“Better than expected...”

Ranked #345 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Whitley Bay
“Better than expected...”
Reviewed July 15, 2008

...after reading previous reviews. I was dreading 1/ check-in taking forever, 2/ railway noise, 3/ nowhere nearby to eat at a weekend, 4/ a scrum for a poor breakfast etc. My fears were unfounded.

1/ On arrival at 7.30pm on a Friday the reception was very busy with people checking in and what looked like a school prom. We were attended to immediately and were in our room within ten minutes. As it was nearly bedtime for our small daughter, I grabbed a takeaway pizza for DW and me from Pizza Express which is about three minutes walk away.

2/ Our room was right on Fenchurch St. station platform but do you know what, we could barely hear the trains, the lines mustn't have any joints there because you don't hear any of that clunkety-clunk train noise. You could just hear some of the station announcements but only just. Yes, we would have loved to have been lucky and got a view of the Tower but we weren't so the curtains just stayed closed most of the time. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom although a bit on the small side was reasonably equipped with nice toiletries.

3/ If you head away from the Tower into the city you will find a lot of the places, even little convenience shops closed for the weekend but there's a Wetherspoons pub right across the road for a pint and a bite to eat, the aforementioned Pizza Express is close by too. Not fine dining but acceptable reasonably priced grub. On Saturday night we walked to St .Katherine's dock about five minutes away and went to Strada, a chain Italian restaurant. All good, service, food and price. A bottle of wine was about the same as you'd pay at restaurants where I live and the water for the table was bottled filtered tap water FOC. A pleasant surprise in London not to feel your eyes are being taken out. I suppose some may find the area too quiet at night so if you want some kind of massive rave party your probably out of luck round there.

4/ We aren't big breakfast eaters and the selection for Continental breakfast was fine. Cereals, fresh fruit salad, cold meats and cheese, bread rolls etc. Fruit juices weren't of good quality but there was enough selection to have a decent start to the day. The coffee was terrible though, only barely warm when it didn't need to be. Breakfast room was only about a third full at 8.30 am.

We booked this hotel based on price and because it had a pool and a central London location with good access to the tube so we could use that to explore London.

It fitted the bill on all these points, now if only they could warm their coffee up and upgrade me to an Imperial Super Deluxe Maharajah suite next time!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Overlooking the railway platform
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Liverpool
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Booked a tripel room, to dbl beds and a sofabed at c-in (1pm) the eastern european girl told us that housekeeping would come to the room at do the extra bed asap, at midnight this hasnt happent yet, after a phone call asking for a toothbrush and help with the extra bed at man came to our room with the toothbrush, but couldn't be bothed to help us with the sofabed, so we call rep again and after at 1 am, two men came and helped us out with the sofa bed,

the room (1018) was in a need of a refurbishment, most af the staff looked really stressed and the Concierge seemed obessed with knowing where we where going every time we aksed them to get a cab,

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — slow service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Oslo
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Surprisingly bad service. Took over 15 minutes to manage the check in, although I was the only person at the counter. had to pay a fortune for internet access, and it's not even Wi-Fi. I had to get a cable in reception, but it was broken. Rooms OK, but hotel personnel suddenly come in to my room early in the morning to deliver a message. The next morning the wake up call came 20 minutes too early.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Levittown, New York
Reviewed July 1, 2008

This was a business trip for my wife that my daughter and I added ouselves to so no choice in Hotel for us. I found the Hotel Very clean, neat and friendly. They were responsive to any requests we had. My wife asked for a room change to the 11th floor after third floor room overlooked a working office. The higher room had a nice view of St Paul's Dome. This is a very convenient spot for Tower of London and BRidge. Right down the block from Tower Hill Stop and accessable to #15 bus.
With the window open you could hear some noise from the street but it was not overwhelming. And that was with a prom there that night. It was a 15-20 minute ride to any of the city highlights and I think that was fine! Did not partake it any of the fitness or restaurant amenities. OVerall a good place to stay, even if you don't have business in this part of the city as my wife did.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2008

I stayed at the Grange City with my girlfriend for a long weekend in June. We got a deal on the hotel website including continental breakfast and access to the hotel golf simulator.

We arrived early in the morning and had our luggage stored by the efficient concierge (for free) until our rooms were ready. The lobby and other public areas were very well appointed, and the inital impression was very good.

