“excellent”

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

been there once and the food is tasty! I would definitely recommend if you are into Caribbean cuisine.

Visited April 2013

London
“Delicious food, friendly service and lovely atmosphere!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Popped in here last night for dinner and the food was delicious! Superb goat curry (best I've tasted in London), excellent starters and friendly service to go with it. We took a few beers along with us which wasn't a problem at all. Will definitely revisit soon - excellent value for money and good to know they also do take-away (whilst we were in, someone who had travelled from Croydon came in to pick up his take-away, explaining he didn't have anywhere as good close to him..) I fully recommend the goat curry with rice and peas, but next time I'll try something else from their mouth watering menu.
Top tip - phone ahead and book a table; we phoned just an hour before visiting, but it meant we had a table when we arrived, and they seemed pleased to know we were coming - just thought I'd mentioned that after reading some of the other reviews below.

• Visited April 2013
Hong Kong
“average food, terrible service”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Like other reviewers before me, I completely agree about the terrible service we received. It's a Ma&Pa shop so hospitality isn't that great. The woman was very displeased as soon as we stepped into the establishment; asking if we had booked a table. When we said no, she sneered and remarked that we should have called ahead - even though the restaurant was near empty.

The food was very simple. We ordered the jerk chicken and stewed beef. We had even asked for deep-fried plantains, but she had not clarified the order and argued that we were only debating it and didn't place the order with her.

In the future, as a tourist, I would simply avoid this restaurant completely. We only went there because my friend was craving Caribbean food.

• Visited March 2013
London
“Good food - terrible service”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The food here is great and it's the only reason I have been back several times. I'm a local and have been visting this cafe for a couple of years and the service has got worse and worse. It's almost as if the more popular the cafe has got the worse the service has become. Sheila (the owner) is unbelievably rude, Otis (the other owner and the chef) is much nicer and friendlier when he comes out of the kitchen. It's such a shame that the service is so bad - I've heard the owner loudly being rude about customers in the kitchen (and it's a small place) and experienced her rudeness when waiting to order/enquiring about making a reservation (so much so I was not allowed to change my main course order two minutes after making my original order which included strarters).

I would love to recommend this cafe as the food really is great but unfortunately (and as other reviewers have mentioned) the service is terrible and not for the faint-hearted.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank BikeExplorer
London, United Kingdom
“very good BUT...”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Basically, you will not find better value for money ANYWHERE in London (with the possible exception of brick lane beigel bakery). But I am a regular (ish) customer here and have a well experienced opinion.
The food is sometimes brilliant. Often I have delighted in every single mouthful of a variety of complimentarily spiced dishes
BUT... its not guaranteed. Its never awful, but sometimes a bit average and much too salty.
As for the customer service? haha! One day this place will be famous like Wonk Kei's chinese restaurant in soho was in the 80's! I find it amusing, but its certainly not for the feint hearted. Unless you like a good battle of wills I suggest you agree with everything the lady says and do as youre told, and you'll be fine. Otherwise, just keep your head down and enjoy the huge tasty portions! Think of it as going to eat at your rather feisty aunts house, who youre a little bit scared of, but where the food alone is worth the risk of a tongue lashing for not coming round more often!
And dont worry, her bark is much worse than her bite.

• Visited February 2013