The Lonsdale Hotel
$251
$211
Trip.com
  • Pool
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$174
Hotel 41(London)
$1,049
Excellent 5/5
  • Room Service
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Booked for 4 nights - didn't stay after looking at 3 rooms on different floors. The building is a rabbit warren of corridors and doors - getting out of it in a fire would be impossible, not helped by steep, loose carpeted stairs. All 3 rooms conditions were just awful - black damp on walls and ceilings; window 'coverings' were filthy and none fitted; furniture and fittings were filthy, unusable and dangerous; dirty bedlinen; cheap and dangerous fitting floor coverings; unsafe electrical fittings. I have complained to Booking.com; informed the Camden Borough Council Environmental Health Department; and Fire Authority - this place should not be operating. I didn't expect a palace for the price but this was beyond belief - they've kept £40 as cancellation for the first night - I'm trying to get this refunded - they don't deserve to receive anyone's money for thinking these atrocious standards are acceptable. Booking.com need to look at this place - AND NOT INCLUDE IT IN THEIR LISTINGS FOR ANY AMOUNT OF COMMISION!! - the travelling public deserve much, much better service from this booking agency.

Room Tip: Stick to a chain hotel - you know what you're getting.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Not a bad budget hotel considering the price and location. Sheets were clean, bed was comfortable. Location ideal in the heart of Bloomsbury, between Russell Square and Bedford Square near the British Museum and London University campuses

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Julian888
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Without doubt the worst hotel I've ever stayed in regardless of the room rate. The place was scruffy with scuff marks on the walls in the hallway and the room wall. The curtains were hanging off the rails and the heating was on full blast and I couldn't figure out how to turn it down with the result that we had to keep the window open all night allowing the traffic and street noise to keep us awake. The TV was a tired old colour portable with the tube on the blink and the bathroom was a plastic moulded cell which I had to practice yoga to get in and use the loo with the door shut! The absolute capper was the constant itching and scratching at night....all night indicating the presence of bed bugs. Yes you read it right, bed bugs in 2013! The receptionist was only interested in taking my payment on arrival and didn't seem remotely interested in the quality of our stay so I didn't 'complain' we just left at 6:30 in the morning and vowed we'd never stay in such a place again. I'm all the more peeved in that I payed the elevated rate of £58 for a superior room. (with superior bed bugs I guess) Lord only knows what a basic room would have been like, I shudder to think? Take my advise and please don't stay here, pay a little more and you'll be able to find a much better standard of accomodation in the same area. I will read the reviews before I book another hotel in London again that's for sure.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was, thankfully, only there for one night. The room and hotel were not as described on Booking.com. Beds were awful. Bathroom dirty. No mirror in the bedroom. No restaurant. No Wifi. I had to go down a winding staircase to the basement and asked for help to carry my case as I have a wrist injury. I was very rudely told that there was no help and the woman on the desk was pregnant so she wouldn't assist. There was insufficient hand rails on the staircase to hold, The carpet was loose on the treads and frankly a death trap. I had to practically beg for a plastic cup to rinse my teeth. I would never, ever stay here again and would suggest that you stay well clear.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else and pay more. This may seem like good value for money but it itsn't.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Lois F
Reviewed February 6, 2013

As soon as we entered I knew it was a mistake and hoped the room would be at least better than the shabby interior. Marks and cracks up the stair case only filled me up in dread. After climbing right to the top and navigating through the maze we eventually reached our room. No where near the descrption and photos advertised on the website.

Inside the room we found writting on the walls, dirty sheets, bed post taped together, sockets half off the wall were a few examples. i do have phots to post and shall be in due course!

We didnt stay long.

We quickly booked another hotel and were promised a full refund however the manger will not allow this and only given us half.

Morale of the story do not waste your time and money on this hotel you will have a better time somewhere else!

Room Tip: There arent any
Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple