“The worst "hotel" I have ever stayed in”
Review of The Lonsdale Hotel

The Lonsdale Hotel
Ranked #1,021 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“The worst "hotel" I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

THIS PLACE IS AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN. My room was dark, dirty and depressing. The mattress was too small for the bed and had stained sheets. The wardrobe was collapsing and the television didn't work. The first room given to my relatives (67 and 69 years old) was almost on the roof but had excellent ventilation as the window was rotting and falling out of the frame. After asking to have my relatives relocated due to the danger of death should a fire break out (only a matter of time) they were given a room in the basement which again had a TV which didn't work, a bathroom with no working lightbulb and when the hot tap was turned on there was sewage coming through the shower plug hole. There was no wardrobe and no hanging facilities. There were no tea and coffee making facilities in either room and although there was a picture of a pleasant dining room on the website, there wasn't actually a breakfast service. Horrendous in every way, dangerous to all occupants and should be closed with immediate effect.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel or even ask a tramp to share their duvet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Turin, Italy
Reviewed September 30, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE !!...whatever price you are offered, it is dirty, smelly and above all DANGEROUS especcially if you are upstairs...no fire extiguishers or properly signed fire exit plan..it needs shutting down...AND there are plenty of hotels in this area which for 20-30pounds more a night are MUCH better, if you haven't got the message yet: DO NOT SYAY HERE!!

Room Tip: choose a room in another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

essex
Reviewed September 29, 2012

How they can call this a hotel I do not know. It was a disgrace. Dirty, shabby and I think that basically it should be shut down - I am sure it cannot have a fire certificate. I was appalled to be charged £75 for one night in a basement room that can only be described as disgusting.Don't stay here.

Room Tip: It has NO good rooms, we spoke to another couple of people.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kampala
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Centrally located between the many leafy gardens around the British Museum, this moderately priced hotel looks like a good idea at first. Given the price, it is understandably shabby, but still surprisingly unfriendly. The bathroom in the hall is somewhat icky and the bedsheets in your room doubtful. But that's still okay. Really. What's not is the cancellation practice. Let me explain: if you booked for 3 nights but -- as things happen accidentally in real life -- stay only two you'll be charged for 3 whatever your good reasons. The funniest is that they blame it on booking.com policy although booking.com doesn't charge anything from you. It's not like they're going to lose one night rent if you leave earlier in that touristy part of town. Unacceptable. As there are plenty of options next doors right and left, I could only strongly recommend against staying in Lonsdale hotel. Very un-London2012-like. Oh! and of course no wifi, no fi either. Had I more time I would have lodged a complaint for theft at Holborn police station.

Room Tip: There might be no good room. Everything is worn out.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Great location, rooms grubby, communal bathroom, dirty overall needs a total refurbishment job! No head board on bed. Tv did not work. Reception not overly friendly and check in at 3 pm was a bit late with check out very early at 10am

• Stayed September 2012
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I've just spent a night in, as the guy on the desk himself referred to it, the basement of this place. First of all, I couldn't find the bloody room because all of the doors are plywood bolstered with handwritten numbers scribbled on in marker pen (some crossed out and corrected when they realised they'd made a mistake). The 'en suite' was basically a plastic/fibreglass caravan unit that had been silicone sealed to a small nook at the end of the room. The power sockets looked as though they'd been installed by a concussed amputee, the door lock didn't work properly (I had to wedge a chair against the door before sleeping), and the only way to get hot running water was to wedge the shower head behind the washbasin taps, wait 5 minutes until it ran warm, and fill the sink using that. Budget is budget; this is just a plain dive. Oh, and the rooms displayed on their website must be from a different property because my room looked NOTHING like the images!

• Stayed September 2012
Taunton, Somerset
Reviewed August 30, 2012

So I have stayed in a fair few hotels in my time. Even stayed in a few hostels when traveling but NEVER have I seen anything like The Lonsdale!! We spent approx 10 mins in our room before heading to a coffee shop, browsing the net and finding alternative accommodation!!

From the outside you approach via a fairly clean, quiet street, lined with impressive white fronted buildings. However when you look closely, the tell tale signs are evident. The. Curtains in the first room you can see on the left of the frontage are stained and tied together haphazardly.

You open the front door and the stench that hits you is quite something to behold. I can only describe it as mouldy fousty or damp.. Like the smell of old peoples houses! On the right is an empty room with 'stuff' piled up inside and on the left is the reception area (if you can call it that)..

The hotel seems to be run by an Asian family as between the point of checking in and checking out 30 mins later after finding a lovely Travelodge down the road, the stoney faced receptionist who had checked us in had been replaced by an older just as miserable lady who had her baby in the reception area and a guy who seemed to be floating around.

We were checked into room 38 which has a lovely view of a brick wall and part of a courtyard area with an impressive centre statue (aka an old oven).

Desparate for the loo after a 3 hour journey I squeezed myself into the plastic cubicle. Now some hotels do this plastic cubicle thing really well!! I've stayed in an Ibis with this structure and as long as it is clean, well lit and ventilated its not a problem!! But this was none of those things. I hovered above the broken seat, did my business and proceeded to wash my hands where I was confronted by a soap (should be thankful they provided one I guess) complete with the previous occupants pubic hair! Hmmmm nice.. The shower floor contained enough pubes to knit a winter blanket!!

I then looked around my room. I had booked a family room as traveling with my husband and kids. The walls were stained and dirty. The beds were wonky. Foam matresses, no mattress protectors, 2 sheets and a flimsy bed spread with cigarette burns. My daughter dropped her phone and accidentally kicked it under the bed. My son lifted it up for her. Under the bed was enough dirt and fluff to stuff a king sized duvet. Within minutes I was itching.

The fire regs plaque is on the floor behind the tv and the windows which do open have no restrictors. I would not stay here with small children. I wouldn't stay here at all... I didn't. From looking at other reviews I didn't try to get my money back. Its £180 I could have done without spending on 10 mins of nothing.

On the plus side it did entertain us for a few mins looking at the conditions of the room.

I agree with a lot of other comments. It needs to be shut down. Its not safe. I was also bitten by fleas whilst there. God knows what else I would have been subjected to if I'd slept there.

Don't risk it!! Don't book this hotel thinking that you need something cheap. I saw homeless people on the street who's sleeping bags and shop door front steps looked more appealling than this hotel..

I am writing this from my lovely clean warm airy sweet smelling travelodge room down the road. £30 per night extra but worth it.

I will be reporting them to the City of London Council Environmental Health when I return. I'd urge others to do the same.

DISGUSTING!