend here in Westminster, I am delighted to read that as one of our loyal members we were able to 'blow you away!' and that our team stood out during your time with us.

As you point out in your post we are ideally located to St James Park tube station and a stones throw from Westminster Abbey, St James Park and Buckingham Palace, indeed the marathon passed a street away, 800m from the finishing line. Next time you visit you should try one of our running maps created by Paula Radcliffe, London at its finest all within 5.1km of the hotel!

I am pleased to see that you intend to return and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.