“Splendid hotel and surprisingly family friendly”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #52 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here as a family for one night (two adult, two children). The hotel doesn't have family rooms so we had to reserve two rooms - expensive, but worth it. The rooms are lovely (although not large) with everything you need and the TV behind the mirror! Staff were really friendly and helpful without being pushy. We had fruit and REAL milk delivered to the room shortly after arrival - little touches which make all the difference.

Bathroom was lovely with separate bath and shower, although I did have to hunt the hairdryer.

The bar is comfy and welcoming and the service is great. We ate in the Blue Boar restaurant with our children. They were brought soldier-shaped cookie dough to decorate which was taken away and baked for their pudding. The waitress who served us was superb! Knowledgeable about the menu and nothing was too much trouble. They also delivered my pudding to our room when I had to leave early with one of the children.

One of my children, not sure why not both, got a cuddly lion in the room, and we were all made to feel very welcome.

My only gripe (which isn't only limited to this hotel) is the cost of breakfast - upto £30 per head - so we found a local cafe instead.

All in all a lovely hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank queribus
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Queribus

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay with us and I am delighted to read you enjoyed your visit to Westminster, I hope your children enjoyed decorating the shortbread biscuit and it is great to see that you enjoyed your time in Blue Boar.

I note your comments about breakfast and it is disappointing you had to leave the hotel, from this week we are launching a new breakfast option in Blue Boar Bar which offers lighter breakfast items with hot drinks as a cheaper alternative to the a la carte breakfast in the restaurant and Lounge.

I do hope on your next visit to London you will have the opportunity to visit us once again.

There are newer reviews for Conrad London St. James

Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Hotel Intercontinental was absolutely stellar. The staff puts in the maximum effort to please, the property is well kept, and the location is great. I have nothing but sweet memories of our trip to London and this property. The rooms are modern, although not spacious, they are extremely comfortable. The staff were the stars, knowledgeable, courteous, and customer focused.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheAirForce

Dear TheAirForce

Thank you for your five star review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us in Westminster. It is always nice to read that our team make a difference to our guests stay and it is fantastic to see that you regarded them as the 'stars' of your visit.

I do hope we can welcome you to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Situated next to St. James Park Tube station and a 10 min walk from Westminster Abbey gives the hotel a very central location.
The hotel is newly refurbished and has a very high standard.
The staff were very acommodating and had good answers on all our queries.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Framcke
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Framcke

Thank you for your five star review of your stay with us in Westminster and I am delighted the team here stood our during your visit. As you point out the hotel has an ideal location adjacent to St James Park tube station to make getting round town a little easier and sits on the door step of the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.

I do hope we can welcome you to Westminster once again in the near future.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is a great new hotel in the heart of SW1, almost on top of the St James Park tube station so very well connected.

The hotel looks and feels new, the staff are enthusiastic and friendly, it's hard really to find anything to dislike.

The bar has a good atmosphere and is open suitably late for residents.

My only bugbear was with the traditional Achille's heal of five star hotels, that is the breakfast.

On my first morning the restaurant was full for breakfast and the staff were panicing themselves to near standstill, wasting time when they could have been taking orders explaining that they were too busy to take orders. So there is some work still required on that side, the staff didn't appear to be used to being busy or know how best to deal with this. I had to explain three times to the waiter that i was in a hurry and wanted whatever could be prepared the quickest. I didn't quite get a Manuel style "Que?" but it was close. In fairness after the third time of explaining the waiter eventually got the point and recommended the omelette which was served promptly.

Otherwise no complaints at all, got a late checkout on request and on departure there was someone at the door for my bags almost before I'd put the phone down.

Best bit of all was the price, got my room for two nights as a Secret Hotel on LastMinute.com - it was fantastic value compared to what else was available at short notice in central London.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank McGlashan

Dear McGlashan

Thank you for your review of your time with us in Westminster and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed Blue Boar Bar however it is disappointing you experienced some issues at Breakfast, this is not indicative of our usual standards and please be assured we will be sharing your feedback with our Breakfast Manager to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I do hope on your next visit to London you will take the opportunity to visit us once again.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was visiting this hotel to meet someone and am very impressed. We had drinks in the pub, part of the hotel that is open to the public, called the Blue Boar. The staff were very friendly, the prices excellent for a hotel and the ribs were second to done - try them! The bar is very roomy with a nice fire area. Oh and the loos are great too!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear DaveHud

Thank you for your review of Blue Boar Bar and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us, as you point out one of our best sellers are our Ribs, using our Blue Boar Rub by our Executive Chef, Jon Ingram and cooked in the smoker for nearly 14 hours they are so succulent and tender - Mouthwatering!

I hope it won't be too long before you have the opportunity to visit us again.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for for Valentines night this year. Location was perfect for sights of Westminster and Buckingham Palace. Service was excellent all round from reception, to conceirge, bar staff and housekeeping. Hotel provided nice extras in room as valetines night. Room was spacious and well equiped with everything needed. Only negative about room was no full length mirror or any mirror near pug socket for drying hair.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul106
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Paul106

Thank you for your wonderful review and it is nice to read that you enjoyed your best stay in London here in Westminster. I am delighted to see that our team in particular Front Office, Concierge and Housekeeping made your Valentines night special.

I do hope we can welcome you once again.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Spent a quick one night here for business. I booked a classic room on a third party site that incorrectly charged me in USD but honored the rate (USD280). Look for these arbitrage opportunities.

Was upgraded upon arrival to a superior room as I am platinum. Offered late checkout of 2pm but 4pm was not guaranteed because I am not an ambassador. A slight maze of hallways to get to my second floor room. Inner view, was very quiet. Superior room includes a bed chair desk and a nice bathroom. Full tub and separate shower were included. Shoe kit and ironing board is available. See pictures.

I just came from wintry weather and my dress shoes were dirty. It was after 2200 and I asked if I could still have my shoes cleaned for tomorrow morning. Someone came to pick them and they were delivered to me within 20 minutes. Well done here.

Ate traditional fish and chips in the bar lounge. Very good. I originally sat in the restaurant but it seemed too "stuffy". Went for the lounge instead, good choice.

Hotel is situated across the street from the underground. From Heathrow take the HEX to Paddington. Get on the Circle Line to St. James's Park. Check-in.

WIFI is extremely slow. It was unusable for business. Be prepared to pay extra - one hiccup with this hotel. This is the only reason I would not stay here again. If I was here for a longer period and needed to work I would consider another hotel.

Overall, very pleased with the helpful staff and room.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank cfo314

Dear cfo134

Thank you for an excellent review of your stay with us in Westminster, as one of our highest loyalty members it is always nice to see such positive feedback and that in particular you enjoyed our very British fish and chips.

I am sorry to hear you experienced problems with the speed of the WI-FI, since opening in November 2012 we have had positive feedback regarding our complimentary WI-FI which will give you speeds of up to 512k in your room, the only time you would need to pay is for our super fast connection which offers a speed of 50Mbps.

It is disappointing that you would choose another hotel on your next visit because of this so please do contact me directly in this instance and I will be only too happy to discuss how we can overcome this to welcome you once again.

With Best Wishes