“Excellent food, fantastic service”
Review of Olive Tree Tavern - CLOSED

Olive Tree Tavern
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, fantastic service”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The food was superb, the only thing I could complain about was the quantity, too much! With the free home made pitta bread and dips to start with and generous portions of everything else we had to take half the main course home in a doggy bag. I'm looking forward to having it for lunch tomorrow.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Ben_K81

Isle of Thanet, United Kingdom
“So lovely...”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Had lunch here last Saturday en route to a gig at the Emirates. This place never ceases to please (fourth visit). The food is lovely. The pitta is wonderful for a start. Could eat that all day long! I had kleftiko, it was beautiful and such a large portion! My companion had the stifado. It was his first attempt at Greek food, he loved it. The Greek lady who runs it was really friendly and I can't fault the place. TRY it!
(there was even a slight mix-up with our order and it was rectified immediately with a huge apology, not that it mattered to us)

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Dee12321
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly, tasty, excellent value”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I'd echo the majority of the other reviews.
When we moved the area in 2008, the previous owners left a list of local tips, one of which was to definitely try the Olive Tree, and not be deceived by it's slightly shabby appearance (not horrible, just not fancy looking).
Took us 3yrs to do it, but very glad we did; have been back a dozen times since and often bring friends when they're visiting.

Portions are very generous, I don't think we've ever not taken some home (to be fair, this is also because we always over-order and fill up on starters).
Service is friendly and relaxed, to the point where my wife is prepared to lower her usual requirements and not complain when they occasionally deliver a bonus/random starter which we didn't order.
Favourite exchange on most recent visit: "red wine please". "[nods, writes] white wine".

Visited April 2013
1 Thank yodaniel
London
“Homemade food and decor”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I'm afraid I can't repeat the praise in the other reviews on Trip Advisor. Perhaps we ordered badly. We did order off the set menu.

As everyone says, the pitta bread is lovely. Unfortunately my starter was tzatziki. That's right the dip! That's what I got for a starter on the fixed price menu. My partner got two pieces of grilled halloumi.

He enjoyed his main course of fish, I didn't really like my main of spinach and cheese pie (served with chips - how Greek!). Dessert was chocolate cake from a shop.

So as I said maybe we ordered badly and shouldn't have gone for the fixed price menu. But what isn't going to improve is the decor and atmosphere. Chairs and tables are from a conference centre and the whole place is completely lacking in charm. It feels like it's stuck in a timewarp.

So I might give the food another go - it clearly was all home made (with the exception of the dessert) but the atmosphere means I'm unlikely to hurry back.

• Visited April 2013
“An amazing local family-run Greek taverna with delicious food - excellent value for money!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Went there for the first time today after several recommendations from friends. Absolutely delicious! We went for the £10.90 meal deal (3 courses) and the house wine and the food came out homemade and fresh which was completely unexpected for such great value. The pitta bread which accompanied the starters was amazing - tasted straight from the oven. I had the pork souvlaki for main which was once again fresh and tender and my friend had the spinach and feta pie which was wonderfully flavoursome with lovely flakey filo pastry. For dessert we went for the Greek yoghurt with lemon curd and digestive biscuit which was like a delicious light cheesecake. All in all a lovely experience with friendly staff and fantastic food for an excellent price. Will definitely be going back!

• Visited April 2013