“Great but expensive food!”
Review of Koya - CLOSED

Koya
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

We nipped in for lunch. Impressive menu but one of the more expensive in the area. Small plates work out around £6. Tasty but very small. Noodles around £12, tasty and filling. Beers worked out at 420 for half pint. Recommend but don't expect change from £20 each.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I love Japanese food, and Koya was top of our lunchtime hitlist for a long time. Arrived at 1215 and easily got a seat although by 1230 the place was packed. We ordered 3 dishes, 1 tea and 1 coke. The mixed tempura was £13 and largely vegetable based, 2 small fillets of white fish were lurking around in there - I would've expected more seafood for the price but the tempura was beautifully cooked. We ordered beef noodles and mushroom and walnut noodles. I'm sad to say these were almost completely tasteless. The beef was like stewing steak that'd fallen apart in the water, sorry, broth. Perhaps it's supposed to be like that, I don't know. The bill came to £45 including service. Now I know it's soho, and nothing is
cheap but I left with the overriding sense that I'd been taken for a ride! It's just not for me I'm afraid.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

They serve good and authentic Udon menus in the middle of Soho.
Udon has a smooth and chewy texture, which is the name of the game for Udon.
We had warm Prawn Tempura Udon, cold Zaru Udon, vegetable + sprat Tempura e.t.c..
The soup of Udon is piping hot, which is very important but often lukewarm at many Japanese eateries in London(because it is too hot for inexperienced diners).
We went in a bit after 17:30, so the service was very attentive and prompt, but only an hour later, the restaurant became full and staff were running around, so the service can be sporadic and slower, as some reviewers mentioned. We did not have any issues in this respect because we came in earlier. Pricewise, it's O.K., though 12.5% service charge will be added without any particular service but this is a common practice in London restaurants anyway.
The beauty of this restaurant is the fact that you can enjoy a real Udon in London, without a trip to Japan.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We really enjoyed our bowls of hot udon today: one with seaweed and another with mushroom. We also had sides of umeboshi (pickled plums) and a kohlrabi with rhubarb salad which were equally good and complimentary to our mains. Everything was washed down with Japanese tea for two. The udon at Koya is especially good - the waitress confirmed they're made fresh on site every day and I think that's reflected in the quality of the dishes coming out of the kitchen.

We had to wait around 5 minutes to get a table but the waitresses were friendly and the food was quick to arrive after we ordered. For me the downside to Koya are a lack of veggie options, including some dishes which look like they could be veggie but aren't (eg vegetable tempura). The menu is clearly marked in this respect so it's easy to choose the veggie option but a bigger selection would encourage vegetarians to return more often to Koya. It's also a bit pricey but for the occasional treat it's definitely worth a visit. Don't expect a cosy restaurant: its all wooden tables, chairs and benches and you may share a table with other customers. Overall I think Koya makes a great, occasional lunch option.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

hands-down one of the best places to get Japanese noodle-soup in London. But the unparalleled queue coupled with the occasional temperamental staff can leave a sour taste in your mouth.

My advice is to go at an awkward time e.g. a late (21.00/22.00) dinner on a tuesday. The waiters are friendly when not too busy! Food wise, try the Kinoko udon: mushrooms and walnut miso... mmm... so good it makes me SWOON.