Tripadvisor
London

“Authentic cuisine, huge portions, very reasonably priced”

La Porchetta Pollo Bar
Ranked #3,826 of 26,737 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Reviewed January 21, 2020

The title says it all. One of the few restaurants left in the area where you can get an excellent quality main for under £10. The portions are huge so avoid getting starters. Staff are friendly and the menu is expansive. Be sure to try a calzone and get a seat by the door as you walk in so that you can marvel in the view of the pizzas being made freshly in front of you!

6  Thank vanessatravel888
Write a reviewReviews (566)

Reviewed January 8, 2020

My favourite Italian restaurant. Lovely atmosphere and I love the decor, particularly of the pig and rooster on the wall. Every dish I’ve tried has been perfect, especially the spaghetti bolognese!

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed January 7, 2020

I visited last Friday night for a friend's birthday and we decided to head to La Porchetta as it appeared to offer gluten pasta on its menu. I was assured by two separate servers that the pasta dishes were all gluten-free so long as I asked for it as an option, which I happily did... my alarm bells were a little raised, however, when before sitting down to order I was asked by one server whether or not rice contained gluten... but hey ho, I brushed it off as basic naivety. Once we had taken a seat I checked again about the sauces and was assured they fine as long as I ordered the correct pasta. We order.

I had Fusilli Zucchine e Avocado, and when it arrived, the waiter referred to it as gluten-free, with the pasta that I was served being spaghetti instead of fusilli which suggested to me that it was indeed a separately prepared dish, which is what had been assured to me. (I did have to ask for the advertised avocado as that was missing, but in retrospect that was quite trivial as it didn't last in my stomach for that long anyway) I happily tucked in, blissfully unaware of my fate.

The dish tasted nice enough, and the portion size was very generous, so thumbs up there guys- but alas, it was not meant to be... Within an hour or so after leaving the restaurant I felt uneasy, and within half an hour of that, I was leant over my toilet bowl regurgitating the evening's meal- avocado and all... I sprayed the town beige as it were...

This is my usual reaction if I have eaten more than just trace elements of gluten so unfortunately, I can only assume that the dish- pasta, sauce or otherwise either contained it as an ingredient or it was heavily contaminated. So as a coeliac, I cannot recommend La Porchetta Pollo and will not be returning.

But in all earnest, I do think it's negligent to advertise allergen options as being available without being able to implement the correct precautions. Fortunately for me, the vomiting is as bad as it gets in the short term and that's still pretty unpleasant. I can only imagine what kinds of reactions people with more severe allergies could suffer from basic negligence, so I hope that the correct training and research are implemented at your restaurant as soon as possible.

Reasonable prices though, if you can keep it down!

Kind Regards,
Jonathan

3  Thank JThrow
Reviewed January 5, 2020

We ate here before seeing Mary Poppins with the kids (10 & 7). The food was absolutely fabulous. Really authentic tasty italian food and great value. Only advisory would be the portions are so huge that you may prefer to skip the starter and go straight for the main!

Reviewed December 30, 2019

We always seek this place out when visiting london. Food is always hot and tasty and the staff are friendly and efficient. Prices are very good too. We will keep returning whenever we visit London.

Date of visit: December 2019