“Great location, clean and friendly. Don't expect a palace!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lonsdale Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Lonsdale Hotel
Ranked #1,047 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Antwerp
“Great location, clean and friendly. Don't expect a palace!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Having read previous reviews the night before my stay I was very nervous about what I would find here. However - the hotel was in a great location, the service was friendly, the hotel itself although in desperate need of a make-over was very clean. The bed linen and towells were up to standard. If you turn a blind eye to patchwork carpets and old damp stains on the ceiling - for a couple of nights this hotel is fine. Just don't expect a palace and don't expect any added extras like coathangers and a glass in your room. You get what you pay for! (Just about)

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank RosieAntwerp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I realise London is expensive but £75 a night for a room here is a bit of a cheek. Especially as that's without breakfast included.

Dated doesn't even begin to cover it. I'm not a fussy traveller - a bed and a loo will do me!- but the carpet was 1960s tap room, the bathroom was phone box size and my new shoe box was bigger than the TV. It had colour problems.

The shower flooded. Twice. I did report it. The toilet flushed and water kept flowing loudly long after the cistern had replenished itself.

Dirty windows with bars up... I just wasn't feeling this place. I'm never negative in reviews, but the only good thing I could say is the bed was really comfy.

It's quite tucked away too.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank cps37

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Hamburg, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I booked at the Lonsdale from the 13th -15th of May 2013. Just before i arrived i saw the terrible reviews others had posted, and hoped that they just had high expectations and were fussy, all i needed was a bed to sleep in, so how bad could it be? in short : TERRIBLE, the place is run down and awful. The room had squares of carpet that were not joined together or attached to the floor, the room was hot, but I dared not open the window as i thought if i did it would never close again. I was exhausted, so thought i would have no trouble sleeping even though it was noisy with thin walls. However, despite my exhaustion i woke up about 5 times in the night, as the door (right next to my head) was loose, and the rattling when others opened and closed doors sounded like someone knocking loudly on my door. This is the first hotel i have ever stayed at where i checked to see if the bed sheets were clean (they were). I was given two small (bathmat/hand towel) sized towels, and when i asked for a larger towel was given a 3rd bathmat as no other towels were available. Two of these were not clean. On top of all this, on the 2nd night i returned to discover that someone had been in my room, gone through all my things and stolen some valuable items. It then turned out that all the rooms on the first floor had been broken into. The hotels response to this was very unsatisfactory, they didn't even warn returning residents on the 1st floor that their room may have been broken into, just gave them the keys and let them find out for themselves. The only information I really got was that they were not responsible for the loss of my items, even though NEGLIGENCE on their part was clearly a factor - with flimsy, insecure locks, and their failure to monitor people entering the building (it is possible to enter the building and go up to the rooms without the reception area seeing you). Further, as I later found out that items had been stolen from a room the day before I was upset that the hotel hadn't warned us to keep an eye on valuable items.
The hotel also continued to check guests in without warning them about the breach in security, when I warned the other guests I was offered to stay in another "sister hotel" which i agreed to do (as i no longer felt safe at the lonsdale). This sister hotel (the Berkley Court) was only slightly better than the lonsdale.
My advice would be to STAY ANYWHERE OTHER THAN HERE !!!! even for the cheap price you can get better, and safer, accommodation at a hostel.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Room Tip: FInd a room at ANY other establishment that is not affiliated with the Lonsdale
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank a w
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Tuesday night 14th May 2013. Because my hotel room was BURGLED on Wednesday 15th May 2013, and we were warning other guests of the security breach and risk, we were transferred to the sister hotel in Marble Arch, which was only marginally better. (the Berkley Court Hotel)
This 'hotel' was going to get an honest, balanced review from me after having paid for 2 nights accommodation in advance, at £45 per night per person, but after staying one night and having a bad night, and bad service, and then having been BURGLED the next afternoon while I was out, I decided I OWED it to anyone who checks this site to know the truth about this 'hotel'.
The value for money doesn't exist. For £45 per night you would at least expect to have a room with a toilet to go when you need to go... But my mistake, I was told by the receptionist, was not booking an ENSUITE room. I had booked a single room only.
The bedroom was LARGE, with an extra bed, and a cupboard shower box standing alone. The shower box has a basin.
The paint has been clearly flung on the walls. There was a massive cobweb in the "shared toilet" at the end of the corridor.
From the look of the hotel you know that little or no care has been taken with the building interior, and you can expect to receive the same lack of care and poor treatment from the hotel staff in the service you receive.
The bed which is in terrible condition (springs digging into your back) has only a sheet and a duvet covering.
The massive window overlooking the entrance street doesn't lock shut - no security and no safety.
The window rattles terribly at night if there is any wind. Don't think you will get a good nights sleep here! (Room 9)
There is NO cupboard space to pack your clothes and no railing either. No hangers, nothing.
The telephone didn't work.
I had to call reception from my mobile and tell her the phone wasn't working. She asked me if I had plugged the phone into the socket. The phone doesn't have a socket.
I asked for a blanket as it was cold at night and had to wait 30 minutes before eventually deciding to go ask in person in my pyjamas at 11.30pm at night.
When the unfriendly receptionist finally brought a blanket it was a flimsy duvet innards from Primark without a cover.
I told her about the noise levels from the street and that the window didn't close and lock properly. She said the hotel was full and there was nothing they could do.
I eventually felt asleep from exhaustion.
The next day I was out of the hotel to write an exam, and when I returned, there was a police car outside.
6 of the rooms on the first floor, (including mine) had been BROKEN INTO and BURGLED.
The reaction from the staff was blasé and nonplussed at best.
All they could say was they were not responsible or liable for loss to any goods.
Luckily I had all my valuables with me, but the lady next door wasn't so lucky. Neither was another couple had had had their phones stolen the day before.
The reception and staff didn't bother to warn any of the other guests, and neither did they report the theft to the police.
My neighbour had her kindle stolen, her iPhone charger and a brand new bottle of perfume.
The hotel didn't even bother trying to compensate her for her loss, even though this is THEIR fault for allowing a CRIMINAL onto their property and allowing him access to the building and our rooms, and our personal possessions.
When the police were dealing with the theft incident at the Lonsdale hotel in London, the owner of the hotel refused to speak with the police.
The Yale locks on the rooms are so flimsy. The rooms are not secure.
Why would you book a hotel room that won't even guarantee your safety????
You have been WARNED!!! BEWARE!!!!!!

