“A gem of a restuarant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Hertford, United Kingdom
“A gem of a restuarant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

An excellent evening. This was the first of I'm certain many visits to this charming restaurant. We were personally welcomed by Yialta, the owner and shown to our seats. Great care was taken to describe the range of Greek food available, but we opted for the Full Meze. We were not disappointed.

We have eaten in several Greek restaurants before and enjoyed Mezes. Howevere this one was different. It was obvious the starters were home made - no mass produced fare like we have had elsewhere. The pitta bread is quite simply amazing - forget the heated up stuff you can buy from Tescos - this was light, fluffy and very, very freshly baked. Perhaps not quite the same quantity of starters as in other Greek Mezes, but the quality more than makes up for it. (Don't panic you will still need a doggy bag by the end!) Aside the pitta bread, other highlights included the taramasalata and the feta cheese & chilli dip..... mmmm!

After that there was various meaty bits - ham, meatballs, sausage, chicken livers and a few other bits, such as haloumi & mushrooms in red wine.

Then we moved onto a selection of fish - mussels, white bait, calamari and a decent sized sea bream. The calamari was amazing. Again none of the factory stuff. This was whole squid which had been cut up and coated in a delicious and light batter - the best I've ever tasted and I love my calamari! The sea bream was beautifully cooked. (Yialta's husband made a point of telling us he he took a lot of interest and pride in sourcing the fish - I wouldn't disagree with him.
Finally, we had a decent selection of cooked meats - lamb chops, sausage, and kebab together with a delicious Greek salad.

This was all accompanied by a decent wine at a fair price.

The price was very reasonable given the quantity and more importantly quality of the food.
We left very happy and will be back.

I mentioned the personal touch on our arrival. It extended to the next day, Yialta rang me to apologise for not having said good-bye. in fairness she had been cooking for a party of 27 so was a bit busy!

She was keen to point out there was more to her restaurant than the Meze. Looking at other diners and what they had, I would agree - but that will be for our return visit.

Anything negative - if the place was empty, I think it could be a bit soulless as the decor and layout is uninspiring. But perhaps Yialta lets the high standard of her cuisine speak for itself.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank jemck9

Stockholm, Sweden
“A firm family favourite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Unless it's an Arsenal match day this place always seems far quieter than it should be. It's now been around for a few years and the hospitable owner produces a ranges of tasty, traditional dishes. Don't be afraid to ask for a doggy bag as I don't think that we've ever left without one - the portions are always very generous.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank blackeberg
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Magical”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Without a doubt the best greek food I've ever tasted. Been there several times now and each time the food has been nothing short of incredible. Would recommend to anyone.

1 Thank JamieTraynor
London
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Great homely food which is fresh and tasty, excellent value for money. A real shame it is not busier - go on try it!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Mo101London
London, United Kingdom
“Criminally cheap for such delicious, homemade Greek cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I stumbled upon this place by accident... We'd booked a table in a restaurant on Blackstock road, but didn't realise how far down it was walking from Finsbury Park station. By the time we were half way to the booked place, we were too hungry and irritable to continue walking and plumped for the closest restaurant at the time - which just happened to be Olive Tree Tavern. After an extremely brief look at the special offer on the board outside (a dirt cheap £10 for 3 courses won us over instantly) we sauntered right in.

-The Good-
Staff were instantly accommodating; you could tell this was a family run establishment as the typical Greek chubby granny wearing black - reminiscent of the ones that you meet in Greece - was talking to all the customers individually as if they were old friends. The young waitress, another family member, was extremely chatty and familiar... overall it felt as if I was back in Greece dining at a boyfriend's family home.
The food itself we expected to be slap-dash and made with poor ingredients, which is common whenever one sees a set menu for so cheap. Not so!
The food tasted fresh, authentic and was well seasoned, rivalling some of the meals I've eaten in Greece. surprisingly, the house wine was lovely and sweet, perfectly drinkable.
We were so stuffed by the end we couldn't move. All that for a tenner?!? Unbelievable.

-The Bad-
The only tiny criticism that I have is that the place was pretty empty. The punters seemed to be regulars that have discovered how cheap and delicious the food is. Come on people, you need to get your hungry bellies down to this place!!!

2 Thank bittersw33t