“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing - Helen Keller”
Review of London Detours

London Detours
Ranked #164 of 716 Tours in London
More attraction details
Owner description: We take great pride in showcasing the creative side of London with our amazing walking tours. Discover the History, Street Art and Community through the streets of the Capital. Come join the adventure and explore.
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My first time in London and I learned more history than I expected to. The walk was super fun especially if you are into architecture and photography!!! I'm not big on literature but Joseph definitely inspired me to read some classics for the next time I go on another tour with him!!!! I even picked up a paper back Oliver twist after the tour!!!! <3 the tour!!!! Joseph tries really hard to be very whitty and humorous... He totally caters to what your tour group
Wants to see!! I swear you will become a better people watching after following him for a day. And not just that.... You will be a PRO at standing in front of walls!! seriously, A WALL Pro in londontown!

Reviewed September 19, 2011

I recently took part in a tour by London Detours when my friend had organised it as part of my hen celebrations. From the beginning it was fun and relaxed. Joe our tour guide Joe was very entertaining and funny as well as telling us things about London we never knew. All of us on the trip are from London but Joe managed to show us quirky and interesting things we had never seen. Joe was able to adapt to the needs of the group after we decided that we wanted to do some pub touring! He was able to take us to good places and gaged the interests and needs of the group. The added embarrassing stores and props that my friend had given him all added to a seriously fun experience and something I will never forget. I would recomend these tours and thanks to Joe and London Detours.

1  Thank jollyh
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Having previously lived in London, I was used to the 'walking with purpose' style of travelling. Looking straight ahead, and getting to the place we needed to be as quickly as possible.

Walking from the station to our meeting point at Monument, I looked around only to see street signs, and ignored so much history in such a short journey. But 4 hours on this tour and I saw a completely different side to London. One that I knew existed but didn't take a step back to really acknowledge.

The tour group consisted of an Australian couple, myself and our guide, Joe. It was nice to know that although the tour had a structure, we could personalise it to take our own little adventures. I suppose that is one of the many perks to walking around in a small group.

One of the people on our tour was very interested in Shakespeare, and had studied some of his work at university. Herself and Joe shared anecdotes about the writer, and we all learned something new in the process. Joe told us that a lot of his stories and nuggets of information came from people on his tours and you could tell that he had a genuine interest in the stories you shared as well.

When the itinerary said that the tour would be 4 - 4.5 hours long, I didn't think I would be able to make it through the day or there wouldn't be enough to do in order to fill the time. But in all honesty, I don't think it was long enough. I craved more information, everything we walked past - I wanted to know the story behind it. And a lot of the time, Joe knew the story.

He showed great passion for London, and made it obvious that it wasn't just a day job for him, but also a hobby. Joe had clearly invested a lot of time into exploring London, instead of just reading it from books. He knew the side roads and the best places to get a duck sandwich and good cup of coffee. He made you feel comfortable enough that you could just interrupt him at any point to ask a question or go off on a tangent to something that he had said. He was a great tour guide, and it was a great tour.

I could easily recommend it to anyone, living in London or not. These tours can teach you things from historical facts to the origin of famous phrases. I can guarantee everyone will go away from this experience knowing something that they didn't know before.

5  Thank RLaytonHenry
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Really enjoyed my London Detours tour it was both interesting and entertaining especially loved Borough Market and Southwark Catherdral - would thoroughly recommend it.

1  Thank Lesley M