“Very comfortable and centrally located place”

Nell Gwynn House Apartments
Ranked #80 of 824 Specialty Lodging in London
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Very comfortable and centrally located place”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stayed there for about 9 nights.

NGHA is indeed very centrally located:
A few minutes walk from King's Cross
About 15 min walk from Harrods
About 20 min walk from the Sloane Avenue station

Check in was very easy and the reception staff very helpful.

The room, although wore out a bit and basic was clean and spacious which is very important to me.

Sainsburry was right across the street so that was a plus.

We were lucky to stay here as we got both, reasonable accomodation in expensive London and very centrally located.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I travel to london for extended stays frequently and have stayed at NGH Apartments about a half dozen times.

The location is fantastic, near King's Road and a short walk to Harrods. The staff are nice and there are plenty of food options including a market directly across the street.

The flats are average, a little in need of upkeep and each has there own issues. For example, some the windows dont close and the street noise can be harsh, others have appliances that dont work. The biggest isse i had with this property is the lack of WiFi. There is a signal in the lobby for a hefty fee, but not in the room (broadband only). When you're travelling you need internet acess , i dont know why they havent gotten up to date on this.

Each flat is privately owned, so its up to the owner to pick out furnishings, so its hit or miss in terms of consistancy, sometimes you get a nicely appointed and well maintained flat, other times you get plastic couches and pealing paint..both for the same price.

If you are staying longer than a week you should know that the sheets and towels are changed once a week so be prepared to wash them yourself if you need to. The washer/dryer in the flat is definately a plus.

I would reccomend this property, but dont expect perfection.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank NYCTraveler10020
Coronado, California
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed at the Nell Gwynn Apartments and were not disappointed. It had everything we needed as well as a fantastic location! (Internet, two flat screen TVs with Sky TV, with a grocery store across the street that is open until 11pm--very important when you are traveling with children). We also liked having the 24hr front desk service. We always felt safe and the gentleman were always quite helpful. It was quiet at night. The closest tube station that we used was Sloan Square. An easy walk down King's road. If you don't like to walk (which we didn't mind at all because it really isn't far) you can take a bus that takes you down the street to the tube station (the 11, for example). In fact, you can take the 11 bus all the way to Trafalgar Square, Victoria Station and to Picadilly Circus if you are going to the theatre or shopping. The stop is literally right on King's Road where Anderson Street ends (the street you walk down to get to Nell Gwynn)! You can walk to Harrod's, shopping and good restaurants. Chelsea is one of the best neighborhood's in London! As for the interior of the flat, it was clean, new, modern and had all the pillows and bedding we needed. The bathroom was clean, new and modern with granite counter-tops. The kitchen was clean and was a "full kitchen" with granite counter-tops and stainless appliances (oven, microwave, toaster) so we could eat in when we wanted. It also has a washing machine for clothes if you need it. It also has a small safe and cubbies for our stuff after we got home. You can have cleaning services, if you want as well. It was a perfect place for our winter holiday! We booked through Danielle Green (London Properties) and she delivered all she promised and was a great communicator and always available. She made sure we had extra chairs and a blow-up mattress which were very helpful. We never felt any stress about our accommodations!!! We stayed in number 804 (one bedroom with a pull-out sofa--the sofa bed is good for little people, not so much for adults).

Room Tip: I think all the flats are individually owned, so make sure you see some photos of the number you are...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank dluxtraveler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed in a 1-bedroom apartment whilst staying in London, rented through an agency - it was modern with a flat-screen tv, fully furnished with internet access in the bedroom. The location is fanatstic, 5 minutes walk to the museums (Natural History, V&A, Sciene Museum...), 5 minutes walk to Knightsbridge (Harrods), Sloane Avenue and just a couple of minutes from South Kensington tube station. Perfect location for families, couples and business trips. Fantastic location and beautifully furnished apartments! Would definitely recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Draycott Avenue are quieter. The 3rd floor and up are best for quieter rooms and better...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Nikki Z
Arizona
Reviewed November 6, 2011

No real complaints here. We had one of the largest if not the largest units in the building. The place is a bit dated but well run and maid services are offered weekdays. A few minor nits: there is no WiFi in the rooms (they said there would be but it was free in the lobby) not fitness facility and the place is a lot more than a short walk to either of two tube stations (South Kensington, Sloane Square). Also, the “concierge” staff is not helpful.
NGH is wonderfully located near shops, restaurants and so on. A lot to explore. I did notice there are more modern places nearby that are far cheaper than the 1,280 GBP we paid.
We liked the concept of staying at a serviced flat as opposed to a hotel. The convenience of having your own kitchen and laundry facilities is great.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank allenweiner
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 29, 2011

First of all, London is a great place to visit with kids, there are so many things to see and travelling by double decker buses and underground is very easy and fun!
We stayed in a simple 2 bedroom apartment with our family of 5. There's sleeping sofa in the living/dining room which sleeps 2. Location is great, walking distance to bus & underground, small supermarket and Starbucks just across the street. Nothing spectacular but very decent and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank gotravelwithkids
San Jose, California
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I can't complain about the location. Literally steps away from shopping, restaurants, and the action of Kings Road. Also as other reviewer said, minutes walk from South Kensington station, Sloane Street shopping and Knightsbridge. The area around the place is very cute lots of cute pubs, salon, and neighborhood eateries, I felt at ease walking around at night by myself.

That said, here are my grumbles about the facilities itself. First walking in there were dirty food crumbs all over the kitchen area floor, I was so grossed out I had to put socks on. Next walking into the bathroom the smell of mold was overwhelming. I literally walked down the street to buy a scented candles to combat the smell. The dishes and cutlery provided were dirty and I ended up having to run anything I wanted to use through the dishwasher again. Flip on the TV and guess what there is Sky but literally all the channels are blocked out. Don't advertise that you have Sky if you don't really have it!

A couple days into my stay I want to use the washing machine/dryer, I think wow how convient, no no no, after doing a load my clothes they now smell like they have been soaked in mildew, yummy! Ok so now it is bed time, excited to rest after a long day pull back and lie down on literally a board. I mean this bed is like sleeping on a park bench. Not even a matress pad to soften it up a bit. Just lying on bare springs (the pillows were also hard as a rock.) Finally get to sleep and am woken up to a bright and early wake up call of the garbage bins downstairs thundering around. I'm not sure if this is a one time deal but during the course of my 9 day stay I was awaken by these lovely noises each morning.

I mean if you are truly on a budget, or don't plan on spending any time in your room I guess this place is tolerable. But for me I can easily say I won't be coming back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo