New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #153 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Old Colwyn, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

A very acceptable stay, just a short walk from Victoria Station.

Clean and large enough for a short stay, the staff were helpful. The web pictures reflect what we found.

The continental breakfast was great and included in our £131 for Saturday night so good value for the capital.

A slight minus, my wife found the lighting in the room not very good for doing her make up (I didn't find it an issue!!) but as it's from downlighters, it casts a strong shadow, even for me shaving. The hairdryer provided was an excellent salon quality one.

Sainsburys local around the corner along with restaurants, cafe's and take-aways

We'd use again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bigpeetee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Let's start with the positive. The location is very central, only a 5 min walk from Victoria Station from where you can travel anywhere you like. The reception is open 24/7 which allows for convenience when arriving late or leaving very early. I booked a Club room which is slightly bigger than the other rooms, however they're in the basement of the building where you get all of the noise from above. The building is, as most in London old and has a wooden structure. Needless to say you hear every step through the walls. So, bring your earplugs! Also, I only recommend these basement rooms if you're very flexible and fit as the staircase is very narrow and winds down low. Not sure how you can carry a bigger piece of luggage down there.

Now, the big disappointment was the service offered during my stay. The room was clean and made up every day but there were always shortcomings. For example, the tissue box on the table only had one tissue left when I arrived. 3 days later the empty box was still standing there without having been replaced. I scheduled a wake up call on my last day which never happened. Luckily, I set the alarm on my cell phone too, otherwise I would have missed my flight!

Overall, the hotel was advertised as a 4-star property on booking.com but I would say the reality is far from it. On the other hand, it's central London and unless you want to pay $500/night it's still a decent option.

I hope my review helps a bit in making your decision.

Cheers!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel is perfect, 5 minute walk from Victoria train and bus stations. The hotel is open 24 hours which is perfect if you're returning late from a show or night out.

As others have mentioned, this hotel tends to double book. I was called at 9pm the night before I was due to be staying to be told my room was unavailable due to two excuses, one being a double booking and the other that the room was just unavailable which I guess is because of problems in the room which I'll go onto now.

After refusing to be moved, I was told they would try to move other guests instead. I turned up at the hotel to be told that we were in the back basement room. As others have mentioned the wifi is terrible and just isn't worth bothering with. In addition, as we we're put at the back of the basement neither my partner or I had signal/3G so use of the internet wasn't possible. This may not be a problem for some people but for younger or business users this is essential.

As soon as I opened the door the card slot for the electricity was hanging out of the wall. I tried to it push back together and the staff member simply told me it's fine! I couldn't help but laugh. The room size was nice, and so was the decor and furniture. Very modern looking. The bed was extremely bouncy, which wasn't very comfortable to me however this is a personal preference. The bed sheets were ripped look like they had been chewed on by a rodent, which was slightly worrying however they were clean. I didn't notice this until the morning! The bedside light bulb was missing and one of the led reading lights seemed a bit dodgy as it flickered.The bathroom was lovely, the only downside was the bulb was out above the mirror so I couldn't see a thing.
The room has patio doors onto a small patio area which was good to let light in although the door was locked so any change of escape in the event of a fire at the back of the basement was unlikely! There was a generator, possibly for the hotels air conditioning, just outside those doors which made it hard to sleep. I'm sure in other rooms you wouldn't have this problem.
I only stayed there for a night, and didn't get back there until late so it wasn't a particularly bad experience, which I'm sure you'll find surprising after my list of negatives. Don't get me wrong the hotel could be lovely if a few of these tatty bits were refurbished.

Breakfast was okay, nothing special just your standard continental breakfast. Only downside was the yogurt my partner picked up was mouldy!

I wouldn't choose to stay here again which isn't surprising. On a whole the hotel isn't the worst in the world and it's location is it's biggest positive. If the wifi, dodgy electrics, bulbs and bed sheets are sorted I'm sure it would make this hotel the perfect place to stay in central London. For the price I didn't expect anything special but the lack of basic standards was a let down.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I stayed here for one night, the location is great for Victoria and the surrounding areas and the price was good, however, the walls / floors are not well sound proofed and there was continual talking from the room above. Bathroom door did not fit properly and the plug sockets were hanging out of the wall.
Breakfast was good and the staff pleasant.
Average experience and will not be returning in a hurry.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

This hotel perfectly fulfilled our needs for 3 days sightseeing in the capital. It's location is extremely close to Victoria station around 5 minutes walk and around 10 minutes walk to Buckingham Palace. We didn't pay a premium London price and we didn't get a premium London hotel, the rooms are very small but comfortable and the bathroom modern. The breakfast is a self serve style with juice, cereal, pastries, toast and yogurts which was perfect for us to line our stomachs for days out.
The hotel let itself down with little points that could be easily rectified, tea/coffee facilities should have been fully replenished daily rather than just bits added. The bathroom had the main light out so shaving/applying make up was nearly impossible with so little light, it was very easy for a cleaner or manager to see the light was out. Our first interaction with reception was to be told the room wasn't ready, which was fair as we were 30 mins early but the manner we were spoken too would have made you think we tried to check in at 9am! My last gripe is the wifi, it barely worked which didn't overly affect us as we were on a relaxing trip but if people needed it for business they would have been frustrated.
Overall I feel I got what I paid for, I've paid less in cities and had better and certainly paid more and had worse!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Good little hotel for business stays. Room and bathroom both refurbished. Breakfast was plain and simple (cereals, toast and drinks) but that's all I wanted and the breakfast room was light and airy. Location is great - only 5 mins walk from Victoria station yet in a quiet Belgravia street, with a good wine bar opposite the hotel and a gastropub (Thomas Cubitt) immediately round the corner. Only drawback I noticed was the very intermittent wifi signal. I would stay again - which is more than can be said for a lot of other places in London in this price range.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business