Room Tip: Tip: don't touch this hotel with a BARGE POLE!!!!! If you have any doubt about this review, fee...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank HaveBagsWillTravel13
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

As I checked out I booked a room for two weeks later, when I arrived they said they had no rooms, then claimed I'd booked the wrong date! Since I always use my iPhone calendar, and had it open when I made the booking, that is not possible. However, people do make mistakes and I would chalk it up to just a mistake except they were rude and unapologetic, then said I should pay for their mistake. Lesson: if you expect your room to be booked at this hotel make sure you have an email confirmation! They are unreliable.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Julian888
Cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I arrived and was told they had "booked me into our sister hotel" - it wasn't too far, a ten minute walk - but ten minutes further away from where I wanted to be the next morning. I cannot review this hotel as they were unable to provide me with the room I had booked over 3 months previously. The hotel they did send me to was terrible - I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy - so if they try and fob you off with The Gresham - say no and go elsewhere

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank dumbging
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I needed somewhere to just rest my head whilst attending meetings in the Chancery Lane area. Sorting by low price an offer of a single room for £35 caught my eye, ludicrously low for the area. The hotel was also within walking distance of my meetings, and of restaurants/theatres via a short taxi ride. On checking, this price was for a room only, with no meals, no ensuite facilities, and no internet. No Internet is usually a problem for me, but I was not that likely to be in the room long, except for sleeping, not so in this case..

The hotel was in a fairly smart terraced street with quite a number of other hotels in it. From the exterior it looked as per the others. I mentioned the number of hotels, and the receptionist, a friendly Asian lady, did say that the rooms in those were probably better, but presumably far more expensive, than here..

On the downside the hotel had probably seen better days, but was as clean and presentable as it could be. My room had a perfectly acceptable single bed, with clean sheets, and a sink with hot and cold water. It was warm, had storage space, a small Freeview TV (I had to goback and get the remote control from reception), towels and soap.

Having had my meeting, and a meal out, I arrived back at gone 11.30, and a receptionist was still on duty. The bed was comfortable, but I rarely sleep well in strange beds, and the curtains did let in the street lights, so maybe a problem for those who need total darkness.. Also the walls must be quite thin as the person in the next room with the very bad, and frequent, cough, was a bit of a nuisance.. I was just a bit unlucky in this respect.

In the morning I noticed there was no glass for a drink of water, but after a shower I contacted a new receptionist who directed me to a 'kitchen' where I could find one. Not exactly well equipped, apart from a fridge freezer, I did manage to find a clean cup. I presume this area was for guests who just wanted to make a cup of coffee or tea. Not a problem for me as I knew breakfast was not included and there were breakfast cafes nearby.

The toilet and bathroom were on the same floor a few yards away. The bathroom was beautifully warm and the bath had a perfectly acceptable overhead shower. The water was hot and did not vary in temperature, so was more than adequate. It could have done with lick of paint though..

As a result I booked another night, and got the same rate, and the same room. Room 21.
That evening I was back earlier and used my laptop. There were a number of internet signals and I found one that allowed you to buy time. Maybe it was servicingone of the nearby hotels? The rate was a bit steep, £10 for 24 hours, but I paid, and found it as good as in many other hotels. A result, as I was able to do some work for an hour or two.

Again not the greatest night's sleep as Mr Rasping Cough was still in residence..

Checked out the following day by just handing in the key. I hadn't used the phone, and there was obviously no mini-bar, so a rapid exit.

In summary it was as I expected and very good value. I have given it an overall very good rating based mainly on the price. Had it been a Five star rated hotel it would have got significantly less. Not a place to take the good lady for a plush few days away, but I got exactly what I wanted from it, and would consider it again in the future.

Room Tip: I was in room 21, small, high ceilings, warm and perfectly adequate for an overnight stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business