“A fabulous introduction to Dim Sum”

Angela Malik Cooking School
Ranked #27 of 159 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Have you ever tried to recreate Asian-inspired dishes at home and felt like something was missing?Join us at the Angela Malik Cook School and learn what that secret ingredient is. We offer high quality hands-on courses, introducing the 5 Taste Sensations, improving your culinary skills and changing the way you cook for life.Our classes are perfect for individuals, private groups, special occasions or tailor-made team building experiences that are both rewarding and memorable.
Witney, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A fabulous introduction to Dim Sum”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My sister and I love Dim Sum and have tried to cook it before and failed dismally so I treated my sister to this as a special birthday present and we both went. We had a fabulous afternoon - the kitchen was small but well organised and well prepared. Angela kept a pacey and interesting patter going throughout the afternoon and was always on hand if you got stuck!

We learnt a lot about the 5 key flavours which helped our overall approach to cooking and helped us understand where we were going wrong previously ! We made prawn wontons to go in a prepared chicken broth which we completed - then we ate ! Delicious ! Then we made pork and waterchestnut steamed dumplings and then ate them (my favourite !) then we made pot stickers which were quite tricky with a frying and then poaching technique but I would def make them again, as I would the other 2. It was a friendly atmosphere - you could have drinks throughout and were encouraged to taste and apply the knowledge. There was a good selection of ingredients you could buy and the best selection of yummy cakes to buy that I have seen in a long time ! The lemon drizzle was delicious but a little pricey for the size !

I would def recommend it and would def try another course even though I had to travel from Oxford.

It makes a great present and because of the atmosphere I wouldn't mind going on my own or with a friend.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank shelxx

South West
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great group cookery”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Angela led this session, which was both informative and well structure. A good mixture of positive instruction, demonstration and group interaction. She made the sesssion, fun, competative (between the teams and tables) and concentrated on ensuring we all were progressing at a similar pace. Our group did the Thai course, which has taught us some excellent and transferable skills, which could be easily re-applicable at home, from slicing widths of meat, to timings etc. All in all an excellent and inclusive group activity, I would thoroughly reccomend both the desination and the teacher. Well done Angela.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank LordBristol
Rickmansworth
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Save yourself a fortune on Indian Takeaways”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was bought this course as a 40th birthday present and attended with my friend @gugenheim1. I was a little sceptical to be honest as I had a feeling that there was some special magic to Indian cooking which was only possessed by people originally hailing from the sub-continent.

However - it turns out that I was wrong. Angela was able to show us how to knock up a "Perfect Chicken Curry", which was as good as, if not better, than 99.9% of the restaurants I have visited (the exception being Sahib's - see other reviews - which I would see as different cuisine).

We are both relatively inexperienced cooks, but the technique was simple enough for even us to understand.

The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. I have never attended a cookery course, but there was nothing intimidating about it. We were in a class of 8, including a deaf woman who brought along her sign-language interpreter. Apropos of nothing, the sign language for the word "orgasm" was quite amusing (we were discussing endorphins and umami).

I would definitely recommend this course to people who love Indian food and want to gain a foundation in Indian cooking.

Most people ate their creations straight after the course. We had to dash off, so I took it home and ate it "takeaway style" that evening with the other half. Not sure that I believed I had cooked it, let alone her. I have cooked it again this weekend and I am planning to showcase it with my brother and sister-in-law next weekend.

Excellent course. I am sure I will be returning in the future. It has given me the confidence to start dabbling in Indian cooking and will hopefully mean that I can move to the country in the near future without feeling worried and anxious about the potential lack of a good, local, Indian restaurant/takeaway.

Thanks very much, Angela. Best of luck with your plans to roll out the school to a number of new locations.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank JuniorEgg
London, UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Highly professional and informative 2 hour courses”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was my first time on a cookery course (chicken curry), and I came away more impressed than I had anticipated. Angela is a personable, confident and charismatic chef/tutor, and put all 8 of us at ease early on. After 10-20 minutes of basics, we learnt through the process of making our own curry, in pairs. Angela was extremely hands on and engaged, and her assistant Felix helped everything run very smoothly. I came away with a much better understanding of both the holistics of cooking (balancing different tastes, arranging a thali), and the minutiae of different techniques (frying onions, rice, spices, etc). We were not made to rush our meal which we enjoyed at the end, with a glass of wine. The course is sociable and convivial, and set at the back of a lovely, well-presented cafe. And its right next to the station (Acton Central)! Although I wouldn't say the course is cheap, you certainly get what you pay for.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank moonman1989
Halifax, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good course”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Went on 2 hour course for cooking Thai green curry. Excellent tuition. Enjoyable and informative. Fantastic recipe and lots of useful tips on ingredients etc.

Visited April 2013