This only got better when we got into our room. It was spacious, tastefully furnished, and well equipped with lots of tea/coffee, toiletries etc (probably more coffee than any other hotel I've stayed in!). The entry hallway to the room was nice and wide, and in addition to the bed there was a sofa, two chairs and a coffee table, with a writing table and TV etc along the side of the room. The beds were two singles pushed together, but after the first night the staff made the beds up as one double.

The bathroom wasn't enormous, but was a good size and certainly more than sufficient for our needs during our stay.

Breakfast was good, and included lots of pastries in addition to the usual continental breakfast. There were signs warning people to eat early at weekends to avoid delays in being seated for breakfast, but when we turned up (late) on Saturday and Sunday mornings there were no delays whatsoever.

Our one complaint during the stay was about noise on the Saturday night. There was a ball in a function suite below our room, and the music was quite loud until about midnight. I think this was caused by the opening of a fire door in the function room though because we hadn't noticed the noise until quite late in the evening, and it wasn't such an issue that we bothered to phone the front desk.

The hotel location is perfect for tourists and business trips, situated essentially next door to Tower Hill underground station (zone 1) and within 2 minutes walk of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge.

The leisure facilities are also noteworthy - the sauna, aromatherapy, steam room and pool were all great, and the whirlpool heavenly after a day pounding the streets of London! We also tried the golf simulator which was amazing fun, though I must say it was my first experience of such things so I really can't compare it to anything else. It seemed quite good though!

In summary the Grange City hotel provided a great setting for a weekend in London, with luxurious rooms, good food, very effective staff, and a great location for walking to local sights and getting onto the underground network for going further afield. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Leisure facilities
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I've stayed here a couple of times, most recently for the Royal Ascot race meeting - its handy for Bank Tube and the Waterloo and City Line. Generally the location is good for the City, the West End is easily reachable on the Tube from Bank or Tower Hill.

It has a superbly equipped gym and a really excellent pool, can't imagine there's a better hotel swimming pool anywhere in London.

Bar is ok and not overly pricey and the breakfast again is ok, the standard buffet that you see at most hotels these days.

I have to say the hotel falls down a bit on its rooms. I wasn't overly impressed by the cleanliness of my room and I'm not one of those really picky, fussy types. I think the standard of the rooms are more 4 star than 5.

Service is god though and can't complain about the staff who all seemed pleasant and helpful.

• Liked — Gym
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Toronto
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We stayed at The Grange City Hotel in London from June 18-22, 2008. We got a family room for approx 400 pounds including VAT. It's located just outside the Tower Hill tube station which is very convenient for visiting The Tower of London and many other attractions. We arrived at the hotel early morning on the 18th as we flew in from Toronto. They had a room for us which was great because we were very tired and feeling a bit jetlagged. We stayed in room 409 overlooking the patio area of the hotel where they host outdoor events. The room itself had two double beds and was very clean. Bathroom had a stand alone shower and a separate bath tub. Hotel staff were very nice and helpful. We chose this hotel as I had previously stayed at The Grange Rochester hotel when last in London but this time wanted a hotel with a pool as we were travelling with our teenage daughter. The hotel has a huge indoor swimming pool, hot tub, steam room, sauna and aromatherapy room. A nice thing to have after a long day of walking and sightseeing. Hotel breakfast (continental) was included on the Saturday and Sunday morning which was plenty for us. All you could eat, boiled eggs, toast, cereals, fruit, cheese, etc. You could upgrade to an English breakfast but we chose not to as this was enough for us. The only thing I would like to mention here is that the hotel is located in a business area so there is little to no nightlife nearby the hotel and on weekends its very quiet. This was suitable to us as we had a teenager with us and weren't looking for nightlife. Also, on the Saturday night there was an event taking place at the hotel for the City of London Police Officers... they had the music going downstairs until about 2:00 a.m. and you could hear the bass from the music as we were on the 4th floor - this would have to be the only negative. When we mentioned to the front desk upon checkout they said that normally these events only go on until midnight but I guess the attendees had asked if they could extend it for a couple of hours, I would assume if you were staying on the third floor right above this area it would have been very difficult to sleep. All in all, a great stay at this hotel and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family