“Basic room for luxury price!”

Travelodge London Central Bank
Ranked #495 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 16, 2014

For the proce I paid I would get a same basic room in the area with breakfast and free wi-fi. These should be included in a £98 room! Did not matter what I was asking for, the only answer I always get was I have to pay extra for that. This is ok in a matter of a £45 room but not for the price I paid in Travelodge.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Maria F
There are newer reviews for Travelodge London Central Bank

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The ensuite room was spotlessly clean & freshly decorated, although I would have liked a couple more shelves or coat hangers. Situated down a lane there was no traffic noise. Excellent location for sightseeing - just round the corner from The Gherkin, handy for the Underground. No onsite restaurant but plenty of reasonably priced cafes & bars nearby for meals & free WiFi

1  Thank Di G
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We have stayed here many times, due to it's great location and value for money. Located opposite to Cannon Street station, but is tucked away enough so that you don't hear the hustle and bustle. There's a few local shops around you which is quite helpful, but be warned all shops are shut on Sunday's. The room's are different sizes, stayed in both a large and a small room, both as good as each other! Fresh towels every day if needed. Good TV service, accompanied by tea and coffee facilities. We have also tried the breakfast package, helpful if you're in a rush and on the go, but nothing special. Really comfy double beds, great blackout curtains and good warmth level from the radiator. Will be visiting again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sam_Lizzie
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Easy stay during Xmas time in family, the hotel was very quiet and clean with really comfortable beds. Easy as well to reach main attractions in London because close to 2 tube stations and many bus stops.I probably return there next time time I'm in London.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anne F
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here on a 4 day trip for 2 sightseeing around London from Monday to Thursday, we had read previous reviews about it's location and the lack of noise which were both paramount in our decision. Having never stayed in a Travelodge before I was slightly concerned about what to expect, whether the room would be clean, would we be able to sleep comfortably etc. It has surprised me to say we were so happy with every aspect of this hotel from start to finish and really could not fault what was on offer for the price you pay. The service at the front end was so friendly, welcoming and very accommodating with our request for a top floor room(there is a lift too), it seemed nothing was too much trouble. We had a double room and upon entering from the cold we were greeted with a toasty room from the heating that had been turned on to greet us - there is no chance of being cold here! There are only a few hangers if you need to hang clothes and space under the bed to shove a bag or small suitcase out of the way. Also there's a chair and desk, a kettle and complimentary tea/coffee/milk (usual stuff). As I was expecting a no-frills experience you can imagine my surprise to find a tv in the room with a remote too, all in working order, good signal/picture. The bathroom was excellent, it was completely spotless and there was room to lay out toiletries above the sink. The shower head I would have liked to have been removable but it is not, however the water flow is quite powerful and it is a decent shower. I must also mention how impressed I was with the selection of lighting options in the room, from the standard ceiling lights, the spotlights and the nightlight at the head of the bed allowing you to create the perfect ambience! The bed was very comfortable and had a good thick duvet that kept us warm, we were each provided with 2 very thick pillows, I usually sleep with 2 anyway but found that 1 of these was sufficient. There's quite a few plug sockets dotted about the room, more than enough to charge a couple of phones plus camera. Our sleep was excellent there was hardly any noise whatsoever, and the best nights sleep we've had in a city where it is incredibly hard to get away from noise.

The hotel is located on a small side road (st swithins lane) with no real traffic, you'll find it's the road opposite the Boots Pharmacy down Cannon St. About halfway down Swithin's Lane on the right you will see the travelodge sign and enter through the gates on your right which seems to be co-occupied with the restaurant there, and the hotel will be on the left.
If you step out of the hotel at rush hour you can be sure to be met with swarms of 'suits', after working hours the street seems to go quiet. I would say this hotel is almost halfway in between Cannon st and Bank underground stations which gives you excellent access to many underground lines. Bus stops are right along Cannon St to many places, everything is so accessible even without public transport! St Paul's Cathedral (10mins away) and The Monument (5mins away) are just off Cannon St, The Thames and London Bridge are less than a 10 minute walk away, with Tower Bridge only a 20 minute walk away. I highly recommend an evening walk along The Thames when it's dark and the city is lit up, it is quite special!

What is offered here is more than basic and pretty much everything you could need, and for the price in such a location is outstanding. Next time in London I won't even bother looking anywhere else! Spotlessly clean, excellent location, great staff, good value, slept like a log!

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room or to be on the top floor, staff will accommodate you where possible!
2  Thank SareBear87
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The staff on reception were v helpful and friendly and always willing to help. The hotel was quiet on the day we arrived (Mon Jan 6th); and even though later in the week we saw a few more guests, we never heard any of them. The location of the hotel was superb: if you had your Oyster card ready you could be on a circle line tube train (Cannon St Station) within 5 mins of leaving your room within the 4th floor!! And Bank station (Central Line) was another 1 min further in opp direction. And the v frequent no 15 Bus went from just outside n across road.
Back to our room. It was spotlessly clean; and comfy; and oddly enough the hotel is so quiet that the only time we heard anything of note was not when thousands of people went by in the morning below us, but when there was no one out there apart from a road cleaning mini van!
My g/f and I would not hesitate to stay here again.
Thanks to all the staff there who made our great value stay so easy and relaxing.

2  Thank southernboy123
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I visited the Mermaid Theatre on the 20.12.13. The hotel was very conveniently placed for this. It was just as we expected clean, tidy and cheap. We would certainly use Travelodge again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple