“A nice surprise - or why sometimes you shouldn't take reviews too seriously”

Paddington Apartments
Ranked #306 of 843 Specialty Lodging in London
Coimbra, Portugal
“A nice surprise - or why sometimes you shouldn't take reviews too seriously”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The reviews to Paddington Apartments here in TripAdvisor were so bad that I told my parents not to book this hotel, but due to a number of reason$ we eventually chose it. I had very low expectations - at a certain point, I even thought about bringing a sleeping bag! - but in fact I had a pleasant surprise.

The check-in is made at 55 Inverness Terrace, near Bayswater Station. They'll photocopy your passaport/ID card and your credit car for "security reasons", which is somehow unusual...
The hotel provides a free car transportation to Talbot Square.

The apartment itself was quite nice and seemed to have been recently redecorated. It looked just like the professional photos and it was clean. Everything, from the furniture to the knives, was IKEA. Both the bed and the sofa-bed were comfortable. The window curtains don't prevent the sun from entering to the apartment in the earling mornings, so if you're a light sleeper bring a blindfold. The kitchen was well equipped (including a microwave), and the apartment had a fan and, for the winter, a heater. We didn't heard noises from other apartments or from a street, which is quite unusual in a hotel... Of course that you could see the hotel wasn't brand new, but that's completely normal.The apartment was a bit small, yet it served its purposes.They change towels every three days and do a full clean every seven days.

The apartment is located in a culs-de-sac close to the Paddington underground/rail station in the "London zone 1", in a quiet neighborhood full of hotels.
Unfortunately we couldn't find a good supermarket near - there's a 24 hours open Tesco Express but we found it more expensive than the others Tescos - so we bought things in Bayswater (one metro station away), or during the day in other areas of London.

Our flat was in the fourth floor. The building had a lift (which was a bit "shaky" and "weird") but on the second day it broke, and when we left the apartments (three days later), it still wasn't fixed. A big thumbs down to that...

As the apartment is relatively far away from the reception, you don't need to do the traditional check out. All you have to do is leave your keys at the table before 11 AM, let the door lock behind you and go away. Still, as our flight was much later and we needed someone to watch out over our luggage (yes, they do save your luggage for the day!), we did the check out at Inverness Terrace. (We arrived there at 11:30, the woman at the reception shouted "Check out?! You're really late!", I argued that we had to make the trip between Tablot Square and Inverness Square and she shushed.)

All in all, I think Paddington Apartments are a good, economical and advisable option for those who want to stay in central London. It isn't a luxury accommodation, but we don't pay a luxury price (at least for London's standards) either. And, yes, there are a lot of dreadful reviews here in TripAdvisor - I read them all myself - but my experience was nothing like that: our only true negative point was the broken lift...
Maybe I shouldn't trust TripAdvisor reviewers so much :P

PS: I apologize for any language mistakes, English isn't my first language.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank qwerta_ikm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed June 11, 2013

When we arrived at the apartment block at 9 Talbot Square, we rang the intercom to discover that we had to walk 15 minutes to reception to check in. When we checked our confirmation e-mail, this information was not under the 'Important Information' heading, rather it was hidden under the 'Cancellation Policy' heading. We spoke to two people in the reception via the intercom and also via the cleaning lady's phone. Both were extremely unhelpful, abrupt and rude. They sent a car to take us to the reception area. We dealt with a gentleman called Mohammed who also dealt with us in a poor manner. His female colleague (a blonde girl) was equally dismissive and rude.

While we were in reception, another gentleman came in who was also staying in Paddington Apartments. He too was complaining about the very poor service, which only served to verify our initial impressions. The only polite person we encountered on arrival was the cleaning lady.

Re the apartment itself: This was very clean and modern. However, the headboard on the bed was broken, the water pressure in the shower was terrible and there was a faint smell of sewerage in the room when the window was closed. However, the bed was comfortable and the amenities in the room were adequate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tiffany G

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have arrived yesterday and in mi first room there are fecal water in the sower plate and in the toilet, there are a lot of problems with maintenance. After some discussion they gave another room... It seems to be ok... Only until i went to bed... I started hearing some noises... And what was my surprise... A rat eating in the thrash can...

Of course i have filled a compliance form... DON'T COME TO THIS APARTMENTS!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank JavierBM
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have requested for late check out the night before ( as advised by the receptionist) at 2:30pm and the request was immediately accepted. The joy was surely unfounded.

We returned at 2:20pm and realized that no arrangements were made and access could not be gained. Repeated calls to the reception reassured that the cleaners were still there and there would not be a problem. Instead, the door was answered by travellers who were waiting for their companion to check in at the office miles apart. They were not the only ones that we have met during our 5 nights stay who were confused and irritated by the distance between the check in office and the actual rented property.

The climax of our outrage was reached. One of our neatly packed baggage - a brand new shopping bag with 6 Krispy Kreme in its original packing - the box, a bag of crisps for subsequent consumption on the train could not be located. We were furious. The 3 cleaning ladies s(who refused to reveal their names)still in the room displayed a non-caring attitude and denied all awareness of such a distinguishable paper bag. Repeated requests for help were unanswered.

We were outraged by such denials and aloofness. They turned their discussions in their own languages. They just claimed repeatedly that they have never encountered incidents such as ours- loss of property- during their numerous years of service in this apartment ( 10+ ?).

Our demands for help were finally reluctantly and brutally answered. They finally hinted that the bag has been thrown away as rubbish!! The empty bag was subsequently dramatically re- emerged and retrieved ( uncreased and don't know from where) after our full 10 minutes cries for help. Our demands for the location of the food inside the bag were revealed by our insistence to search the rubbish bags!! Could you Imagine??!! The folded discarded EMPTY box of Krispy Kreme was of course found independently among the loads of rubbish.

The truth to me was so obvious. Who would discard rubbish by taking the contents out of its bag? out of its box? Who would bother dissecting rubbish if it is believed to be so?

The nonexistence of early check in,the broken chair, the cracked floors in the toilet, the broken door of the mal- functioning washing machine, the lack of toilet papers , the practice of no cleaning of the apartment during our stay were nothing , the value of our loss is minimal , when compared to the employees working attitudes and ethnics,when compared to such a disgusting and unbelieveable end to our stay.

Room Tip: Must stay at the above street levels for quietness and security.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank CPKS
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My rating is between average and very good. The apartment was tidy and clean, newly renovated with a very well equipped kitchen and a ok double bed. I suppose we just had bad luck of getting the room in the basement with a prison-like feeling. In addition, you wish for quiet neighbors with leaf-thin walls and roofs. We didn’t have luck with that one either. No heating in the bathroom, which I suppose is quite common in the UK. The sofa which is described as a possible bed is not very comfortable. As described by others the key must be picked up at another address. The location is the best; close to Paddington station, Hyde park and walking distance to Oxford street.

Room Tip: Avoid basement apartments!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sethseth
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was a present for my girlfriend and we both like staying in apartment hotels and this was absolutely perfect for us. I booked this in October and I was a bit of a pain for the team at the hotel cause I was quite worried as it was a present... I emailed Bibi at the hotel quite a few times and she was always very helpful and sent me all the info I needed and more! (Thank you Bibi!)

The housekeeping standards were great and our room was serviced every day with clean towels and bed making, which was something that we weren't counting on, so that was a nice surprise!

I can definitely recommend this place if you fancy a nice little room with comfortable beds, big windows and good service. The only thing I can think of was that the bathroom and shower was a bit small, but good enough for one person to shower and do makeup etc.

Paddington is a lovely area to stay in and the hotel is close to restaurants, pubs, tube- bus and trainstations and a few small shops if you need milk etc.

Highly recommended!

/My and Sanna

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

It's a budget apartment. We booked three rooms quite early in 2012 & managed to get them at a cheaper rate than normal. Two rooms had washing machines that didn't work, the third just had a hole where it should have been.
One apartment was so hot, my son & his partner had to sleep with their window open...not ideal in winter, particularly as it rained all night!
Our son-in-law moved our daughter & their 9 month old to another hotel, because it was so noisy they had very little sleep.
The beds weren't overly comfy, showers soooo small, if you drop the soap, forget it!
Thin see through curtains made no difference at night, may as well have left them open.
Workman in & out at all hours & were still working in the apartment above ours until late into the night...we heard every footfall!
Even though the lift worked, I'm not sure how safe it was & very, very tiny & slow.
The only upside for the apartments, would be the staff, who did try to sort out any issues and, the area.
Remember, photos aren't always true... Do your research!

• Stayed January 2013